Journal

  • Aaron Miedema
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 13, 2011
      Good day to you all...

      I've recently been tagged to edit the "Journal of Western Martial Art"
      http://jwma.ejmas.com/php-bin/jwma_content.php

      I've been given the responsibility for solliciting articles and getting out
      and networking with people who have something to say. Also, I am to help
      people in crafting the articles into a scholarly format, and so I also here
      to help people develop ideas into an article format.

      So, this email has three objectives.

      1) Ask if anyone has an article, or article idea that they want to develop.

      2) Request that if anyone out there in the ether knows someone who is
      writing or contemplating writing articles on the Western Martial Arts,
      please put them in touch with me. I am here to help peoples writing skills
      and provide a venus for the discourse of ideas.

      3) Look for contact information on chat groups, yahoo groups, facebook
      pages, etc... to join, network, and spread the word on. Consider me a
      neophyte here, and any suggestion would be of interest.

      If it does not offend the sensibilities of the list moderators (or the rest
      of the moderators, as I am one of them) doing this on list would
      potentially be helpful to spawn ideas.

      Although people are also encouraged to contact me off list at
      govianus@...

      Thanks

      --
      Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
      Historian

      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 13, 2011
        Have you seen the paper I wrote on using the cloak? If so, would it be
        suitable? If not would you like to see it and judge its suitability? I
        entered it at Kingdom A&S and it won the Research division. It would
        probably need some editing to make it less SCA.

[...]

        govianus@... <mailto:govianus%40gmail.com>

        Thanks

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 13, 2011
          Yes I have seen your paper, in fact I help Yvonne mark it. Indeed
          something less SCA would be required, for many WMA types SCA is a dirty
          acronym.

          You can find the submission guidelines for the journal at
          http://jwma.ejmas.com/php-bin/jwma_content.php?Tab=guide

          Look there, and look at the some of the articles to get a sence of a
          broader refashioning of the article.

          Above all you need to find a single over arching question to
          answer/examine, it seemed from the paper that you decided to do an
          investigation of cloak and then tried to find a thesis which bound all of
          it together. It seemed a touch jury rigged, and thus the flow of the paper
          was interupted by--albeit interesting--off topic tangents. I understand
          how hard it can be to let go of neat factoids, trust me, I've got a mitful
          from the thesis.

          To do this, I'd focus on the modern practice versus historical reality of
          either the sidesword (pre c1585) or Rapier (post c1585). OR examine to see
          if there is a change between the techniques of cloak with the sidesword and
          cloak with the Rapier. Needless to say, expanding the sources you are
          using is key. Marozzo was an obvious omission, and there is a translation
          of some of it by Wilson and Rispardi. I can also furnish you with a
          translated copy of Fabris if you want.... I'll try and start getting a
          links section posted on the Journal site.

          Does any of this help?

          And do ask questions, it how I can help you more.

          And what is the status of that hilt project of yours?

          Aaron