Re: [E_Rapier] Reduced Armour Experiment

  • Nicholas J. Corkigian
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 20, 2012
      Very cool!

      -Nikolai

      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
        The thing is, they are only letting their best fencers wear reduced armour.
        You'd think that if they really wanted to test it, they'd put it on
        people who were more likely to get hit.

        --g

      • kgormanshaw@gmail.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
          Read all the phases.

          <doctormobius@...> wrote:
          > Very cool!
          >
          > -Nikolai
          >
          > On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM, L. Tremblay <lrt512@...> wrote:
          >
          >> **
          >>

          >> Forwarding on, FYI:
          >>
          >> The kingdoms of An Tir and Atenveldt have received approval to start a
          >> reduced armour experiment. In this experiment puncture resistant
          >> material will be replaced by abrasion resistant material over the body.
          >> It's going to be a year long experiment in 3 phases. For more details,
          >> read the proposal found here.
          >>
          >> http://nwrapier.avacal.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=213%3Areduced-armour-experiment&catid=1%3Aan-tir&Itemid=13
          >>
          >> Lars

        • Aaron Miedema
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
            Lars...

            What do you think about Ealdormere crawling on board with this
            experiement? Thore seems interested in widening his information data and
            there seems to be interest here in helping him do that.

            Thore has mentioned that Light Rapier is strictly forbidden with the
            experiment, and this makes sence, these are the weapons that have the
            likelyhood of breaking in the blade. How would the Light Armour Exp.
            create issues with the "Out of Kingdom Epee" authorization? As well, what
            does this mean for the ubiquitous flexidagger?

            I be interested in getting your thoughts on this, and anyone else's.

            --
            Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
            Historian

            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
              From Gerrard:
              I would be interested in testing some fabrics at
              1/2 and 3/4 the drop distance. Just to get a feel of what passes.
              Plus often I have seen quite a variance in what
              abrasion-resistant fabric is. Some is almost see through ! Others Not !!
              Currently 2 layers of thick tightly woven
              butchers grade canvas ( what I use ) passes the
              drop test. One layer would be fascinating !!

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                Hmmm what is a ... from the questionnaire

                Did any of your opponents feel uncomfortable about your reduced
                armor? Yes/No radio buttons

                Radio Button ?????????
              • kgormanshaw@gmail.com
                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                  A radio button is the name of the circular buttons you click on when you answer questions on a computer form, the type that let you choose only one answer, not multiple answers.

                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                    Ohhh Tay then Thanks ..Odd name !!

                    At 09:08 AM 3/21/2012, you wrote:
                    >A radio button is the name of the circular
                    >buttons you click on when you answer questions
                    >on a computer form, the type that let you choose
                    >only one answer, not multiple answers.
                    >
                    >Eyrny
                    >Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
                    >
                    >Hmmm what is a ... from the questionnaire
                    >
                    >Did any of your opponents feel uncomfortable about your reduced
                    >armor? Yes/No radio buttons
                    >
                    >Radio Button ?????????

                  • Bill Ernoehazy
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                      As a jargon term, it goes back a solid 30 years... at least among chipheads
                      and codescriveners like me.

                      Cheerfully, G... who voluntarily learned LISP. ;-)

                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                        Gerrard...

                        From what I read, with the Light Armour Experiment, there is only rigid
                        protection and abrasion resistant protection. There wouldn't be a need to
                        use a drop-tester any more as there would no longer be a puncture-resistant
                        protection layer. Also, there would only be a pass/fail for rigid parts.

                        The way I see it, with the LAE, any additional armour is of the
                        individual's desire and how willing they are to walk away with more
                        bruises. :)

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                          Our armour was never about preventing bruises.
                          --g

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                            True, but it has always been a side benefit that it reduces the number of
                            bruises that one would likely have gotten without it.

                            -Nikolai

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                              Given the other groups i play with, I have to say I haven't found that
                              to be the case. However, I've just used the basic layering for armour
                              and never padded anything.
                              --g

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                                Yes I'm aware of that.