Re: [E_Rapier] Reduced Armour Experiment

  • kgormanshaw@gmail.com
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
      Read all the phases.

      -----Original Message-----
      From: John Enzinas <jenzinas@...>
      Sender: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2012 07:30:49
      To: <E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com>
      Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Reduced Armour Experiment

      The thing is, they are only letting their best fencers wear reduced armour.
      You'd think that if they really wanted to test it, they'd put it on
      people who were more likely to get hit.

      --g

      On Wed, Mar 21, 2012 at 1:52 AM, Nicholas J. Corkigian
      <doctormobius@...> wrote:
      > Very cool!
      >
      > -Nikolai
      >
      > On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM, L. Tremblay <lrt512@...> wrote:
      >
      >> **
      >>

      >> Forwarding on, FYI:
      >>
      >> The kingdoms of An Tir and Atenveldt have received approval to start a
      >> reduced armour experiment. In this experiment puncture resistant
      >> material will be replaced by abrasion resistant material over the body.
      >> It's going to be a year long experiment in 3 phases. For more details,
      >> read the proposal found here.
      >>
      >> http://nwrapier.avacal.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=213%3Areduced-armour-experiment&catid=1%3Aan-tir&Itemid=13
      >>
      >> Lars

    • Aaron Miedema
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
        Lars...

        What do you think about Ealdormere crawling on board with this
        experiement? Thore seems interested in widening his information data and
        there seems to be interest here in helping him do that.

        Thore has mentioned that Light Rapier is strictly forbidden with the
        experiment, and this makes sence, these are the weapons that have the
        likelyhood of breaking in the blade. How would the Light Armour Exp.
        create issues with the "Out of Kingdom Epee" authorization? As well, what
        does this mean for the ubiquitous flexidagger?

        I be interested in getting your thoughts on this, and anyone else's.

        --
        Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
        Historian

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
          From Gerrard:
          I would be interested in testing some fabrics at
          1/2 and 3/4 the drop distance. Just to get a feel of what passes.
          Plus often I have seen quite a variance in what
          abrasion-resistant fabric is. Some is almost see through ! Others Not !!
          Currently 2 layers of thick tightly woven
          butchers grade canvas ( what I use ) passes the
          drop test. One layer would be fascinating !!

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
            Hmmm what is a ... from the questionnaire

            Did any of your opponents feel uncomfortable about your reduced
            armor? Yes/No radio buttons

            Radio Button ?????????
          • kgormanshaw@gmail.com
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
              A radio button is the name of the circular buttons you click on when you answer questions on a computer form, the type that let you choose only one answer, not multiple answers.

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                Ohhh Tay then Thanks ..Odd name !!

                At 09:08 AM 3/21/2012, you wrote:
                >A radio button is the name of the circular
                >buttons you click on when you answer questions
                >on a computer form, the type that let you choose
                >only one answer, not multiple answers.
                >
                >Eyrny
                >Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
                >
                >Hmmm what is a ... from the questionnaire
                >
                >Did any of your opponents feel uncomfortable about your reduced
                >armor? Yes/No radio buttons
                >
                >Radio Button ?????????

              • Bill Ernoehazy
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                  As a jargon term, it goes back a solid 30 years... at least among chipheads
                  and codescriveners like me.

                  Cheerfully, G... who voluntarily learned LISP. ;-)

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                    Gerrard...

                    From what I read, with the Light Armour Experiment, there is only rigid
                    protection and abrasion resistant protection. There wouldn't be a need to
                    use a drop-tester any more as there would no longer be a puncture-resistant
                    protection layer. Also, there would only be a pass/fail for rigid parts.

                    The way I see it, with the LAE, any additional armour is of the
                    individual's desire and how willing they are to walk away with more
                    bruises. :)

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                      Our armour was never about preventing bruises.
                      --g

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                        True, but it has always been a side benefit that it reduces the number of
                        bruises that one would likely have gotten without it.

                        -Nikolai

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                          Given the other groups i play with, I have to say I haven't found that
                          to be the case. However, I've just used the basic layering for armour
                          and never padded anything.
                          --g

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                            Yes I'm aware of that.