MiT training

  • Greg Hounsell
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
      "I would think that allowing a mentor (or even a "mentor for the day") to
      check in with the MiC at the start of an event and then staying with the
      MiT/CiT throughout the process for the day would be an acceptable
      compromise."

      I like this idea. As well, getting back to something more formalized and
      structured overall as has been discussed would be wonderful. It would be
      very helpful to the MiT to know what is expected, whom to talk to before the
      event, expectations and consistency in training. And as has been mentioned,
      often the MiC is very busy (or not wanting to teach),and having other
      marshals there that can take on the 'apprentice' for the day is good. To
      help guide as was stated is the right attitude to get back to and not just
      drill on the rules and left to fend for themselves per se. In this process I
      think it is also important and behooves the MiT to arrange/ask before-hand
      that they will be in attendance at that event and if they just show up..
      there may not be someone to "mentor" them for the day. It works both ways.

      Might it not also be an idea that if there is an MiT in the list that they
      are denoted some way by say something like a coloured arm band? That way
      other marshals and combatants can clearly see and remember that this person
      is someone in training and give them some extra consideration in their
      judgements etc.

      my 2 cents

      Greg Hounsell

      _____

      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
        Greetings all,

        With War of the Trilliums a mere few weeks away, I wanted to give everyone a quick teaser of what they can expect on the rapier list. While the proper schedule is still a work in progress, here are just a few of the things that we have planned:

        TRM 'Pennsic Champions' Tourney
        The Second Annual Galbraith Cup
        Warlord Tourney
        Normans vs. Saxons Tourney
        Woods battles
        'Newbie' Tourney
        Cut and Slash class - taught by THL Albrecht
        The Trillium Dagger Tourney
        Rigid Parry Tourney
        'The Normans/Saxons are Invading!' (hay bales allowing)

        Keep also in mind that this year, due to the favourable holiday Monday, we will be fencing on both Saturday and Sunday, so bring your energy and enthusiam, and I am very much looking forward to seeing you all there.

        The Logistical Stuff: Authorizations (primary only) *may* be held, space/marshals allowing. Any marshals with fencers wishing to attempt primary authorizations at WoT will need to advise me of their plans a minimum of a week prior to the event. Please keep in mind that it will be the 'authorizing' marshal to arrange for two other authorizing marshals.

        Any marshals who would like to bring/assist an MiT/CiT please contact me in advance. Any MiTs/CiTs wishing to assist at the event, please contact me with the name of your 'supervising' marshal, or better yet, have your 'supervising' marshal contact me instead.

        I am still in need of experienced list masters/mistresses. If anyone is interested, or knows someone who would be interested in helping us out on both Saturday and Sunday, please have them get in touch with me, off list.

        The rapier list will be in the approximately same location as last year, and as with last year anyone who has sunshades, and is willing to share them with the rest of us (set them up, take them down, etc. etc.) will be extremely welcome.

        There will not be an 'official' lunch break on either day, so I would strongly encourage everyone to bring edibles with them. And while we will be supplying a limited amount of water, please remember that it will be hot, and you will lose water and become dehydrated, even if you are just standing around watching a list, so plan on bringing liquids for yourself.

        That's pretty much it! Hope to see you all at Gareth's Melee class at Spring Tune-Up this weekend!

        Rusalka
        RMiC, Trillium War III

      • Alexander McKay
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
          Greetings to Lady Rusalka

          Just wondering if you recieved my missive about contacting Quilliam?

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
            Count me in as field marshall

            Jocelyne