Re: [E_Rapier] Authorizations,

  • L. Tremblay
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2012
      Good points, Gerrard. Let me see if I can clear up confusion.

      Your first authorization must be one of: Heavy Rapier (HR) or Cut &
      Thrust Rapier (CT)
      These two authorizations are separate. If you only authorize in HR,
      then you can only play HR. If you only authorize in CT, then you can
      only play CT. If you want the most possible play, you'll want to get
      both. Some people don't care about one or the other, so maybe they'll
      just get one. Doing both when you first authorize just to get them all
      done is certainly fine, too. Or authorize in one and then get the other
      one later. Whatever you personally prefer.

      In any case, you must have one of the two primaries before you think
      about secondary authorizations.

      The secondaries are: Two Weapon (TW) and Parry Device (PD).

      Two Weapon covers sword+dagger and sword+sword. Parry Device covers
      sword+"something you parry with but can't hit the other person with"
      (and must follow the rules about construction of parry devices in the
      rapier handbook). You will authorize with one form of the secondary
      authorization. You will only be asked to use one form of the secondary
      authorization when you are authorizing. For TW that will be your choice
      of sword+dagger or sword+sword. For PD that will be sword+whatever you
      want. Most likely, that's sword+buckler, or sword+stick, or
      sword+cloak. Could be sword+rubber chicken, though!

      Let's play out an example. Say I am a new fencer and have just done my
      very first primary authorization in HR...

      =====

      Life is good, and I am playing single rapier in tournaments. I later
      decide that it'd be fun to play with sword and dagger, too. So, I buy,
      borrow, or steal a dagger and practice with it. I also spar with other
      people during pickups at events. Eventually, I get good enough with it
      that people are saying I'm ready to authorize, and I myself feel
      comfortable with it. I go to the next event and attempt my two weapon
      authorization using sword and dagger. The friendly marshals there say
      "yep, looks good" and initial my card for Two Weapon (or, for now,
      initial both Dagger and Case on the current beige cards.)

      What they have done is verify that I have the basic ability to play with
      a sword in one hand and a poky thing in the other. Because I have
      practiced with and become comfortable enough with a dagger that I used
      it to do my TW authorization, I am happy to go enter the tournament that
      day and fight with sword+dagger. All is good, and now I am playing
      single sword and sword+dagger at tournaments regularly.

      Later on, I start thinking "hm, might be fun to play case." So, I buy,
      borrow, or steal a second sword and practice with it. I also spar with
      other people during pickups at events. Eventually I get good enough
      that people say that I am safe with it, and I myself feel comfortable
      with it. I go to the next event, enter the tournament that day, and
      play sword+dagger and sword+sword against various opponents. Because I
      am nice, I will mention to the MiC that I've been practicing with case
      for a while now, but this is my first tournament using it. All is good
      because I took the time to practice with the new form and got feedback
      from other fencers as I got comfortable with it.

      Later on I am thinking "gee, that Cut & Thrust sure looks fun". So I get
      a hard piece for the back of my head and some elbow protection. I think
      about it and conclude that hand protection is probably smart too, so I
      get some nice padded gloves even though they are not required. I
      practice CT at my local practice, and spar with people at events.
      Eventually, people are telling me that I am ready to authorize, and I
      myself feel comfortable with it. I go to the next event and attempt my
      Cut & Thrust authorization. The friendly marshals say "yep, looks good"
      and initial my card for CT.

      Now that I am authorized in HR and CT both, I am permitted to use Two
      Weapon with either of those forms. Because I am pretty new at this CT
      thing, I will first go out get comfortable combining a CT sword with an
      offhand poky thing before taking it into a tournament.

      Even later still I think, "a buckler would be awesome with CT". So, I
      buy, borrow, or steal a buckler and practice with it. I also spar with
      other people during pickups at events. I also use both my CT and HR
      swords while practicing since hey, I have both primary authorizations.
      Eventually people start telling me I am good enough to authorize, and I
      myself feel comfortable with it. I go to the next event and attempt my
      Parry Device authorization with a buckler. The friendly marshals say
      "yep, looks good" and initial my card for PD (or, for now, initial RP
      and NRP on the current beige cards.)

      What they have done is verify that I have the basic ability to play with
      a sword in one hand and a non-poky thing in the other. Because I have
      practiced with and become comfortable enough with a buckler that I used
      it to do my PD authorization, I am happy to go enter the tournament that
      day and fight with sword+dagger, sword+sword, and sword+buckler in both
      CT and HR styles. All is good, and now I am playing those styles at
      tournaments regularly.

      Later on, I start thinking "hm, might be fun to play cloak" So, I make a
      cloak and go to my local practice with it. I also spar with other
      people during pickups at events. Eventually I get good enough that
      people say that I am safe with it, and I myself feel comfortable with
      it. I go to the next event, enter the tournament that day, and play
      sword+dagger and sword+sword and sword+buckler and sword+cloak against
      various opponents, using both HR and CT styles. Because I am nice, I
      will mention to the MiC that I've been practicing with cloak for a while
      now, but this is my first tournament using it. All is good.

      Eventually, I think "Hm, epee?" But I quickly come to my senses and buy
      a longsword instead.

      =====

      Hope that helps!

      Lars