Re: [E_Rapier] Viking swords: was War of the Trilliums

  • EVE HARRIS
    Message 1 of 26 , May 18, 2012
      I have half a dozen books on Viking stuff, and they all talk about hilts and decorations, but there seems to be a scarcity of information on blade lengths. 31-33 inches seems to be the average, at least for earlier period blades.

      Albrecht

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 26 , May 18, 2012
        Damn, my sword missed by an inch. Oh well.

        Albrecht

        Message 3 of 26 , May 18, 2012
          Well, the theme was Viking.... no specification as to date.... so early
          or late... I am not going to be THAT particular... The longest Viking
          sword according to Petersen is 35.7" which I'm willing to round up to 36".
          Now if people want to start examining the width of quillions, that would be
          helpful too.

          On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM, EVE HARRIS <evedave1@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I have half a dozen books on Viking stuff, and they all talk about hilts
          > and decorations, but there seems to be a scarcity of information on blade
          > lengths. 31-33 inches seems to be the average, at least for earlier period
          > blades.
          >
          > Albrecht

          Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
          Historian