Pennsic, Authorizations, and Wannabe Marshals (oh my!)

  • L. Tremblay
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 19, 2012
      Hi all,

      As noted a while back we have these new authorizations. Your dagger or
      case authorizations have transited to two weapon automatically, and your
      rigid or non-rigid authorizations have transited to parry device
      automatically. Of course, we all have beige cards with individual
      authorizations still. If you have only one of dagger/case or
      rigid/non-rigid initialed on your card, feel free to get a marshal to
      initial the appropriate blank spots to reduce chaos when entering
      tournaments.

      However, do bear in mind that the two weapon authorization means that it
      has been established that you have the basic ability to play with a
      sword in one hand and something offensive in the other hand (and
      similarly sword/something defensive for parry device). It is your
      responsibility to ensure that you are comfortable and safe with
      whichever specific forms of the authorization you want to play with
      before you use them in a tournament. I can't think of a better place
      than one of the major wars for getting people to spar with to work on that!

      But please, do take the time to make sure you are comfortable and safe
      before entering the tournament list. It's no different than if you go
      buy a new, shiny, longer, sword while you're there. You need to get
      used to it, so you'll go play with it first before busting out your best
      moves in a tourney.

      I will be available, especially in the first week, to play with people
      who want to work on the alternate forms they may not be feeling as
      comfortable with. For those looking for me, I'm camping with de Taahe
      and should be there on the 29th.

      Also, I will be running the marshal's course at Pennsic, at a place and
      time to be determined. If you want to do the marshal's course, email me
      privately so I can add you to the list and we'll sort out time and place
      when everyone who wants it has arrived.

      Lars

      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 19, 2012
        So just so I'm clear on this change. Which I'm not ...

        Single authorization must still happen ..??
        In Heavy ?
        and now can happen Separately in Cut and Thrust. ??
        Having Cut and Thrust does or does not give you Heavy ??

        Two weapon auth for a new person with no card has to be authed in
        everything even if they dont want it ??
        or do they have to have a full single and dagger authorization then
        when they feel competent they bring out case ??

        Two weapon for already authed in dagger gives you every combination
        of two weapons including Case presuming that Candidate feels they are ready ?

        No real changes in Rigid as currently you can have one or the other or both ??
        However They would have to prove one of the two before they could
        bring out the other once they feel they are competent?

        Non Rigid Perry ... its non rigid ..sooo when you feel competent bring it out ?
      • L. Tremblay
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 19, 2012
          Good points, Gerrard. Let me see if I can clear up confusion.

          Your first authorization must be one of: Heavy Rapier (HR) or Cut &
          Thrust Rapier (CT)
          These two authorizations are separate. If you only authorize in HR,
          then you can only play HR. If you only authorize in CT, then you can
          only play CT. If you want the most possible play, you'll want to get
          both. Some people don't care about one or the other, so maybe they'll
          just get one. Doing both when you first authorize just to get them all
          done is certainly fine, too. Or authorize in one and then get the other
          one later. Whatever you personally prefer.

          In any case, you must have one of the two primaries before you think
          about secondary authorizations.

          The secondaries are: Two Weapon (TW) and Parry Device (PD).

          Two Weapon covers sword+dagger and sword+sword. Parry Device covers
          sword+"something you parry with but can't hit the other person with"
          (and must follow the rules about construction of parry devices in the
          rapier handbook). You will authorize with one form of the secondary
          authorization. You will only be asked to use one form of the secondary
          authorization when you are authorizing. For TW that will be your choice
          of sword+dagger or sword+sword. For PD that will be sword+whatever you
          want. Most likely, that's sword+buckler, or sword+stick, or
          sword+cloak. Could be sword+rubber chicken, though!

          Let's play out an example. Say I am a new fencer and have just done my
          very first primary authorization in HR...

          =====

          Life is good, and I am playing single rapier in tournaments. I later
          decide that it'd be fun to play with sword and dagger, too. So, I buy,
          borrow, or steal a dagger and practice with it. I also spar with other
          people during pickups at events. Eventually, I get good enough with it
          that people are saying I'm ready to authorize, and I myself feel
          comfortable with it. I go to the next event and attempt my two weapon
          authorization using sword and dagger. The friendly marshals there say
          "yep, looks good" and initial my card for Two Weapon (or, for now,
          initial both Dagger and Case on the current beige cards.)

          What they have done is verify that I have the basic ability to play with
          a sword in one hand and a poky thing in the other. Because I have
          practiced with and become comfortable enough with a dagger that I used
          it to do my TW authorization, I am happy to go enter the tournament that
          day and fight with sword+dagger. All is good, and now I am playing
          single sword and sword+dagger at tournaments regularly.

          Later on, I start thinking "hm, might be fun to play case." So, I buy,
          borrow, or steal a second sword and practice with it. I also spar with
          other people during pickups at events. Eventually I get good enough
          that people say that I am safe with it, and I myself feel comfortable
          with it. I go to the next event, enter the tournament that day, and
          play sword+dagger and sword+sword against various opponents. Because I
          am nice, I will mention to the MiC that I've been practicing with case
          for a while now, but this is my first tournament using it. All is good
          because I took the time to practice with the new form and got feedback
          from other fencers as I got comfortable with it.

          Later on I am thinking "gee, that Cut & Thrust sure looks fun". So I get
          a hard piece for the back of my head and some elbow protection. I think
          about it and conclude that hand protection is probably smart too, so I
          get some nice padded gloves even though they are not required. I
          practice CT at my local practice, and spar with people at events.
          Eventually, people are telling me that I am ready to authorize, and I
          myself feel comfortable with it. I go to the next event and attempt my
          Cut & Thrust authorization. The friendly marshals say "yep, looks good"
          and initial my card for CT.

          Now that I am authorized in HR and CT both, I am permitted to use Two
          Weapon with either of those forms. Because I am pretty new at this CT
          thing, I will first go out get comfortable combining a CT sword with an
          offhand poky thing before taking it into a tournament.

          Even later still I think, "a buckler would be awesome with CT". So, I
          buy, borrow, or steal a buckler and practice with it. I also spar with
          other people during pickups at events. I also use both my CT and HR
          swords while practicing since hey, I have both primary authorizations.
          Eventually people start telling me I am good enough to authorize, and I
          myself feel comfortable with it. I go to the next event and attempt my
          Parry Device authorization with a buckler. The friendly marshals say
          "yep, looks good" and initial my card for PD (or, for now, initial RP
          and NRP on the current beige cards.)

          What they have done is verify that I have the basic ability to play with
          a sword in one hand and a non-poky thing in the other. Because I have
          practiced with and become comfortable enough with a buckler that I used
          it to do my PD authorization, I am happy to go enter the tournament that
          day and fight with sword+dagger, sword+sword, and sword+buckler in both
          CT and HR styles. All is good, and now I am playing those styles at
          tournaments regularly.

          Later on, I start thinking "hm, might be fun to play cloak" So, I make a
          cloak and go to my local practice with it. I also spar with other
          people during pickups at events. Eventually I get good enough that
          people say that I am safe with it, and I myself feel comfortable with
          it. I go to the next event, enter the tournament that day, and play
          sword+dagger and sword+sword and sword+buckler and sword+cloak against
          various opponents, using both HR and CT styles. Because I am nice, I
          will mention to the MiC that I've been practicing with cloak for a while
          now, but this is my first tournament using it. All is good.

          Eventually, I think "Hm, epee?" But I quickly come to my senses and buy
          a longsword instead.

          =====

          Hope that helps!

          Lars