Border Spat - Serious Threat from the East

  • David Gotlieb
    Message 1 of 9 , Mar 22, 2012
      Greetings unto the list,

      I have heard through the rumour mill that the Barony of Dragon Dormant (Montreal) is taking the upcoming Border Spat event with Skraeling Althing very seriously. While their armoured combat numbers are small, they are apparently a rapier-heavy Barony. Rumour has it that they have gathered as many as 30 fencers to take part in the tournaments at Border Spat. They are apparently hoping to overcome in numbers what they obviously won't be able to do in skill. :)

      While I of course will be completely neutral as Marshal in Charge, I'd hate to see these types of tactics succeed in winning the day without a fair fight. And while I'm sure that a smaller number of Ealdormerian fencers is the equal to 30  from Dragon Dormant, imagine what an equal number of our own could do?

      What will you get if you come out to Border Spat in Cornwall on May 12th you ask?

      We are going to hopefully have a really big group to cross blades with from multiple Kingdoms.

      We have what I think are some pretty cool tournaments planned, plus space and time dedicated to pick-ups.

      We have some pretty big names in fencing from around the SCA planning to attend to support the Academy of Defence.

      We have a really great space with lots of room specifically dedicated to rapier, and only rapier.

      I can tell you the feast menu, which isn't yet posted, is going to be awesome with lots of variety (we have an entire home-ec room with 6 stoves to work from).

      There's going to be other activities too - including archery, armoured combat, dancing, bardic, A&S and hopefully some merchants.

      Oh, and did I mention lots of fencing, and more fencing? Not to mention the glory of beating those ruffians from Dragon Dormant!

      And, all of this is indoors, so full activities will happen rain or shine!

      Details are on the Harrowgate Heath web site (www.harrowgateheath.com) and are regularly being updated as details are finalized.

      Lord Dafydd ap Alan
      Rapier Marshal in Charge - Border Spat

      Message 2 of 9 , May 7, 2012
        What time do the rapier activities start at Border Spat?

        Eyrny

        Message 3 of 9 , May 7, 2012
          And what does the light lunch included in the site fee include?

          Eyrny
        • David Gotlieb
          Message 4 of 9 , May 7, 2012
            The rapier list opens for inspections and authorizations around 10:30, although I'll be there earlier if folks make it through gate quickly and are ready to go.

            We have a full day of tourneys scheduled plus space for pick-ups in the afternoon once the EAOD activities are completed. The full schedule is on the Border Spat web site (Just scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see links to the rapier schedule, the feast and the lunch).

            For the lunch, I know there's a pork stew, borscht, cheese and onion pie and some really yummy buns plus various other accompaniments.

            Lord Dafydd ap Alan (MKA David Gotlieb)
            Canton of Harrowgate Heath
            RMIC - Border Spat

            ________________________________
            Message 5 of 9 , May 7, 2012

              For any who need to do the marshal's course, I will be at FOOL and Murder Melee. I will NOT be at Trillies this year. If you need the course, drop me an email so that I can expect to be giving the course.

              Lars
              Message 6 of 9 , May 9, 2012
                For FOOL is there an estimated when and where ?
                Thanks !

                Message 7 of 9 , May 9, 2012
                  Seconded!

                  > For FOOL is there an estimated when and where ?
                  > Thanks !
                  >
                  > At 10:09 PM 5/7/2012, you wrote:
                  > >

                  > >Greetings!
                  > >
                  > >For any who need to do the marshal's course, I will be at FOOL and
                  > >Murder Melee. I will NOT be at Trillies this year. If you need the
                  > >course, drop me an email so that I can expect to be giving the course.
                  > >
                  > >Lars
                  > >
                  > >_

                • Anthropicus Panthera Morphous
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 9, 2012
                    I'm going to be needing that course at FOOL, I think.

                    Cheers,

                    Wayne Renaud
                    Guillaume Dangeau

                    On 07/05/2012 10:09 PM, lrt512 wrote:

                    > Greetings!
                    >
                    > For any who need to do the marshal's course, I will be at FOOL and
                    > Murder Melee. I will NOT be at Trillies this year. If you need the
                    > course, drop me an email so that I can expect to be giving the course.
                    >
                    > Lars

                  • Thoré
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 13, 2012
                      Thanks to everyone involved with this event. I had an excellent time - great fighting, great conversation, great food.

                      Congratulations to your two new Deans of the Ealdormere Academy of Defense. Well-deserved.

                      YIS,
                      Thoré de Bethune,
                      An Tir