Re: [E_Rapier] Authorizations,

    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2012
      So just so I'm clear on this change. Which I'm not ...

      Single authorization must still happen ..??
      In Heavy ?
      and now can happen Separately in Cut and Thrust. ??
      Having Cut and Thrust does or does not give you Heavy ??

      Two weapon auth for a new person with no card has to be authed in
      everything even if they dont want it ??
      or do they have to have a full single and dagger authorization then
      when they feel competent they bring out case ??

      Two weapon for already authed in dagger gives you every combination
      of two weapons including Case presuming that Candidate feels they are ready ?

      No real changes in Rigid as currently you can have one or the other or both ??
      However They would have to prove one of the two before they could
      bring out the other once they feel they are competent?

      Non Rigid Perry ... its non rigid ..sooo when you feel competent bring it out ?
    • L. Tremblay
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 19, 2012
        Good points, Gerrard. Let me see if I can clear up confusion.

        Your first authorization must be one of: Heavy Rapier (HR) or Cut &
        Thrust Rapier (CT)
        These two authorizations are separate. If you only authorize in HR,
        then you can only play HR. If you only authorize in CT, then you can
        only play CT. If you want the most possible play, you'll want to get
        both. Some people don't care about one or the other, so maybe they'll
        just get one. Doing both when you first authorize just to get them all
        done is certainly fine, too. Or authorize in one and then get the other
        one later. Whatever you personally prefer.

        In any case, you must have one of the two primaries before you think
        about secondary authorizations.

        The secondaries are: Two Weapon (TW) and Parry Device (PD).

        Two Weapon covers sword+dagger and sword+sword. Parry Device covers
        sword+"something you parry with but can't hit the other person with"
        (and must follow the rules about construction of parry devices in the
        rapier handbook). You will authorize with one form of the secondary
        authorization. You will only be asked to use one form of the secondary
        authorization when you are authorizing. For TW that will be your choice
        of sword+dagger or sword+sword. For PD that will be sword+whatever you
        want. Most likely, that's sword+buckler, or sword+stick, or
        sword+cloak. Could be sword+rubber chicken, though!

        Let's play out an example. Say I am a new fencer and have just done my
        very first primary authorization in HR...

        =====

        Life is good, and I am playing single rapier in tournaments. I later
        decide that it'd be fun to play with sword and dagger, too. So, I buy,
        borrow, or steal a dagger and practice with it. I also spar with other
        people during pickups at events. Eventually, I get good enough with it
        that people are saying I'm ready to authorize, and I myself feel
        comfortable with it. I go to the next event and attempt my two weapon
        authorization using sword and dagger. The friendly marshals there say
        "yep, looks good" and initial my card for Two Weapon (or, for now,
        initial both Dagger and Case on the current beige cards.)

        What they have done is verify that I have the basic ability to play with
        a sword in one hand and a poky thing in the other. Because I have
        practiced with and become comfortable enough with a dagger that I used
        it to do my TW authorization, I am happy to go enter the tournament that
        day and fight with sword+dagger. All is good, and now I am playing
        single sword and sword+dagger at tournaments regularly.

        Later on, I start thinking "hm, might be fun to play case." So, I buy,
        borrow, or steal a second sword and practice with it. I also spar with
        other people during pickups at events. Eventually I get good enough
        that people say that I am safe with it, and I myself feel comfortable
        with it. I go to the next event, enter the tournament that day, and
        play sword+dagger and sword+sword against various opponents. Because I
        am nice, I will mention to the MiC that I've been practicing with case
        for a while now, but this is my first tournament using it. All is good
        because I took the time to practice with the new form and got feedback
        from other fencers as I got comfortable with it.

        Later on I am thinking "gee, that Cut & Thrust sure looks fun". So I get
        a hard piece for the back of my head and some elbow protection. I think
        about it and conclude that hand protection is probably smart too, so I
        get some nice padded gloves even though they are not required. I
        practice CT at my local practice, and spar with people at events.
        Eventually, people are telling me that I am ready to authorize, and I
        myself feel comfortable with it. I go to the next event and attempt my
        Cut & Thrust authorization. The friendly marshals say "yep, looks good"
        and initial my card for CT.

        Now that I am authorized in HR and CT both, I am permitted to use Two
        Weapon with either of those forms. Because I am pretty new at this CT
        thing, I will first go out get comfortable combining a CT sword with an
        offhand poky thing before taking it into a tournament.

        Even later still I think, "a buckler would be awesome with CT". So, I
        buy, borrow, or steal a buckler and practice with it. I also spar with
        other people during pickups at events. I also use both my CT and HR
        swords while practicing since hey, I have both primary authorizations.
        Eventually people start telling me I am good enough to authorize, and I
        myself feel comfortable with it. I go to the next event and attempt my
        Parry Device authorization with a buckler. The friendly marshals say
        "yep, looks good" and initial my card for PD (or, for now, initial RP
        and NRP on the current beige cards.)

        What they have done is verify that I have the basic ability to play with
        a sword in one hand and a non-poky thing in the other. Because I have
        practiced with and become comfortable enough with a buckler that I used
        it to do my PD authorization, I am happy to go enter the tournament that
        day and fight with sword+dagger, sword+sword, and sword+buckler in both
        CT and HR styles. All is good, and now I am playing those styles at
        tournaments regularly.

        Later on, I start thinking "hm, might be fun to play cloak" So, I make a
        cloak and go to my local practice with it. I also spar with other
        people during pickups at events. Eventually I get good enough that
        people say that I am safe with it, and I myself feel comfortable with
        it. I go to the next event, enter the tournament that day, and play
        sword+dagger and sword+sword and sword+buckler and sword+cloak against
        various opponents, using both HR and CT styles. Because I am nice, I
        will mention to the MiC that I've been practicing with cloak for a while
        now, but this is my first tournament using it. All is good.

        Eventually, I think "Hm, epee?" But I quickly come to my senses and buy
        a longsword instead.

        =====

        Hope that helps!

        Lars