Re: Many new interested fencers in brantford.

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 3, 2012
      Greetings,

      It is unfortunate that the date and time you set for this introduction was against a Kingdom Event.

      However, that's not to say that another date can be set, which I will leave you to do.

      An alternative is to attend an existing Practice with in the GTA, several exist including:

      Monday evenings: During the Summer Months June-August at Southwood Public School(MAP) Meet at the house at 37 Burrells Road, Ajax, 7pm to dark.

      Wednesday evenings: 7pm at Stephenson Park near Main and Danforth, Toronto.

      Thursday evenings: Thursdays, 6:30pm to 10:30pm, The Warehouse, 28 Esna Park Drive, Unionville, ON

      No half measures
      Jocelyn Cranewall

      --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, "axelofealdormere" <crossmanbrad.axel@...> wrote:

      > Greetings,
      >
      > I've grown more interested in fencing and have shown some videos to freinds in brantford who would also like to try SCA rapier. We are from Bendunfirth but in the brantford area which currently has no meetings/practices. I'd like to humbly ask if some sunday coming up there could be a practice in brantford from 11am-2pm at Mohawk Park. This is to get people like me who are interested to see what they';re getting into and to encourage my freinds from a LARP I do to expand their interests from fantasy to the historical.
      >
      > I'm requesting several experienced fencers and marshals who would not mind teaching a bunch of us newbies the ropes (safety, basic technique, etc) and to frankly come out and have a good time. Extra gear would also be appreciated at this time.
      >
      > Thoughts?

    • axelofealdormere
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6, 2012
        thank you for your suggestions. As for myself, I used to go to Hamilton practice for heavy and started as of this week for fencing (sadly there were few there but good times were still had). I've got a ride there but most of those interested would have no ride to T.O. or Hamilton or any other place. I'm merely trying to establish an interest in brantford to start a sunday good here....hoping to involve laurier brantford in some way too as Im a student there.

        I will be setting a new date ASAP and would like to make it an outdoor fencing practice. I invite anyone wanting to play and or teach (and if anyone can bring extra equipment thatd be awesome)....I'm thiunking Mohawk Park (lower parking lot by sprinklers) on a sunday (date to be established but soon) 11-430.

        > Greetings,
        >
        > It is unfortunate that the date and time you set for this introduction was against a Kingdom Event.
        >
        > However, that's not to say that another date can be set, which I will leave you to do.
        >
        > An alternative is to attend an existing Practice with in the GTA, several exist including:
        >
        > Monday evenings: During the Summer Months June-August at Southwood Public School(MAP) Meet at the house at 37 Burrells Road, Ajax, 7pm to dark.
        >
        > Wednesday evenings: 7pm at Stephenson Park near Main and Danforth, Toronto.
        >
        > Thursday evenings: Thursdays, 6:30pm to 10:30pm, The Warehouse, 28 Esna Park Drive, Unionville, ON
        >
        > No half measures
        > Jocelyn Cranewall
        >
        > --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, "axelofealdormere" <crossmanbrad.axel@> wrote:
        > >
        > > Greetings,
        > >
        > > I've grown more interested in fencing and have shown some videos to freinds in brantford who would also like to try SCA rapier. We are from Bendunfirth but in the brantford area which currently has no meetings/practices. I'd like to humbly ask if some sunday coming up there could be a practice in brantford from 11am-2pm at Mohawk Park. This is to get people like me who are interested to see what they';re getting into and to encourage my freinds from a LARP I do to expand their interests from fantasy to the historical.
        > >
        > > I'm requesting several experienced fencers and marshals who would not mind teaching a bunch of us newbies the ropes (safety, basic technique, etc) and to frankly come out and have a good time. Extra gear would also be appreciated at this time.
        > >
        > > Thoughts?

      • Aaron Miedema
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6, 2012
          If I may be so bold as to make a suggestion... =)

          You may find more success if you establish a regular practice time, and do
          it every week... admittedly this may involve some long hours of not having
          people from points beyond showing up. But, if the reminder is constantly
          poping up on the list it will evenually sink in, and then you may find some
          interesting random appearances. So.... What Rapier Practices you have to
          worry about in the area...

          Monday: Ajax and Hamilton
          Tueday: Guelph
          Wednesday: Eoforwic (Summer only currently)
          Thursday: Markham and Kitchener
          Friday: nothing, but this is the time people are usually getting ready for
          events.
          Saturday: nothing, but these are event days and so a little shifty for
          attendance.
          Sunday: Peterborough

          Thursday or Sunday easily works...

          For those times that people can't show up.... one of the ideas might be
          for Mohammed to come to the mountain, so to speak. If you can get to
          Toronto, you might want to learn stuff you can import back to students in
          Brantford. If you can make Ajax, Eoforwic, or Markham I can give you the
          pointers on a starting ciriculum and a period text or two to start focusing
          on. Even if you can't make these specific practices, I have a fairly open
          schedule and could gleefully do some private tutoring. That still doesn't
          help the loaner gear issue, but, for the first little bit of my ciriculum
          you don't need anything but a sword.

          On an equipment note, there might be some old gorgets (3 or 4 in need on
          some modification/love) that we can come to some arrangement on.

          --
          Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
          Historian

          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6, 2012
            Keep posting and let us know! I'm totally supportive of rapier practices and will do what I can to support.

            hope to meet your guys soon!
            Jocelyn

            Message 5 of 7 , Aug 16, 2012
              SO how are you folks in Brantford doing? Enquireing minds want to know!