Flexi-Daggers

  • L. Tremblay
    Message 1 of 8 , May 16 1:27 PM
      Some discussion around the venerable flexidagger came up at the Border
      Spat this past weekend. With the light armour experiment progressing,
      we are looking ahead to when that expands or concludes. Because a
      flexidagger is basically just a really short foil, their legality in
      Ealdormere will preclude our participation in the experiment if/when it
      expands to other kingdoms, or, at the very least quite possibly preclude
      Ealdormere from permitting light armour should it become permitted by
      society at the end of the experiment. Of course, if we remove
      flexidaggers as a legal blade type, this problem goes away...

      With that said, there are no guarantees on the light armour experiment
      going anywhere past the experimental stage.

      I honestly can't remember the last time I saw anyone using a flexi on
      the list, but I am not omniscient (I know, I know, shattering your
      illusions.) The questions then become:

      - Do you (or do people in your group) use flexidaggers still?
      - From that, how many are in regular use across Ealdormere?
      - Do you have any comments (either way) regarding phasing out flexidaggers?

      We also must be aware that most people can't just up and get a new piece
      of gear at a moment's notice. That goes to a phase-out period that
      doesn't leave people mad.

      Discuss.

      Lars
    • EVE HARRIS
      Message 2 of 8 , May 16 1:41 PM
        Currently we have one person still using a flexidagger in Der Welfengau. I would encourage the eventual removal of this blade type in Ealdormere. As I noted in a previous post, there are a number of much better looking alternatives out there now. It was nice to have the flexidaggers back in the day as they filled an important need, but I think their time has passed and they are now a hinderance to possibly joining the reduced armour experiment.

        Alternatives:

        Zen Warrior:

        http://www.zenwarriorarmory.com/catalog.php?item=78&catid=40&ret=catalog.php%3Fcategory%3D40

        Darkwood:

        http://www.darkwoodarmory.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=11_12&products_id=72

        Alchem Inc.

        http://www.alcheminc.com/daggerblades.html

        Albrecht

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , May 16 1:42 PM
          I can advise Mateo has one and occasionally uses it. I can't advise his feelings regarding his loss of being able to use it though.

          So the light armor experiment is only for non foil use?

          Cainder

          Kelly Wyatt
          SCA: Cainder inghen Hui Chatharnaig
          k.wyatt59@...

          To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com

          Message 4 of 8 , May 16 1:57 PM
            We have a fellow from Caid playing with us in Ardcreag, he has two
            flexidaggers. He has been on the fencing periphery for several years, and
            so these are pieces of kit holding on from times long gone by.

            I'm all for marching forward toward lighter armour standards and putting
            the last of the olympic fencing gear and armour requirements behind us.

            Of course, this is so I can worry more about padding armour for additional
            protection against the new blade types that have been introduced.

            --
            Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
            Historian

          • Dan Blair
            Message 5 of 8 , May 16 3:13 PM
              I still use flexi-daggers. Of course I've been out of the game for a while and only just getting back in. And more importantly all of my weapons are older than the kingdom anyway. I'm definitely keen on the reduced armour concept so I suppose I should start shopping around.

              Vlad

              ________________________________

              Message 6 of 8 , May 16 7:05 PM
                Greetings Lars,

                1)  I have one flexi dagger that I pull out for double dagger, the Shire of Trinovantia Nova has 1 or 2 loaner flexi-daggers, and Lord Donald Jacob Maurie has one.  I think Lady Lusia from Trinovantia Nova has one as well.
                2)  I use mine any time I'm fighting double dagger.  Lord DJ will use his when not fighting Case.  Trino will use them at practice when someone is learning dagger, and I have seen them lent out in the past for use at Events.  If I am correct about Lady Lousia, she and her daughter uses one regularly.
                3)  I recommend that we don't phase out the flexi-dagger while Light Armour is an experiment.  Experiements that lighten armour requirements don't seem to translate into rule all that often.  If we do participate in the light armour experiment, then I suggest we treat the flexi-dagger similar to what we do with Cut & Thrust only blades:  If you both are wearing puncture resistant armour, then you can use flexi-daggers in the bout.  If you both are participating in the light armour experiment, then the flexi-dagger stays off the list.

                Just my opinion as requested,

                Mateo de Merida

                Message 7 of 8 , May 17 4:20 AM
                  At 06:13 PM 5/16/2012, you wrote:

                  2 Flexi daggers in the March. So not as few as it would first appear.
                • Windows Live™ Team
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 18 6:32 AM
                    Thank you Captain, Otherwise I am in a very sore place as I have discovered I am very hard pressed to fight with any long sword in any for see-able future.
                    Luisa

                    To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com