On Wanting Awards ( was Re: [E_Rapier] Re: Val Day / Peerage)

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 14, 2012
      On Mon, Feb 13, 2012 at 10:07 PM, William 'the Griffin' of Otterton
      <griffin@...> wrote:
      > Actually, I don't want to receive awards either and I've made that fact very plain to those who know me well. A job done better today than I did it yesterday is enough reward for me. YMMV.
      >
      > William 'the Griffin' of Otterton

      Keep in mind that an award (like all gifts) has two sides. In order
      for your name to get on a scroll, what usually happens is that a
      number of friends and people who have noticed your skill or service
      send messages to the fancy hats about the great things that you do and
      how they feel that you should be rewarded.

      Once the fancy hats decide to give an award, your name and the basic
      details get handed off to a scribe (or more than one) (who in this
      kingdom especially work amazingly hard), usually one who asks for the
      privileged of doing your scroll.

      Then those of us who wear the fancy hats try and get our schedules
      coordinated with yours so that we can actually give the award both at
      a time when you and your friends are present.

      Awards are gifts with multiple givers who all think you deserve the
      accolade. While the thing you do may be its own award (and usually is)
      people still deserve the opportunity to tell you that your work is
      awesome.