Re: [E_Rapier] Re: Val Day / Peerage

    Message 1 of 100 , Feb 13, 2012
      Jocelyn,

      I think that is a good point, how is it going to go beyond?  It's something we are going to have to determine if we are going to advise their majesties.

      I would suggest we adapt the same conventions used for Armoured Combat for our own purposes.  This would be my take on the criteria (my own interpretation):

          AoA = As it is now
          Scarlet Banner = As it is now
          Order of Thorbjorn's Hammer = someone knowledgable in historical forms and a leader on the list within the Kingdom
          Rapier Peerage = Someone knowledgable in historical forms and a leader within and outside the Kingdom

      Or

          Order of Thorbjorn's Hammer = someone of Free Scholar or Provost level/capability with the EAoD
          Rapier Peerage = someone of Provost or Dean level/capability within the EAoD

      Just my 2 cents,

      Mateo de Merida

      ________________________________
      Message 100 of 100 , Feb 21, 2012
        Irene, thanks again for you input and weighing the contrary points of view.

        I too have seen the sence of it taking too long for elevation. But,
        typically it is on the part of person who is seeking the rank "Hells bells,
        what do I have to do to get noticed." =) Living on the edge of a Kingdom
        for much of my time in the SCA, I chalked it up to being on the edge of a
        Kingdom. Although, to be frank the ins and outs of the awards system has
        not ever irked me, it has left me alone, and I have left it alone.

        You are correct that "peers behaving badly" is a personality and case by
        case experience. The counter question would be, how many individual
        cases does it take to form a theme? =) Once again it is a glass half
        empty half full kind of discussion. One can acknowledge individual trees,
        but sometimes trees are part of a forest. =)

        I think that there might be regional/kingdom differences. I'll go out on a
        limb and express my opinion, I suspect Ealdormere suffers from more
        fractious and passive-aggressive politics than in most kingdoms. Two
        things make me suggest this. First, the Kingdom has a fairly hight level
        of membership, but only slightly more than half of that membership is
        active in the cantons. In other words, there are alot of people who like
        the SCA but aren't interested in participating in the administration of the
        kingdom. Now this is only one potential broad readings of the statistics.
        The second is that I am having this discussion with peers from out of
        kingdom. Not that I mind that, the out of Kingdom perspective is good. I
        suspect there is a certain amount of insecurity within the kingdom that
        motivates people prefer to not engage in such discussions of cabbages and
        kings. =) In the end I think that this may simply add to isolation and
        resentment. But that is merely my opinion. =)

        Thanks again Irene.
        --
        Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
        Historian