Fencing at FOOL

  • EVE HARRIS
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 30, 2012

      Fruits of Our Labours is rapidly approaching and as noted in my previous post there will be lots of opportunities for learning and playing when it comes to the art of defence. Here are the details I promised for the tournament on Saturday:

      Authentic Accoutrements Tourney

      In this tournament, the number of touches that have to be scored on you is
      determined by the authenticity of your kit. The more authentic your kit, the
      more touches it will take to eliminate you from the tournament. For example:

      1 hit - mostly modern equipment - e.g. modern fencing jacket, running
      shoes, jeans or slacks
      2 hits- pretty good - a reasonable attempt at pre-17th century garb
      3 hits - nice - all pre-1600 kit, nothing visibly modern save a mask,
      rapier and dagger hilts are period - the ten foot rule will be
      in effect (i.e. if it looks good from 10 feet, it's good).
      4 hits- someone that could have stepped out of a picture from the period
      1550-1600, from the top of their head to the tip of their toes. Parrying devices must be period in nature and not bizarre. Participants will be scored on average of several categories: Torso/Head, Legs, Feet, and Weapons/Parrying Devices. Average of these categories determines final score.

      The Marshal in Charge and perhaps one or two other judges will do the authenticity checking and each participant will be informed of the number of touches they can take.
      The tourney will be fought as a single or double elimination tourney with random draw depending on numbers of fencers for the day.

      Please feel free to provide documentation for you accoutrement if you think there will be any questions of its authenticity. AVB Norman's Rapier and Smallsword 1460-1820 will be used to check sword and dagger hilts to see if they are pre 17th century.

      If anybody has an idea for a second tourney list space will be available on Sunday after the classes or we can have some free fencing time.

      There are tonnes of other classes and things of interest to see and do at the event. More details can be found here:

      http://fool.lilleypress.com/

      Yours in Service

    • EVE HARRIS
      Message 2 of 3 , May 18 6:59 AM

        I may be slightly delayed getting to the site as my son is attending a sleepover tonight and we have an extra passanger to pick up. I should be there by 10:30. If a Rapier Marshal could baby sit the list (down by the picnic shelter) until I get there, I would really appreciate it.