Changes to Authorization Rules (3)

  • L. Tremblay
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 8, 2012
      Q. If I authorize in Parry Device, do I have to show that I can use a
      baton, buckler, cloak, and a rubber chicken during the authorization?
      A. No. Bring your favoured parry object to the authorization and use
      it. If you authorize with a buckler and later decide you want to use
      cloak too, practice with it for a while until you and a marshal you know
      think you're good to go with it before you go use it in tournaments.

      Q. Same with Two Weapon?
      A. Yup.

      Q. I dunno, shouldn't case still be a separate authorization?
      A. This was thrown around a fair bit, and in the end concluded that the
      difference between case and dagger just isn't really wide enough to
      warrant a separate authorization. We've come a long way in training and
      technique, and I have faith that people are good enough to ask their
      friends and friendly neighbourhood marshal "hey, d'you think I'm safe
      with this?"

      Q. I am already authorized in case/dagger/rigid/non-rigid. How does
      this work?
      A. If you are currently authorized in Rigid Parry or Non-Rigid Parry,
      you are now automatically authorized in Parry Device. If you are
      currently authorized in Dagger or Case, you are now automatically
      authorized in Two Weapon. Again, it is incumbent on the combatant to
      become familiar with other devices covered by the authorization category
      before using them outside of practice.

      Q. Will there be new authorization cards?
      A. Yes. There's nothing wrong with your old one, though.

      Q. Out of Kingdom Epee? Really?
      A. It doesn't hurt to leave it there. Maybe people even use it at wars!

      Q. OK, what marshal can authorize what now?
      A. As always, a marshal must be authorized in a form to authorize others
      in that form. This broadens the field somewhat, but that's fine. You
      don't have to be an expert in the particular device/weapon being used in
      the authorization. If you love cloak and use nothing but cloak, you
      still know well enough that a combatant should not be hitting their
      opponent with their off-hand baton =) Note that this includes C&T. We
      have done away with the "Cut & Thrust marshal list". If you are a
      marshal that is authorized in C&T, then you can authorize others in C&T.

      Q. How does this change the MiT process?
      A. That's yet to be finalized, but probably not that much.