Reduced Armour Experiment

  • L. Tremblay
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 20, 2012
      Forwarding on, FYI:

      The kingdoms of An Tir and Atenveldt have received approval to start a
      reduced armour experiment. In this experiment puncture resistant
      material will be replaced by abrasion resistant material over the body.
      It's going to be a year long experiment in 3 phases. For more details,
      read the proposal found here.
      http://nwrapier.avacal.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=213%3Areduced-armour-experiment&catid=1%3Aan-tir&Itemid=13

      Lars
    • Nicholas J. Corkigian
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 20, 2012
        Very cool!

        -Nikolai

        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
          The thing is, they are only letting their best fencers wear reduced armour.
          You'd think that if they really wanted to test it, they'd put it on
          people who were more likely to get hit.

          --g

        • kgormanshaw@gmail.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
            Read all the phases.

            <doctormobius@...> wrote:
            > Very cool!
            >
            > -Nikolai
            >
            > On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 11:23 PM, L. Tremblay <lrt512@...> wrote:
            >
            >> **
            >>

            >> Forwarding on, FYI:
            >>
            >> The kingdoms of An Tir and Atenveldt have received approval to start a
            >> reduced armour experiment. In this experiment puncture resistant
            >> material will be replaced by abrasion resistant material over the body.
            >> It's going to be a year long experiment in 3 phases. For more details,
            >> read the proposal found here.
            >>
            >> http://nwrapier.avacal.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=213%3Areduced-armour-experiment&catid=1%3Aan-tir&Itemid=13
            >>
            >> Lars

          • Aaron Miedema
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
              Lars...

              What do you think about Ealdormere crawling on board with this
              experiement? Thore seems interested in widening his information data and
              there seems to be interest here in helping him do that.

              Thore has mentioned that Light Rapier is strictly forbidden with the
              experiment, and this makes sence, these are the weapons that have the
              likelyhood of breaking in the blade. How would the Light Armour Exp.
              create issues with the "Out of Kingdom Epee" authorization? As well, what
              does this mean for the ubiquitous flexidagger?

              I be interested in getting your thoughts on this, and anyone else's.

              --
              Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
              Historian

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                From Gerrard:
                I would be interested in testing some fabrics at
                1/2 and 3/4 the drop distance. Just to get a feel of what passes.
                Plus often I have seen quite a variance in what
                abrasion-resistant fabric is. Some is almost see through ! Others Not !!
                Currently 2 layers of thick tightly woven
                butchers grade canvas ( what I use ) passes the
                drop test. One layer would be fascinating !!

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                  Hmmm what is a ... from the questionnaire

                  Did any of your opponents feel uncomfortable about your reduced
                  armor? Yes/No radio buttons

                  Radio Button ?????????
                • kgormanshaw@gmail.com
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                    A radio button is the name of the circular buttons you click on when you answer questions on a computer form, the type that let you choose only one answer, not multiple answers.

                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                      Ohhh Tay then Thanks ..Odd name !!

                      At 09:08 AM 3/21/2012, you wrote:
                      >A radio button is the name of the circular
                      >buttons you click on when you answer questions
                      >on a computer form, the type that let you choose
                      >only one answer, not multiple answers.
                      >
                      >Eyrny
                      >Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device
                      >
                      >Hmmm what is a ... from the questionnaire
                      >
                      >Did any of your opponents feel uncomfortable about your reduced
                      >armor? Yes/No radio buttons
                      >
                      >Radio Button ?????????

                    • Bill Ernoehazy
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                        As a jargon term, it goes back a solid 30 years... at least among chipheads
                        and codescriveners like me.

                        Cheerfully, G... who voluntarily learned LISP. ;-)

                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                          Gerrard...

                          From what I read, with the Light Armour Experiment, there is only rigid
                          protection and abrasion resistant protection. There wouldn't be a need to
                          use a drop-tester any more as there would no longer be a puncture-resistant
                          protection layer. Also, there would only be a pass/fail for rigid parts.

                          The way I see it, with the LAE, any additional armour is of the
                          individual's desire and how willing they are to walk away with more
                          bruises. :)

                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                            Our armour was never about preventing bruises.
                            --g

                            Message 13 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                              True, but it has always been a side benefit that it reduces the number of
                              bruises that one would likely have gotten without it.

                              -Nikolai

                              Message 14 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                                Given the other groups i play with, I have to say I haven't found that
                                to be the case. However, I've just used the basic layering for armour
                                and never padded anything.
                                --g

                                Message 15 of 15 , Mar 21, 2012
                                  Yes I'm aware of that.