Rapier @ Trillies

  • Aaron Miedema
    Message 1 of 8 , May 22, 2012
      Hi all... Just to clarify for those who did not follow the long winding
      discussion about what was considered an acceptable "Viking" sword. And
      some ideas for acceptable non-rigid parry devices.

      SWORDS
      Guard: Quillions only. No length limit (as of yet, no source has been
      found)
      Hilt: Maximum length 7" (from shoulder of blade to end of the pommel) You
      can thank one of Albrecht's off the cuff remarks about my longswords for
      this limitation. =)
      Blade: Maximum lenght 36" (from shoulder of the blade to the end of the
      blunt, some small allowance will be made for the length the blunt add to
      the blade).

      NON-RIGID PARRY DEVICES
      Round Sheild: Typically 24" in diameter. Although between 30" and 18"
      will be considered acceptable. These sheild will have a dished boss and a
      single straight handle in or over the center of the boss.
      Buckler: A simple dished boss--no more than 10" in total diameter--with a
      single straight handle in the center of the boss will be considered
      acceptable.
      Viking Axe and Seax (Knife): Also according to the current rules, there is
      no longer a prohibition on rigid parrying devices have the appearance of
      weapons.

      So there are more than a few options for being an appropriately armed
      Viking. =)
      Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
      Historian
      http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bayonets-and-blobsticks-aaron-taylor-miedema/1107474626
      or
      as an ebook
      http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/item/9780988019218/Miedema-Aaron-Taylor-Bayonets-and-Blobsticks-The-Canadian-Experience-of-Close-Combat-1915-1918/1.html

    • Aaron Miedema
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 20, 2013
        Hi all.... The schedule has been formalized and put up on the website.

        http://septentria.ca/trillium_war_2013/index.shtml

        The event schedule gives the proper time and place of the individual
        events, The Rapier specific schedule includes descriptions of the
        Tournaments, Classes, and Roundtables.

        Please direct any comments and questions to me.

        Hope to see you all there. =)

        --
        Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
        Historian

      • Neil McCallum
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 20, 2013
          Hello Archibald,

          I'm looking to do my first authorization on Sat morning (arriving Fri
          Night). Aside from the paperwork are there any particular arrangements I
          need to make?

          -Aleksandr

          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 21, 2013
            You are responsible for finding marshalls to authorize you. You might
            wander from camp to camp, or likely there will be marshalls at the lists in
            the mornings. But, it shouldn't be too hard, and it gives you an excuse to
            get out and meet new people.

            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 23, 2013
              Thanks,
              Think I've got it sorted with back-ups in mind.

              See you there!
              Aleksandr

              On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 1:06 PM, Aaron Miedema <govianus@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > You are responsible for finding marshalls to authorize you. You might
              > wander from camp to camp, or likely there will be marshalls at the lists in
              > the mornings. But, it shouldn't be too hard, and it gives you an excuse to
              > get out and meet new people.
              >
              > On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 10:12 PM, Neil McCallum
              > <neil.a.mccallum@...>wrote:
              >

              > > Hello Archibald,
              > >
              > > I'm looking to do my first authorization on Sat morning (arriving Fri
              > > Night). Aside from the paperwork are there any particular arrangements I
              > > need to make?
              > >
              > > -Aleksandr
              > >

              > > On Thu, Jun 20, 2013 at 12:55 PM, Aaron Miedema <govianus@...>
              > > wrote:
              > >
              > > > **
              >

              > > > Hi all.... The schedule has been formalized and put up on the website.
              > > >
              > > > http://septentria.ca/trillium_war_2013/index.shtml
              > > >
              > > > The event schedule gives the proper time and place of the individual
              > > > events, The Rapier specific schedule includes descriptions of the
              > > > Tournaments, Classes, and Roundtables.
              > > >
              > > > Please direct any comments and questions to me.
              > > >
              > > > Hope to see you all there. =)
              > > >
              > > > --
              > > > Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
              > > > Historian
              > > > Historical Advisor for the Motion Picture *21 Brothers*
              > > > http://www.21brothers.com/* Guiness Book of World Records* Holder for
              > > > "Longest film shot in a single take."
              > > > Author of *Bayonets and Blobsticks, The Canadian Experience of Close
              > > Combat
              > > > 1915-1918*, available from Legacy Books Press.
              > > > http://www.legacybookspress.com/books.html#Bayonet
              > > > **

              > --
              > Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
              > Historian
              > Historical Advisor for the Motion Picture *21 Brothers*
              > http://www.21brothers.com/* Guiness Book of World Records* Holder for
              > "Longest film shot in a single take."

            • David Gotlieb
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
                Just curious giving the current forcast for a fair amount of wetness over the course of Trillies, is there indoor or covered space for rapier in case of rain?

                Lord Dafydd ap Alan (MKA David Gotlieb)Canton of Harrowgate Heath

                Visit my Blog - Leather Goods for the Discerning Kraken

                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 24, 2013
                    @Dafydd.

                    No, there is no rain space.... but the forecasters also have been
                    incredibly twitchy, it was supposedly supposed to be raining here for the
                    last 48 hours and nothing. The veteran forecasters have gone on holiday
                    and left the newbies to panic.