Val Day / Peerage

    Message 1 of 100 , Feb 13, 2012
      From Gerrrard:
      One Zombie
      then more Zombies !!
      Sometimes the Zombies won and sometimes they didn't.
      Challenging and fun !!
      I think Jessica of Henderson won that ??
      Blood Cloak Tourney !
      Simple reverse Bear pit. Lady Aliena of the March winning !!
      Thanks to Robin ( sp ?) for MIC and putting up with me !! smiles

      During the Kingdom Moot a young woman representing SCA Inc.
      Firstly described and took questions about the latest Law suit.

      Then she announced that SCA Corpora is now creating a venue for
      Fencers to have ,hold and maintain a Peerage !

      So put your thoughts together on that one !! WOOT !!!!
    • Aaron Miedema
      Message 100 of 100 , Feb 21, 2012
        Irene, thanks again for you input and weighing the contrary points of view.

        I too have seen the sence of it taking too long for elevation. But,
        typically it is on the part of person who is seeking the rank "Hells bells,
        what do I have to do to get noticed." =) Living on the edge of a Kingdom
        for much of my time in the SCA, I chalked it up to being on the edge of a
        Kingdom. Although, to be frank the ins and outs of the awards system has
        not ever irked me, it has left me alone, and I have left it alone.

        You are correct that "peers behaving badly" is a personality and case by
        case experience. The counter question would be, how many individual
        cases does it take to form a theme? =) Once again it is a glass half
        empty half full kind of discussion. One can acknowledge individual trees,
        but sometimes trees are part of a forest. =)

        I think that there might be regional/kingdom differences. I'll go out on a
        limb and express my opinion, I suspect Ealdormere suffers from more
        fractious and passive-aggressive politics than in most kingdoms. Two
        things make me suggest this. First, the Kingdom has a fairly hight level
        of membership, but only slightly more than half of that membership is
        active in the cantons. In other words, there are alot of people who like
        the SCA but aren't interested in participating in the administration of the
        kingdom. Now this is only one potential broad readings of the statistics.
        The second is that I am having this discussion with peers from out of
        kingdom. Not that I mind that, the out of Kingdom perspective is good. I
        suspect there is a certain amount of insecurity within the kingdom that
        motivates people prefer to not engage in such discussions of cabbages and
        kings. =) In the end I think that this may simply add to isolation and
        resentment. But that is merely my opinion. =)

        Thanks again Irene.
        --
        Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
        Historian