Re: [E_Rapier] War of the Trilliums

  • David Gotlieb
    Message 1 of 26 , May 17, 2012
      Guess its time to pull out the book on viking arms, armour and combat techniques I bought for Avelyn for Christmas. Knew it would be handy, didn't think it would be handy for rapier. :)

      Lord Dafydd ap Alan (MKA David Gotlieb)
      Canton of Harrowgate Heath

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 26 , May 18, 2012
        I've been doing some checking. The longest extant blade I've been able to
        find so far is 88 cm (roughly 34 1/2 inches), but my search continues.

        Albrecht

        Message 3 of 26 , May 18, 2012
          I see 34 1/2 inches... Can anyone do better on a norse blade length.
          What is the source of this information Albrecht?

          Message 4 of 26 , May 18, 2012
            I've seen an online reference to 100 cm but still working to confirm with proper documentation. Unfortunately it was just an image of a series of swords with no proper scale.

            Message 5 of 26 , May 18, 2012
              Well if you share URLs and such like, other people might have differing
              prespectives to add to solving the question. No point in doing this all in
              a vaccuum. One of the critical aspects of reseach is to share
              your findings, that way other people can build on it. =)

              Message 6 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                Here's the URL. The ref to sword lengths is about 1/4 of the way down the page. Wouldn't even ciount this as a tertiary source given they don't document any of the statements. But its a start.

                http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_sword.htm

                Lord Dafydd ap Alan (MKA David Gotlieb)
                Canton of Harrowgate Heath

                ________________________________
                Well if you share URLs and such like, other people might have differing
                prespectives to add to solving the question.  No point in doing this all in
                a vaccuum.  One of the critical aspects of reseach is to share
                your findings, that way other people can build on it.  =)

                On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:43 AM, David Gotlieb <dafydd@...> wrote:

                > **
                >

                > I've seen an online reference to 100 cm but still working to confirm with
                > proper documentation. Unfortunately it was just an image of a series of
                > swords with no proper scale.
                >

                > Lord Dafydd ap Alan (MKA David Gotlieb)
                > Canton of Harrowgate Heath

              • Aaron Miedema
                Message 7 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                  If I were to hazard aq guess, I'd say it is likely the Petersen 1919
                  source.... Found the original on line.... anyone no anyone with capacity
                  with Norwegian?

                  http://www.scribd.com/doc/43736258/Petersen-Jan-1919-De-Norske-Vikingesverd-En-Typologisk-Kronologisk-Studie-Over-Vikingetidens-Vaaben

                  And there seems to be some English reference here.

                  On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:53 AM, David Gotlieb <dafydd@...> wrote:

                  > **
                  >

                  > Here's the URL. The ref to sword lengths is about 1/4 of the way down the
                  > page. Wouldn't even ciount this as a tertiary source given they don't
                  > document any of the statements. But its a start.
                  >

                  > http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_sword.htm
                  >

                  > Lord Dafydd ap Alan (MKA David Gotlieb)
                  > Canton of Harrowgate Heath
                  >
                  > ________________________________

                  Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
                  Historian

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                    http://www.vikingsword.com/petersen/index.html
                    Oops

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                      Here's details of a viking era sword found in a private collection that measures 103 cm total. Blade is 88 cm, so may be the one Albrecht is referring to.
                      http://www.vikingsword.com/vmuseum/vmh1.html

                      Finding lots of references to the fact that swords became longer and heavier as we get later into the viking period, so I think it depends on what age you are looking at.

                      Didn't have a chance to root through my books at home last night, went to practice instead. :) Maybe over the weekend.

                      Lord Dafydd ap Alan (MKA David Gotlieb)
                      Canton of Harrowgate Heath

                    • EVE HARRIS
                      Message 10 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                        That is the one. I was just looking it up again when I saw your post.

                        Albrecht

                        ________________________________

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                          OK. Did some more digging... Petersen states: "Recently *Universitetets
                          Oldtidssamling* [University Museum of Antiquities in Oslo] has received the
                          longest blade from the Viking Age at 90.7 cm..." The 100cm picture would
                          likely be a sword that was shorter than that, as 10cm would be a little too
                          short for a guard, grip, and pommel. Of course that is from 1919 so it
                          possible there has been a different find, but until that is found, I'll go
                          with Petersen as the authority. That makes 35.7" the longest lenghth,
                          rounded up to 36".

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                            I have half a dozen books on Viking stuff, and they all talk about hilts and decorations, but there seems to be a scarcity of information on blade lengths. 31-33 inches seems to be the average, at least for earlier period blades.

                            Albrecht

                            ________________________________

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                              Damn, my sword missed by an inch. Oh well.

                              Albrecht

                              Message 14 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                Well, the theme was Viking.... no specification as to date.... so early
                                or late... I am not going to be THAT particular... The longest Viking
                                sword according to Petersen is 35.7" which I'm willing to round up to 36".
                                Now if people want to start examining the width of quillions, that would be
                                helpful too.

                                On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 11:22 AM, EVE HARRIS <evedave1@...> wrote:

                                > **
                                >

                                > I have half a dozen books on Viking stuff, and they all talk about hilts
                                > and decorations, but there seems to be a scarcity of information on blade
                                > lengths. 31-33 inches seems to be the average, at least for earlier period
                                > blades.
                                >
                                > Albrecht

                                Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
                                Historian