Cut & Thrust at Trilliums

    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007

      With the gracious permission of Lady Rusalka I am planning to run a
      practical Cut & Thrust class at War of the Trilliums this year. By
      practical I mean that the class will run like a practice, with people who
      are not yet authorized in C&T being able to try C&T techniques. The class
      will most likely take place on Sunday after the day's scheduled tournaments,
      and I will post any changes in the time to the list if necessary.

      Those wishing to participate must meet certain requirements if they wish to
      be part of the hands on portion of the class. First, they must have a blade
      approved for use in C&T. The following blades are approved for C&T use:

      Alchem Broadsword Safeflex 34" - 40"
      Angus Trim Rapier DDPR01 or ATPR0
      Angus Trim Practice Sidesword - ddPR02 (C&T only)
      Darkwood Bated Rapier 37" - 45"
      Darkwood Practice Rapier 37" - 45"
      Darkwood Flexible Sidesword (C&T only)
      Darkwood Backsword (C&T only)
      Deltin Bated Rapier
      Deltin Practice Rapier
      Deltin Flexible Sidesword (C&T only)
      Deltin Flexible Backsword (C&T only)
      Hanewi Practical Rapier 37" - 43"
      Hanewi Heavy Renn Rapier (C&T only)
      MK Armory MKA30 - MKA45 30" - 45"
      Popinjays Longsword
      Popinjays Curved blade
      Scotty Rapier
      Scotty Renblade (C&T only)
      Zamarano Rapier Blade 35" - 40"
      Zen Armory (Triplette) TCA Rapier T03, T03X

      Also, anyone participating must have armour that conforms to C&T standards
      which means in addition to their regular heavy rapier armour they must have
      at minimum rigid protection for the back of the head and elbow pads.
      Addition protection is allowed as long as a blow can be called through it. I
      would recommend wrist and knee protection. Also, having a buckler would be
      very good idea.

      The class will focus on the basics of C&T, especially safety issues like
      blow calling. In terms of technique, I will mostly be working from the
      Bolognese tradition which includes Marozzo, Manciolino, and Dall'Agocchie.
      If you want a bit of a head start you may wish to check out this site:
      http://www.marozzo.org/

      Any other C&T Marshals, participants, or people with knowledge of C&T
      techniques are welcome to attend and add their expertise to the class. Any
      help would be appreciated.

      If anyone has any questions or comments please let me know and I will
      respond as best I can. I am hoping to run a similar class at Fruits of our
      Labours at the end of August, but that is still up in the air.

      Yours in Service

      Albrecht
      Deputy KRM for C&T
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
        > Alchem Broadsword Safeflex 34" - 40"

        Are these the ones that are made like the daggers?
        Arn't the daggers not approved for C&T?

        --j
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
          Yea Albrecht!!! You rock!

          Thank you for your time and efforts in this.

          Cainder

          @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
          MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
          Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
          @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
          hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
            I’d have to check the Alchem site to see what they look like. I got the list
            from the society blade type document:

            http://www.sca.org/officers/marshal/combat/rapier/bladetypes.pdf

          • argh@cogeco.ca
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
              The reading that I have done on cut and thrust prohibits the safeflex dagger for use. As I recall motivated by the
              spell of breakages a while back.

              Aaron Miedema
              Lente autem non celer sum.
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 6, 2007
                The current list of approved blades says that the Safeflex 15/6 dagger blade
                is L/H/C which means Light Rapier, Heavy Rapier and Cut & Thrust. I
                personally would not recommend using one in C&T but it appears to be legal.