RE: [E_Rapier] Val Day / Peerage

    Message 1 of 100 , Feb 13, 2012
      Those are some awfully general statements and quite disparaging towards your fellow fencers, Aaron. I'm sure that there will be some negative aspects to the as yet "proposed" change however, there are also some really good things that I read in statements from people completing the SCA survey that discussed these things a year or two ago. It's only after much discussion that this seems to finally be moving toward an actual proposed change in corpora however it will undoubtedly be a few years setting up the changes to do so. So I'm certain that all the plusses and minuses will have been weighed by then.

      I'm certain that you didn't mean to disparage or dishonour your worthy Ealdomere compatriats however some may not take your statements with as much good humor as I.

      Regards,
      Cainder

      ---------------------------------
      Kelly Wyatt
      SCA: Cainder inghen Hui Chatharnaig

      k.wyatt59@...
      ---------------------------------

      To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
      From: govianus@...
      Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2012 09:02:20 -0500
      Subject: Re: [E_Rapier] Val Day / Peerage

      Fencing Peerage. 100% bad idea. Fencing is made unsafe by
      hyper-competitiveness and politics. This will do little but increase
      both. In the long run I can see it doing little but making the game
      political and hyper-competitive. On the plus side it should be a boon for
      WMA and HEMA.

      Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
      Historian

    • Aaron Miedema
      Message 100 of 100 , Feb 21, 2012
        Irene, thanks again for you input and weighing the contrary points of view.

        I too have seen the sence of it taking too long for elevation. But,
        typically it is on the part of person who is seeking the rank "Hells bells,
        what do I have to do to get noticed." =) Living on the edge of a Kingdom
        for much of my time in the SCA, I chalked it up to being on the edge of a
        Kingdom. Although, to be frank the ins and outs of the awards system has
        not ever irked me, it has left me alone, and I have left it alone.

        You are correct that "peers behaving badly" is a personality and case by
        case experience. The counter question would be, how many individual
        cases does it take to form a theme? =) Once again it is a glass half
        empty half full kind of discussion. One can acknowledge individual trees,
        but sometimes trees are part of a forest. =)

        I think that there might be regional/kingdom differences. I'll go out on a
        limb and express my opinion, I suspect Ealdormere suffers from more
        fractious and passive-aggressive politics than in most kingdoms. Two
        things make me suggest this. First, the Kingdom has a fairly hight level
        of membership, but only slightly more than half of that membership is
        active in the cantons. In other words, there are alot of people who like
        the SCA but aren't interested in participating in the administration of the
        kingdom. Now this is only one potential broad readings of the statistics.
        The second is that I am having this discussion with peers from out of
        kingdom. Not that I mind that, the out of Kingdom perspective is good. I
        suspect there is a certain amount of insecurity within the kingdom that
        motivates people prefer to not engage in such discussions of cabbages and
        kings. =) In the end I think that this may simply add to isolation and
        resentment. But that is merely my opinion. =)

        Thanks again Irene.
        --
        Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
        Historian