Re: [E_Rapier] War of the Trilliums

  • Aaron Miedema
    Message 1 of 26 , May 17, 2012
      A valid concern David, having been one of those impovrished members for
      years, I am sensitive to the issue of economic marginalization.

      The intent of the weapon rule is to penalize those who attempt to maximize
      their weapon style to win rather than to fit the theme.

      As to the acquisition of additional weapons. The Hanwei Practical Viking
      can be acquired for under $100 if you know how to shop around, in fact I've
      already catalogued websites--I will share with anyone interested. (PLEASE
      POST ME BEFORE BUYING, I can give some helpful advice). Borrowing is also
      acceptable.... I know I have one that I won't be using. As to round
      viking-like bucklers, I have playwood I need to use for making boats, but,
      if there are left overs I will contemplate getting some mixing bowls and
      making extra sheilds for people to use.

      Although its that easy, two foot round piece of plywood, a piece of wood
      for a handle and a metal mixing bowl is all you need for a viking sheild,
      have that and your regular rapier, and there is no point deduction.

      Its not so economically in feasible as it at first may seem, you just have
      to think a little outside the box.

      As to what you are wearing, put something Viking on your armour and you get
      a point... it could even be mounting some silly horns on your mask. Just
      make a slight effort and its a point. If you don't bother, well then you
      will lose a point.
      Does that sound fair?
      <http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/item/9780988019218/Miedema-Aaron-Taylor-Bayonets-and-Blobsticks-The-Canadian-Experience-of-Close-Combat-1915-1918/1.html>

    • EVE HARRIS
      Message 2 of 26 , May 17, 2012

        I would concur with Dafydd. These events sound like a tonne of fun and it's pretty easy for me to do Norse stuff (my Lady is a very good Norse woman and makes spiffy Norse garb), but not everyone can. I think the tricky bit is the weapons. The Practical Viking sword runs around $100, and I'm not sure where it would fall in the flex test, but I suspect it might be C&T only. If this is otherwise, please let me know.  If we used a regular blade on a simple hilt, would that be appropriate? I guess sticking horns on my burgonet wouldn't help (for multiple reasons)? :)

        I have a fair amount of material on Norse arms and armour. If anyone has any questions about what works for norse and what doesn't, please feel free to get in touch with me.

        Albrecht

        ________________________________
        Message 3 of 26 , May 17, 2012
          Actually Albrecht, sticking horns on your burgonet would be sufficient to
          get the point. I did observe that mask, gorget, and gloves were not
          subjected to negative judgement.

          As to the swords, I'm not opposed to setting conditions of 31" blade or
          less, simple straight quillions. as the Requirement for a Viking type
          sword. As to the Viking Practicals, they are boarderline. If you decide
          to buy something... I'm pretty sure that Relicks and Kult of Athena both
          will test to SCA standards and send you one that meets it... But you do
          have to ask them to do that. No matter who you buy from make sure they
          test it. And make sure you test it to Heavy Rapier Standards and not Cut
          and Thrust. It would be very unhappy to get one you can't use. =(

          On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 12:36 PM, EVE HARRIS <evedave1@...> wrote:

          > **
          >

          > Greetings!
          >
          > I would concur with Dafydd. These events sound like a tonne of fun and
          > it's pretty easy for me to do Norse stuff (my Lady is a very good Norse
          > woman and makes spiffy Norse garb), but not everyone can. I think the
          > tricky bit is the weapons. The Practical Viking sword runs around $100, and
          > I'm not sure where it would fall in the flex test, but I suspect it might
          > be C&T only. If this is otherwise, please let me know. If we used a
          > regular blade on a simple hilt, would that be appropriate? I guess sticking
          > horns on my burgonet wouldn't help (for multiple reasons)? :)
          >
          > I have a fair amount of material on Norse arms and armour. If anyone has
          > any questions about what works for norse and what doesn't, please feel free
          > to get in touch with me.
          >
          > Albrecht
          >

          > ________________________________

          Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
          Historian
          http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/bayonets-and-blobsticks-aaron-taylor-miedema/1107474626
          or
          as an ebook

          Message 4 of 26 , May 17, 2012
            If we could provide documentation of Norse swords longer than 31", would that be ok?

            Albrecht

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 26 , May 17, 2012
              And what documentation do you have?

              On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 1:17 PM, EVE HARRIS <evedave1@...> wrote:

              > **
              >

              > If we could provide documentation of Norse swords longer than 31", would
              > that be ok?
              >
              > Albrecht
              >

              > ________________________________

            • David Gotlieb
              Message 6 of 26 , May 17, 2012
                Guess its time to pull out the book on viking arms, armour and combat techniques I bought for Avelyn for Christmas. Knew it would be handy, didn't think it would be handy for rapier. :)

                Message 7 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                  I've been doing some checking. The longest extant blade I've been able to
                  find so far is 88 cm (roughly 34 1/2 inches), but my search continues.

                  Albrecht

                  > If we could provide documentation of Norse swords longer than 31", would
                  > that be ok?
                  >
                  > Albrecht
                  >

                  > ________________________________

                  Combat

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                    I see 34 1/2 inches... Can anyone do better on a norse blade length.
                    What is the source of this information Albrecht?

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                      I've seen an online reference to 100 cm but still working to confirm with proper documentation. Unfortunately it was just an image of a series of swords with no proper scale.

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                        Well if you share URLs and such like, other people might have differing
                        prespectives to add to solving the question. No point in doing this all in
                        a vaccuum. One of the critical aspects of reseach is to share
                        your findings, that way other people can build on it. =)

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                          Here's the URL. The ref to sword lengths is about 1/4 of the way down the page. Wouldn't even ciount this as a tertiary source given they don't document any of the statements. But its a start.

                          http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_sword.htm

                          Lord Dafydd ap Alan (MKA David Gotlieb)
                          Canton of Harrowgate Heath

                          ________________________________
                          Well if you share URLs and such like, other people might have differing
                          prespectives to add to solving the question.  No point in doing this all in
                          a vaccuum.  One of the critical aspects of reseach is to share
                          your findings, that way other people can build on it.  =)

                          On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:43 AM, David Gotlieb <dafydd@...> wrote:

                          > **
                          >

                          > I've seen an online reference to 100 cm but still working to confirm with
                          > proper documentation. Unfortunately it was just an image of a series of
                          > swords with no proper scale.
                          >

                          > Lord Dafydd ap Alan (MKA David Gotlieb)
                          > Canton of Harrowgate Heath

                        • Aaron Miedema
                          Message 12 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                            If I were to hazard aq guess, I'd say it is likely the Petersen 1919
                            source.... Found the original on line.... anyone no anyone with capacity
                            with Norwegian?

                            http://www.scribd.com/doc/43736258/Petersen-Jan-1919-De-Norske-Vikingesverd-En-Typologisk-Kronologisk-Studie-Over-Vikingetidens-Vaaben

                            And there seems to be some English reference here.

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                              http://www.vikingsword.com/petersen/index.html
                              Oops

                              Message 14 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                Here's details of a viking era sword found in a private collection that measures 103 cm total. Blade is 88 cm, so may be the one Albrecht is referring to.
                                http://www.vikingsword.com/vmuseum/vmh1.html

                                Finding lots of references to the fact that swords became longer and heavier as we get later into the viking period, so I think it depends on what age you are looking at.

                                Didn't have a chance to root through my books at home last night, went to practice instead. :) Maybe over the weekend.

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                  That is the one. I was just looking it up again when I saw your post.

                                  Albrecht

                                  ________________________________

                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                    OK. Did some more digging... Petersen states: "Recently *Universitetets
                                    Oldtidssamling* [University Museum of Antiquities in Oslo] has received the
                                    longest blade from the Viking Age at 90.7 cm..." The 100cm picture would
                                    likely be a sword that was shorter than that, as 10cm would be a little too
                                    short for a guard, grip, and pommel. Of course that is from 1919 so it
                                    possible there has been a different find, but until that is found, I'll go
                                    with Petersen as the authority. That makes 35.7" the longest lenghth,
                                    rounded up to 36".

                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                      I have half a dozen books on Viking stuff, and they all talk about hilts and decorations, but there seems to be a scarcity of information on blade lengths. 31-33 inches seems to be the average, at least for earlier period blades.

                                      Albrecht

                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                        Damn, my sword missed by an inch. Oh well.

                                        Albrecht

                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                          Well, the theme was Viking.... no specification as to date.... so early
                                          or late... I am not going to be THAT particular... The longest Viking
                                          sword according to Petersen is 35.7" which I'm willing to round up to 36".
                                          Now if people want to start examining the width of quillions, that would be
                                          helpful too.