Re: [E_Rapier] elbow protection

  • Aaron Miedema
    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 16, 2011
      I use $5 Walmart foam gardening knee pads. They do in a pinch.

      On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw <kgormanshaw@...
      > wrote:

      > **
      >

      > I need elbow protection for cut & thrust rapier, at a minimum padding,
      > but some rigid would be good too. I've just checked out all the
      > hockey elbows at Canadian Tire and I'm not satisfied with any of them.
      > They are bulkier than I need. I do like that there are multiple
      > straps, so I could probably ignore the one right across the inside of
      > the elbow and use the straps above and below the elbow.
      >
      > What other kinds of elbow protection should I look for? Lacrosse
      > comes to mind, but are there others? Any stores that I should look
      > at? I couldn't find anything lacrosse oriented at CT, but there
      > weren't enough staff on hand to be helpful either.

    • L. Tremblay
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 16, 2011
        Indeed. I just use the same low-profile stainless elbows I wear when
        fighting.

        Lars

        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 16, 2011
          I've tried a couple different versions of basic elbow cups, but I hate
          having a single strap going across the inside of my elbow, and I'm
          having very bad luck getting them to stay in place and be comfortable.
          At Gulf Wars I proved why it's a good idea to have the armour,
          unfortunately it had fallen out of position and didn't do it's job.

          I'm hoping for something modern I can try on, and even return if it
          doesn't work out.

          Eyrny

          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 17, 2011
            I use a pair of hard over soft elbows for skateboarding/roller bladeing.
            The'yre nice and not to intrusive and have a double set of straps. I also
            use a pair of stainless elbows I inherited from Hoskuld, but I haven't quite
            got the padding down right yet. I find close cell foam a bit too thick and
            cloth padding not padding enough.

            <mailto:lrt512%40sympatico.ca> > wrote:
            > Indeed. I just use the same low-profile stainless elbows I wear when
            > fighting.

          • Aaron Gormanshaw
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 18, 2011
              I have some mousepads now that are 1/8" thick that you can give a try

              Hoskuld