Rapier Man at Arms ?

    Message 1 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
      From Gerrard:
      Is there any convention that would not allow a Rapier Man at Arms?

      Not a Master of Arms.

      A Rapier Man at Arms in my minds eye would simply be someone ,that a
      person of experience, would approach so as to gain knowledge, direction,
      and experience .

      ( That person would likely be a Thorbjorn's Hammer )
      They could be approached or could approach those that they wish to guide.

      That person would need to know what it means to be a ' Man of Arms '
      ( Specifically in Rapier )

      Shorter question:
      Is there any convention that forbids me from selecting someone as my Man
      at Arms ( Rapier )?
      Perhaps even referring them as a Rapier at Arms thus eliminating the gender.
      Thanks ( Hey sometimes ya gotta stir the pot ...smiles ! )
      Message 2 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
        In white scarf Kingdoms, the convention is to call them Cadets.
        Is there any reason why you don't want to call them your student?

        --g

        Message 3 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
          I know that Mateo would just refer to them as his (mostly beloved) students...

          but if you want to cause trouble; you could really call them anything including late for dinner as long as it didn't intervene upon current long standing conventions.

          Cainder

          Kelly Wyatt
          SCA: Cainder ingen hui Chatharnaig
          k.wyatt59@...

          To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
            Yes ... Simply because I no longer consider them to be " my student "
            Plus as my Rapier at Arms ...Well that just sounds wayyy more cool.
            Plus it has certain responsibilities...

            Message 5 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
              Now see that could be the loophole I'm looking for .... big smile !!

              Message 6 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                Oh, are you referring to someone post student status? Perhaps Comrades (sp?) in Arms would work and be a little less like the reference to those knights wearing the baldric rather than the belt....?

                To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                From: thltoymaker@...
                Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2012 15:11:57 -0400
                Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Rapier Man at Arms ?

                Yes ... Simply because I no longer consider them to be " my student "
                Plus as my Rapier at Arms ...Well that just sounds wayyy more cool.
                Plus it has certain responsibilities...

                On 9/24/2012 2:50 PM, John Enzinas wrote:

                > In white scarf Kingdoms, the convention is to call them Cadets.
                > Is there any reason why you don't want to call them your student?
                >
                > --g

              • Ross Weaver
                Message 7 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                  On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  > Shorter question:
                  >
                  > Is there any convention that forbids me from selecting someone as my Man
                  > at Arms ( Rapier )?

                  Good taste?

                  Man-At-Arms, or Rapier-At-Arms is a more, SCA thing, "Yeoman Usher" might
                  be a more historically correct title. It could refer to someone who is
                  associated to or paid by a noble that would lend a sword to the noble's
                  cause if needed... (It is also vague enough it could mean many things...

                  ~Wilhelm

                  Message 8 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                    Perhaps ... yet then again what tastes good ?
                    I like the taste of fun.
                    Comradeship
                    Connection
                    Lifting
                    Lineage etc... Its mostly something I would likely only do just once...
                    ( If I do it at all ) There are other factors in play !

                    However that is a very valid point! Thanks !!

                    Message 9 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                      Yes that might be a better term ...!

                      Message 10 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                        Yes we are all students of fencing. ( It is a continuing process )
                        Yet at some point there must be a " No longer a student of mine."
                        ( In general )
                        Yes I learn from them and they still learn fro me .
                        Yet that is true of any one who fences anyone.

                        So for myself once " One of my students ' has learned most of what I
                        teach and then takes it in their own direction and then applies it in
                        new ways they aren't really my students...
                        Thoughts ??
                        Message 11 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                          On Mon, Sep 24, 2012 at 2:33 PM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:
                          > From Gerrard:
                          > Is there any convention that would not allow a Rapier Man at Arms?
                          >
                          > Not a Master of Arms.

                          Some knights take "Men at Arms" as a role for someone who isn't a
                          squire but might become one, someone who they want to encourage or
                          help grow. I think it would confuse people to use the same phrase for
                          a different purpose.

                          I'm confused by your question, though, what would your relationship be
                          with this person? Are you equals in knowledge? Equals in skill?
                          Helping each other improve equally? Helping each other improve in
                          different skills? Is one person more experienced than the other?

                          "Rapier at Arms" sounds like the sword you're holding in your hand,
                          not like a person. Comrade in Arms sounds like a person you fight
                          with regularly, whom you might train with, and you're fairly equal in
                          skill and experience with that person.

                          Message 12 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                            An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier

                            Message 13 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                              I really like Comrade at Arms.
                              For a variety of reasons:
                              Less offensive / Less confusing
                              I have yet to create the Parameters of what a Comrade at Arms would
                              entail, however Its very likely the most important things.
                              Like Play safe
                              Have Fun
                              Learn
                              Teach
                              Grow
                              Promote
                              ( Embrace defeat ) etc..
                              ( so far Im just formulating seeking advice on concept )
                              Which this discussion has been very fruitful !!
                              May thanks and other thoughts most welcome.
                              If you wish or prefer contact me at thltoymaker@...

                              Message 14 of 16 , Sep 24, 2012
                                Laughs .. fair enough
                                Yet Gerrard has had many many teachers and still does.
                                As you ( Eyrny might recall ) I actually failed my first authorization 3
                                times. ( Terrible calibration wild flailing etc... ) I really had to
                                guess at stuff / watch / ask many many questions seek advice and
                                practice practice practice... There wasn't that much fencing in The
                                March ( If any ) Back in the day !

                                On 9/24/2012 7:12 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw wrote:

                                > An Alumnus of the Gerrard School of Rapier
                                >
                                > Eyrny

                              • tamlin_01
                                Message 15 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                                  Toymaker, Why the need for the label when a good frendship needs no lables or constraints applied?

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Sep 25, 2012
                                    Just seeking some opinions ... Perceptions ... musings ...
                                    nothing more...