July Tidings Letter -- Long in word but does address this thread: RE: [RapierMarshals] Darkwood Tips?

    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
      Greetings Everyone,

      Please find below my letter for the July Tidings. I
      was hesitating on sending it to the E-List based on
      concerns whether it would be split over the July and
      August Tidings. Given recent discussions on the
      Rapier Marshal's List I realize it was silly to
      hesitate so here is the whole thing. Please read it
      as it covers two important issues, especially if you
      are planning to attend Pennsic. The information below
      is for ALL Rapier Combatants in Ealdormere and is
      effective as of this date.

      ****************************

      Greetings unto the Populace of Ealdoremere,

      War is upon us!

      Pennsic is night upon us, and I have a few reminders
      and announcements for those planning to attend before
      I proceed into the main discourse for this latest
      missive:

      1) Most Rapier Combatants' Authorization Card Expiry
      Dates are now coming due. To renew your card, simply
      download and complete the renewal form from the
      E-rapier Yahoo Group. Mail your completed form AND
      Authorization Card AND a self addressed stamped
      envelope to:
      Kathleen Gormanshaw
      (Baroness Eyrny Ormarrsdottir)
      49 Watercress Court
      Kitchener, ON
      N2E 3S7

      2) By time of this newsletter I will have posted, or
      will soon be posting, the name of their Majesties
      selected Commander of Ealdormere's Rapier Army. All
      those going to war this summer should contact the
      Commander prior to the Event.

      3) Darkwood Armouries has a new blunt design, which
      they are marketing. NOTE: This new blunt design is
      NOT legal in Ealdormere under our rules.

      The blunt was specifically designed for the SCA, and
      therefore has a smaller cavity for blades to enter.
      This eliminates the possibility of inserting a washer
      other rigid metal object between the blade and blunt.
      Ealdormere's rules state: "Tips will have a blunt
      striking surface, presenting a cross-section of at
      least 3/8 inch (9mm) diameter, and must contain a
      rigid metal barrier between the blade and the tip to
      prevent wear-through."

      Additionally, there have been multiple reports of
      wear-through Society-wide resulting in the blunts
      being banned in Altantia and Glenn Abhann. While I am
      not specifically banning the blunts, I am not yielding
      on our current rules either. Only one blunt is
      currently in use in Ealdormere by Baroness Eyrny at
      this time under experiment. This experiment will be
      re-evaluated following Pennsic.

      While the above has been quite lengthly, I would like
      to discuss the MiT and CiT process and the
      expectations and criteria that should be followed
      throughout. With an healthly number of new MiT's in
      our midst a refresher for everyone will be beneficial,
      myself included.

      To become a Marshal or Constable the process is as
      follows:
      1) Discuss your intention with your Group Rapier
      Marshal or Group Rapier Constable. They are the best
      resource throughout your Marshal/Constable in Training
      process, and can offer good candid advice to you.
      2) The next step has been, for lack of better words,
      marginalized of late. The step to which I refer is
      finding a Marshal or Constable to mentor you through
      the process. This person can be your Group Marshal or
      Group Constable, but does not have to be so. Anyone
      that you feel can answer your questions, and guide you
      through the process. During your training you will be
      exposed to various different Marshals, each with their
      unique way of accomplishing their duties. Having
      someone to discuss these differences and interpret the
      knowledge you gain as you complete your training is
      not only helpful, but remains a mandatory component to
      the training.
      3) Once you have found your supervising Marshal or
      Constable, both you and your supervising
      Marshal/Constable discuss your intention with me. If
      I believe you are ready, and you will be properly
      guided through the process, I will provide you with
      the MiT/CiT Form that appoints you that designation.
      4) After being appointed an MiT or CiT, the real work
      begins. You must assist the Marshal in Charge of the
      Rapier Activities at an Event four times, in all
      aspects of those activities including: Inspections,
      Authorizations (if an MiT), and List Marshalling. If
      the Marshal feels you have adequately conducted
      yourself in all the activities they will sign and date
      your form, noting the Event at which you assisted.
      The criteria that should be used in determining
      whether you have succeeded that day I will discuss
      later in this letter.
      5) When you have received all four Event Signatures,
      you now need signatures from two Marshals or
      Constables that believe you are ready to become a
      Marshal. At least one of these signing
      Marshals/Constables must be from outside your local
      Shire or Canton.
      6) If you reside in a Barony with a Baronial Marshal,
      that is the next recommending signature you must
      secure. if you reside in a Shire, you must secure a
      recommendation from one of the Baronial Marshals of
      Ealdormere or another Shire's Group Marshal.
      7) Lastly, you come to me, the Kingdom Rapier
      Marshal, and discuss the training you have
      experienced. If I agree with the others whom have
      signed your form, I retain your form and sign your
      Authorization Card recommending you to be a Marshal or
      Constable until their Majesties confirm and warrant
      your appointment. At this point you are a Marshal or
      Constable like everyone else.

      Now as I mentioned above, the key question being asked
      by many: what are the criteria for the Event
      Signatures? Here is the criteria I was held to when I
      first became a Marshal, and it is the interpretation I
      expect to see used throughout the Kingdom.

      Event 1: At this point you are very new to the
      process, and are just expected to learn from the MiC
      as much as you can. The MiC is required to lead you
      through all the activies, talking and teaching as
      she/he goes. The MiT should ask questions often, even
      just for confirmation.

      Event 2: For this Event, the MiT or CiT should still
      be with the MiC for all the Rapier Activities. Again,
      there should be constant discussion between MiC and
      MiT/CiT though it should be more active than just MiC
      gives and MiT/CiT assimilates.

      Event 3: At this point the MiT or CiT should be given
      some opportunity to lead an Inspection or marshal a
      list under the direct and attentive supervision of the
      MiC. In Authorizations, the MiT should be the first
      one to give opinions during discussion, though does
      not have to be right on every point discussed. The
      opinion just has to be reasonable and well thought
      out.

      Event 4: As this is the last Event Signature, the MiT
      or CiT should lead the activities under the
      observation of the MiC. Corrections or observations
      are still expected as this is still a learning
      process; however, if the corrections or observations
      are coming fast and regular this is a sign that more
      learning is needed.

      These are the criteria which have been used for years
      for Event Signatures in the MiT and CiT process. An
      MiC should consider them carefully before signing and
      provide the MiT/CiT with some constructive guidance
      whether the MiC signs the form or not. If you are an
      MiT/CiT that doesn't see these criteria being used in
      your training, don't accept a signature and talk with
      your Supervising Marhal. This may seem like
      penalizing yourself by spending the day without
      getting a signature, but in actual fact you're helping
      yourself in the long run. Especially when you find
      yourself MiC of an Event, or running a practice for
      the first time.

      In Service,

      Senor Mateo de Merida

      Kingdom Rapier Marshal for Ealdoremere
      Scholar of the Ealdoremere Academy of Defence

      http://mail.yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
        At 12:33 PM 6/6/2007, you wrote:
        >Pennsic is night upon us, and I have a few reminders
        >and announcements for those planning to attend before
        >I proceed into the main discourse for this latest
        >missive:
        >
        >1) Most Rapier Combatants' Authorization Card Expiry
        >Dates are now coming due. To renew your card, simply

        And many tournaments at Pennsic WILL check for the expiry date on your card!

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
          Um...you forgot about the Marshal's class, dear.

          And I agree with Rusalka...I believe it's unreasonable to ask an MiC to
          exclusively devote themselves to teaching with everything else they're
          taking on in running the lists at an event.

          I would think that allowing a mentor (or even a "mentor for the day") to
          check in with the MiC at the start of an event and then staying with the
          MiT/CiT throughout the process for the day would be an acceptable
          compromise.

          I think it's important to realize that not all Marshals are good at or even
          want to spend time teaching so perhaps if someone is looking to offer
          assistance with mentoring trainees at an event they could check in with the
          MiC at the start and offer to take on any reasonable number of MiT's that
          check in. It might also be a good idea if the MiC, Mentor and any trainees
          take 5 minutes to decompress and discuss the day at the end of the
          event/closing of the lists. In this way, the 2 more experienced marshals can
          give valuable feedback to the trainees that can be crucial to their
          development as marshals. Too often, teaching focuses on simply absorbing and
          reproducing. I think a movement to more discussion and feedback would be
          helpful in increasing communication among the fencing community as well as
          the marshallate.

          Ok, that's enough of my opinion for today...time for me to think of
          something else.

          Cainder

          @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
          MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
          Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
          @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
          hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

        • David Fleuelling
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 6, 2007
            I would definately have to agree with Mateo and Cainder as when I was an MiT, I really never got any feedback on what I did and what I could have possibly done better.. A little session at the end of the event really wouldn't hurt anyone, but may even be beneficial for the mentors as well considering that they may remember something that should be done that they have not done themself for some time. And I definately agree with the steps Mateo spoke of because I was just kind of thrown into the list and wasn't really told what to do or what to watch for, except for during inspections. Very good points by the both of you love birds ;) Hope to see you at practice tomorrow! (if i can make it)

            In Service,
            Gabriel de Merida

            Cadet of the Ealdormere Academy of Defence

          • Greg Hounsell
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
              "I would think that allowing a mentor (or even a "mentor for the day") to
              check in with the MiC at the start of an event and then staying with the
              MiT/CiT throughout the process for the day would be an acceptable
              compromise."

              I like this idea. As well, getting back to something more formalized and
              structured overall as has been discussed would be wonderful. It would be
              very helpful to the MiT to know what is expected, whom to talk to before the
              event, expectations and consistency in training. And as has been mentioned,
              often the MiC is very busy (or not wanting to teach),and having other
              marshals there that can take on the 'apprentice' for the day is good. To
              help guide as was stated is the right attitude to get back to and not just
              drill on the rules and left to fend for themselves per se. In this process I
              think it is also important and behooves the MiT to arrange/ask before-hand
              that they will be in attendance at that event and if they just show up..
              there may not be someone to "mentor" them for the day. It works both ways.

              Might it not also be an idea that if there is an MiT in the list that they
              are denoted some way by say something like a coloured arm band? That way
              other marshals and combatants can clearly see and remember that this person
              is someone in training and give them some extra consideration in their
              judgements etc.

              my 2 cents

              Greg Hounsell

              _____

              MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@sympatico. <mailto:kgarlow%40sympatico.ca> ca
> [...]

              >learning is needed.
              >
              >These are the criteria which have been used for years
              >for Event Signatures in the MiT and CiT process. An
              >MiC should consider them carefully before signing and
              >provide the MiT/CiT with some constructive guidance
              >whether the MiC signs the form or not. If you are an
              >MiT/CiT that doesn't see these criteria being used in
              >your training, don't accept a signature and talk with
              >your Supervising Marhal. This may seem like
              >penalizing yourself by spending the day without
              >getting a signature, but in actual fact you're helping
              >yourself in the long run. Especially when you find
              >yourself MiC of an Event, or running a practice for
              >the first time.
              >
              >In Service,
              >
              >Senor Mateo de Merida
              >
              >Kingdom Rapier Marshal for Ealdoremere
              >Scholar of the Ealdoremere Academy of Defence

            • Anna B
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
                Greetings all,

                With War of the Trilliums a mere few weeks away, I wanted to give everyone a quick teaser of what they can expect on the rapier list. While the proper schedule is still a work in progress, here are just a few of the things that we have planned:

                TRM 'Pennsic Champions' Tourney
                The Second Annual Galbraith Cup
                Warlord Tourney
                Normans vs. Saxons Tourney
                Woods battles
                'Newbie' Tourney
                Cut and Slash class - taught by THL Albrecht
                The Trillium Dagger Tourney
                Rigid Parry Tourney
                'The Normans/Saxons are Invading!' (hay bales allowing)

                Keep also in mind that this year, due to the favourable holiday Monday, we will be fencing on both Saturday and Sunday, so bring your energy and enthusiam, and I am very much looking forward to seeing you all there.

                The Logistical Stuff: Authorizations (primary only) *may* be held, space/marshals allowing. Any marshals with fencers wishing to attempt primary authorizations at WoT will need to advise me of their plans a minimum of a week prior to the event. Please keep in mind that it will be the 'authorizing' marshal to arrange for two other authorizing marshals.

                Any marshals who would like to bring/assist an MiT/CiT please contact me in advance. Any MiTs/CiTs wishing to assist at the event, please contact me with the name of your 'supervising' marshal, or better yet, have your 'supervising' marshal contact me instead.

                I am still in need of experienced list masters/mistresses. If anyone is interested, or knows someone who would be interested in helping us out on both Saturday and Sunday, please have them get in touch with me, off list.

                The rapier list will be in the approximately same location as last year, and as with last year anyone who has sunshades, and is willing to share them with the rest of us (set them up, take them down, etc. etc.) will be extremely welcome.

                There will not be an 'official' lunch break on either day, so I would strongly encourage everyone to bring edibles with them. And while we will be supplying a limited amount of water, please remember that it will be hot, and you will lose water and become dehydrated, even if you are just standing around watching a list, so plan on bringing liquids for yourself.

                That's pretty much it! Hope to see you all at Gareth's Melee class at Spring Tune-Up this weekend!

                Rusalka
                RMiC, Trillium War III

              • Alexander McKay
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
                  Greetings to Lady Rusalka

                  Just wondering if you recieved my missive about contacting Quilliam?

                  Message 8 of 8 , Jun 7, 2007
                    Count me in as field marshall

                    Jocelyne