Re: [E_Rapier] Flexi-Daggers

  • EVE HARRIS
    Message 1 of 8 , May 16 1:41 PM
      Currently we have one person still using a flexidagger in Der Welfengau. I would encourage the eventual removal of this blade type in Ealdormere. As I noted in a previous post, there are a number of much better looking alternatives out there now. It was nice to have the flexidaggers back in the day as they filled an important need, but I think their time has passed and they are now a hinderance to possibly joining the reduced armour experiment.

      Alternatives:

      Zen Warrior:

      http://www.zenwarriorarmory.com/catalog.php?item=78&catid=40&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D40

      Darkwood:

      http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_12&products_id=72

      Alchem Inc.

      http://www.alcheminc.com/daggerblades.html

      Albrecht

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 8 , May 16 1:42 PM
        I can advise Mateo has one and occasionally uses it. I can't advise his feelings regarding his loss of being able to use it though.

        So the light armor experiment is only for non foil use?

        Cainder

        Kelly Wyatt
        SCA: Cainder inghen Hui Chatharnaig
        k.wyatt59@...

        To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com

        Message 3 of 8 , May 16 1:57 PM
          We have a fellow from Caid playing with us in Ardcreag, he has two
          flexidaggers. He has been on the fencing periphery for several years, and
          so these are pieces of kit holding on from times long gone by.

          I'm all for marching forward toward lighter armour standards and putting
          the last of the olympic fencing gear and armour requirements behind us.

          Of course, this is so I can worry more about padding armour for additional
          protection against the new blade types that have been introduced.

          --
          Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
          Historian

        • Dan Blair
          Message 4 of 8 , May 16 3:13 PM
            I still use flexi-daggers. Of course I've been out of the game for a while and only just getting back in. And more importantly all of my weapons are older than the kingdom anyway. I'm definitely keen on the reduced armour concept so I suppose I should start shopping around.

            Vlad

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 8 , May 16 7:05 PM
              Greetings Lars,

              1)  I have one flexi dagger that I pull out for double dagger, the Shire of Trinovantia Nova has 1 or 2 loaner flexi-daggers, and Lord Donald Jacob Maurie has one.  I think Lady Lusia from Trinovantia Nova has one as well.
              2)  I use mine any time I'm fighting double dagger.  Lord DJ will use his when not fighting Case.  Trino will use them at practice when someone is learning dagger, and I have seen them lent out in the past for use at Events.  If I am correct about Lady Lousia, she and her daughter uses one regularly.
              3)  I recommend that we don't phase out the flexi-dagger while Light Armour is an experiment.  Experiements that lighten armour requirements don't seem to translate into rule all that often.  If we do participate in the light armour experiment, then I suggest we treat the flexi-dagger similar to what we do with Cut & Thrust only blades:  If you both are wearing puncture resistant armour, then you can use flexi-daggers in the bout.  If you both are participating in the light armour experiment, then the flexi-dagger stays off the list.

              Just my opinion as requested,

              Mateo de Merida

              Message 6 of 8 , May 17 4:20 AM
                At 06:13 PM 5/16/2012, you wrote:

                2 Flexi daggers in the March. So not as few as it would first appear.
              • Windows Live™ Team
                Message 7 of 8 , May 18 6:32 AM
                  Thank you Captain, Otherwise I am in a very sore place as I have discovered I am very hard pressed to fight with any long sword in any for see-able future.
                  Luisa

                  To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com