Rapier and Costume Academy Dec 3

  • Wendy Colbert
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 16, 2011
      I would like to invite one and all to the Rapier and Costume Academy on Dec. 3 by the Barony Marche of the Debatable Lands (Pittsburgh, PA) The event website is http://www.debatablelands.org/events/rapier_costuming/

      There are instructors from 5 kingdoms coming to teach. I hope to see some of you there.

      Mistress Irene von Schmetterling
      Here is the current list of classes we will be offering (subject to changes and addition):
      Class Descriptions - Rapier

      An Opportune Defense Lady Gabrielle de Winter
      This class will demonstrate the use of the thrust in opposition, carrying on to the use of the parry as an attack...that one may defend and kill within the same beat. Required equipment: a sword for slow work.
      1 hour

      Basic training for the dedicated fencer Master Ian Muir
      This is not an introduction to fencing class. This class is about establishing training methods to improve performance. We will cover foot work/ body mechanics, drill creation, working with partners, single rapier with a bit of physical conditioning. Required equipment: endurance, patience and basic heavy rapier equipment 1 hour

      Cappo Ferro Master Ian Muir
      This class is a basic introduction to the concepts found in Cappo Ferro. It will cover stance, footwork, guards, blade action timing and distance. Required equipment: fencing armor, and a preferably long (over35 inch) heavy rapier blade. 1 hour

      Étude One for Single Rapier Don Christian de Launey
      A practical exercise of rapier technique emphasizing application, integration and movement. This is suitable for practitioners of all levels. Required equipment: single rapier 1 hour

      Iberian Sword Play Sir Styker Langjar
      The Big Sword by The Books -- the montante, the great two handed sword of Iberia. Class will focus on the development of attacks, solo drills and if another instructor joins me, two person drills from authors such as Pietro Monte (1509), Pablo de Paredes and Luis Godinho (1599), Diaz de Viedma (1635), Diogo Gomes de Figueriedo (1651) and Perez de Mendoza (1675). Participants should have swords of a particular size (60 inches plus, but rattan, wood, plastic, or steel will work), but instructors will bring some, masks and gloves are necessary for paired plays. Instructor is Steve Hick/Strykar, but others may include Steve Reich from Primo Assaulto.

      Intermediate German Longsword for SCA Fencers: The masterstrokes Don Donnan MacDubhsidhe
      Learn the meisterhau, the master cuts of German longsword, and how to use them in SCA rapier. Class will be hands on, but non-contact. Required equipment: List legal (non sharp) two handed sword highly recommended but not required. Either cut and thrust or Heavy rapier legal. Limited wooden wasters will be available. 1 hour

      Introduction to footwork and point control- rapier 101 Mistress Irene von Schmetterling
      Just starting with Rapier or want to improve your foot work and point control? This class is for you. It will cover basics in footwork and point control. Required equipment: rapier simulator 1 hour

      Introduction to the Rapier of Joachim Meyer The Hon. Lord Giovanni de Enzinas, Baron Skraeling Athing
      This class is an introduction to the cut and thrust style that was presented by Joachim Meyer in his 1570 book "The Art of Combat" as translated by Jeffrey L. Forgeng. Participants will be taught the basics of footwork, cuts, thrusts and a number of basic plays for the remainder of the available time. In the course of the class, the teacher will also be likely to tangent into comparisons to both the earlier German fighting styles and also the contemporary and later Italian styles but he will try and keep this to a minimum so that more exchanges can be explored by the class. Required equipment: a mask and a single handed sword capable of performing cutting actions safely (no schlagers), as well as safety minimums as specified by the kingdom. Participants should be familiar with swordplay in general. 2 hours

      Late 16th Century Northern Italian Rapier Master Aeron Harper
      This class will cover aspects of the manuals written by Capo Ferro and Giganti. Depending on the experience of those who attend the class we can either start at the beginning and build a solid foundation on which to build, or we can explore various aspects of the techniques in more depth. Required equipment: Students will need a rapier (blunted and tipped, of course) - preferably with a blade between 40" and 45" in length - and a mask and gloves. You may bring a parrying dagger as well in case we get that far, but we will be focusing mainly on single sword. 2 hours

      Outcome Oriented Fencing: Making your Playbook Lord Will Parris
      The most successful fencers often talk about winning the fight before it begins. What do they mean by that? Instead of gambling and hoping for the best, they carefully choose what they want to happen in a fight, and more importantly, how to make that happen. This class will cover the basics of devising your own battle plan based on the examples of both period and contemporary fencers. 2 hours

      Play the Angles, an introduction to Nicoletto Giganti's non linear approach to fencing. Archibald Weatherford
      This class will examine the bind, the affront, and the avoidance of the enemy's guard in Giganti's system of Rapier. This class will be a hands on practical review of the foundational plays of Giganti's manual. The knowledge and ability to execute a proper historical lunge is a pre-requisite. Required equipment: SCA Rapier legal mask, gloves, gorget, and rapier (42" baited rapiers preferred, but not necessary, limited loaner weapons available) Recommended: SCA Rapier legal armor. 2 hours

      Spanish Circle: An Introduction to Destreza and Thibault Baron Eric Grenier de la Barre
      Instructor will present a Destreza circle, discuss its design and use as a practice tool, and talk a bit about Thibault's Academy of the Sword. 1 hour

      Swetnam's Rapier and Dagger: Italian Rapier English Style Master Aelfred of Chester
      Joseph Swetnam was the first Englishman to publish a treatise on the use of the rapier. It is likely he borrowed a number of his stances from Fabris and other Italian masters of the time and then gave them his own twist. This class will look at several of the stances and how Swetnam said they should be used. Required equipment: armor, a heavy rapier, preferably 40 inch or longer, and a dagger 1 hour

      Class Descriptions – Costuming

      12th Century Clothing: An Overview Mistress Briony of Chatham
      A look at the basics of 12th century clothing, primarily the elusive bliaut, using period sculpture and illumination sources. 1 hour, No fee or limit

      16th-century German common women's garb ("Kampfrau/Trossfrau") Lady Mariana von Rabenstern
      Overview of the basic form of the dress, period-appropriate fabrics and colors, using and adapting commercial patterns, construction tips, and descriptions of accompanying accessories such as headgear, outer wear, footwear, etc. to complete "the look." 1 hour, no fee

      Construction of Elizabethan Structured Hats Lady Madeleine de l’Este
      This class is an overview of making structured Elizabethan hats, focusing on men’s tall hats, with a discussion of the required tools and materials. Examples in various stages of construction will be available for examination. 1 hour, no fee

      German Renaissance Accessories Meisterin Fredeburg von Katzenellenbogen
      This class will look at chemises, shirts, hats and headcoverings, purses, and other accessories that complete early German Renaissance outfits (1470's to 1520s). Familiarity with sewing and clothing construction methods will be assumed and discussion will focus on the distinctive characteristics of this period. 1 hour, no fee, handouts for 10

      Gussets, Dags and Gores Mistress Cameron Fitzrery
      1 hour

      Intermediate Hand Sewing: Progress beyond hand-finished hems The Hon. Lady Roana d’Evreux
      There's nothing that's quite as convincing as the real deal! In this hands-on class we will cover hand-stitched eyelets and buttonholes, and learn how to make cartridge pleats. 1 hour

      Japanese Men's Clothing The Hon. Lord Ishiyama Gen'tarou Yori'ie
      The parts of a complete period man's traveling outfit, named and described with examples, references, and discussion. Some of these items are appropriate for women as well. 1 hour, no fee

      Late Period Handmade Buttons Maestra Filipia Capriotti
      Handmade Buttons can be the finishing touch touch for a fine 16th Century Garment and easier than you think. Although time consuming in quantity, the result is well worth the effort. Part 1: Wrapped Buttons. A base form wrapped in thread, tape or ribbon. Part 2: Needlework Buttons. Simple crewel style stitches cover a fabric wrapped button form.
      1.5 hours, $2 for handout and practice materials, 10 person limit

      Making 16th Century Leather Gloves Adapted for Fencing Duke Alen Elegil
      Make your own leather gloves in 16th Century style, adapted for fencing to best fit and move with your hands. 2 hours, Fee $2 for handout and patterns, Class limit = 24

      Perfectly Period Pretty Persian Princess Mistress Milesent di Vibert, Baroness Cleftlands
      This class goes over the layers and construction of Persian Noblewoman's attire of the early Safavid Dynasty (16th Century). Some info for men too, though the class is female-focused. 1 hour, no fee

      Practical Flemish Working Woman’s Garb Lady Ruadhri MacAoidha
      The class will provide a detailed look at the construction of the popular "Flemish" dress and accessories. My approach is sourcing from period painters, and filling in the gaps and guesses using a practical and work/life-tested theory. As far from costume as possible - you will be able to do farmwork, breastfeed, cook, and live in this dress. 1 hour, no fee

      Pucker Up! Bronzino Sleeves Mistress Amaryllis Coleman
      How one person recreates those glorious gathered upper sleeves. 1 hour, no fee

      Surface Decoration through Deconstruction: pinking, slashing, etc. Maestra Filipia Capriotti
      Decoration through Deconstruction encompasses some of the techniques used to alter plain fabric and create a huge variety of fancy fabric through pinking, cutting, rasing, embossing or raveling. Nine page handout and a packet of likely fabrics to practice on with tools to borrow, although most of the techniques can be accomplished with a box cutter and a little planning.
      1.5 hours. $2 for handout and fabric samples, 10 person limit

      Tailoring and Fitting of Elizabethan Doublets Lady Madeleine de l’Este
      This class will examine fitting and tailoring techniques involved in the construction of men’s Elizabethan doublets. We will discuss how to adjust patterns for an individual’s body shape and examine the Renaissance versions of pad stitching, shaping, and handling inter- and underlinings. Participants should have intermediate sewing knowledge. 1 hour

      Turkish Garb: An Overview of Women’s Clothing Baroness Katja Davidova Orlova Khazarina
      See some examples of period images of the clothing early Ottoman women wore, then review patterns and fabrics for making entaris, salwar, and gomleks. Participants are encouraged to bring their own Turkish garb for discussion and show & tell. 1 hour, no fee

      Come visit my esty shop StringsNstrands StringsNstrands.etsy.com
      for fiber goodies and handcrafted Montessori materials
      Message 2 of 5 , Nov 17, 2011
        This is definitely my 2nd choice for the weekend! Darn schedules :-)

        Eyrny
      • Wendy Colbert
        Message 3 of 5 , Nov 17, 2011
          I an sorry that scheduled worked out this way.
          Irene

          Sent from my iPhone

          On Nov 17, 2011, at 6:17 AM, Kathleen Gormanshaw <kgormanshaw@...> wrote:

          > This is definitely my 2nd choice for the weekend! Darn schedules :-)

        • patchett
          Message 4 of 5 , Nov 17, 2011
            Don't feel too sorry.

            She's being elevated to the Pelican that day. ;-)

            Rylyn

            --
            */aut viam inveniam aut faciam/*
            I'll either find a way or make one

            Message 5 of 5 , Nov 17, 2011
              Hi Rylyn,
              I knew that, which is why I am sorry that the schedule worked out this way.
              Irene

              Sent from my iPhone