Re: [E_Rapier] Reduced Armour Experiment

  • Aaron Miedema
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
      Lars...

      What do you think about Ealdormere crawling on board with this
      experiement? Thore seems interested in widening his information data and
      there seems to be interest here in helping him do that.

      Thore has mentioned that Light Rapier is strictly forbidden with the
      experiment, and this makes sence, these are the weapons that have the
      likelyhood of breaking in the blade. How would the Light Armour Exp.
      create issues with the "Out of Kingdom Epee" authorization? As well, what
      does this mean for the ubiquitous flexidagger?

      I be interested in getting your thoughts on this, and anyone else's.

      --
      Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
      Historian

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
        From Gerrard:
        I would be interested in testing some fabrics at
        1/2 and 3/4 the drop distance. Just to get a feel of what passes.
        Plus often I have seen quite a variance in what
        abrasion-resistant fabric is. Some is almost see through ! Others Not !!
        Currently 2 layers of thick tightly woven
        butchers grade canvas ( what I use ) passes the
        drop test. One layer would be fascinating !!

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
          Hmmm what is a ... from the questionnaire

          Did any of your opponents feel uncomfortable about your reduced
          armor? Yes/No radio buttons

          Radio Button ?????????
        • kgormanshaw@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
            A radio button is the name of the circular buttons you click on when you answer questions on a computer form, the type that let you choose only one answer, not multiple answers.

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
              Ohhh Tay then Thanks ..Odd name !!

              At 09:08 AM 3/21/2012, you wrote:
              >A radio button is the name of the circular
              >buttons you click on when you answer questions
              >on a computer form, the type that let you choose
              >only one answer, not multiple answers.
              >
              >Eyrny
              >Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
              >
              >Hmmm what is a ... from the questionnaire
              >
              >Did any of your opponents feel uncomfortable about your reduced
              >armor? Yes/No radio buttons
              >
              >Radio Button ?????????

            • Bill Ernoehazy
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                As a jargon term, it goes back a solid 30 years... at least among chipheads
                and codescriveners like me.

                Cheerfully, G... who voluntarily learned LISP. ;-)

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                  Gerrard...

                  From what I read, with the Light Armour Experiment, there is only rigid
                  protection and abrasion resistant protection. There wouldn't be a need to
                  use a drop-tester any more as there would no longer be a puncture-resistant
                  protection layer. Also, there would only be a pass/fail for rigid parts.

                  The way I see it, with the LAE, any additional armour is of the
                  individual's desire and how willing they are to walk away with more
                  bruises. :)

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                    Our armour was never about preventing bruises.
                    --g

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                      True, but it has always been a side benefit that it reduces the number of
                      bruises that one would likely have gotten without it.

                      -Nikolai

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                        Given the other groups i play with, I have to say I haven't found that
                        to be the case. However, I've just used the basic layering for armour
                        and never padded anything.
                        --g

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                          Yes I'm aware of that.