elbow protection

    Message 1 of 8 , Jul 16 9:03 AM
      I need elbow protection for cut & thrust rapier, at a minimum padding,
      but some rigid would be good too. I've just checked out all the
      hockey elbows at Canadian Tire and I'm not satisfied with any of them.
      They are bulkier than I need. I do like that there are multiple
      straps, so I could probably ignore the one right across the inside of
      the elbow and use the straps above and below the elbow.

      What other kinds of elbow protection should I look for? Lacrosse
      comes to mind, but are there others? Any stores that I should look
      at? I couldn't find anything lacrosse oriented at CT, but there
      weren't enough staff on hand to be helpful either.

      Eyrny
    • boothct@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jul 16 9:06 AM
        Hey,

        I have been using bike/roller blade pads for knees and elbows.

        That is my two cents.

        Tadc
        Sent from my BlackBerry® smartphone
      • Aaron Miedema
        Message 3 of 8 , Jul 16 9:16 AM
          I use $5 Walmart foam gardening knee pads. They do in a pinch.

          On Sat, Jul 16, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw <kgormanshaw@...
          > wrote:

          > **
          >

          > I need elbow protection for cut & thrust rapier, at a minimum padding,
          > but some rigid would be good too. I've just checked out all the
          > hockey elbows at Canadian Tire and I'm not satisfied with any of them.
          > They are bulkier than I need. I do like that there are multiple
          > straps, so I could probably ignore the one right across the inside of
          > the elbow and use the straps above and below the elbow.
          >
          > What other kinds of elbow protection should I look for? Lacrosse
          > comes to mind, but are there others? Any stores that I should look
          > at? I couldn't find anything lacrosse oriented at CT, but there
          > weren't enough staff on hand to be helpful either.

        • steveb1
          Message 4 of 8 , Jul 16 9:58 AM
            Have you considered talking to your local armourer?

            Gerhard

            On 16/07/2011 12:03 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw wrote:
            > I need elbow protection for cut& thrust rapier, at a minimum padding,
            > but some rigid would be good too. I've just checked out all the
            > hockey elbows at Canadian Tire and I'm not satisfied with any of them.
            > They are bulkier than I need. I do like that there are multiple
            > straps, so I could probably ignore the one right across the inside of
            > the elbow and use the straps above and below the elbow.
            >
            > What other kinds of elbow protection should I look for? Lacrosse
            > comes to mind, but are there others? Any stores that I should look
            > at? I couldn't find anything lacrosse oriented at CT, but there
            > weren't enough staff on hand to be helpful either.
            >
            > Eyrny

            __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 6299 (20110716) __________

            http://www.eset.com
          • L. Tremblay
            Message 5 of 8 , Jul 16 11:19 AM
              Indeed. I just use the same low-profile stainless elbows I wear when
              fighting.

              Lars

              Message 6 of 8 , Jul 16 12:47 PM
                I've tried a couple different versions of basic elbow cups, but I hate
                having a single strap going across the inside of my elbow, and I'm
                having very bad luck getting them to stay in place and be comfortable.
                At Gulf Wars I proved why it's a good idea to have the armour,
                unfortunately it had fallen out of position and didn't do it's job.

                I'm hoping for something modern I can try on, and even return if it
                doesn't work out.

                Eyrny

                Message 7 of 8 , Jul 17 1:24 PM
                  I use a pair of hard over soft elbows for skateboarding/roller bladeing.
                  The'yre nice and not to intrusive and have a double set of straps. I also
                  use a pair of stainless elbows I inherited from Hoskuld, but I haven't quite
                  got the padding down right yet. I find close cell foam a bit too thick and
                  cloth padding not padding enough.

                  <mailto:lrt512%40sympatico.ca> > wrote:
                  > Indeed. I just use the same low-profile stainless elbows I wear when
                  > fighting.

                • Aaron Gormanshaw
                  Message 8 of 8 , Jul 18 8:45 AM
                    I have some mousepads now that are 1/8" thick that you can give a try

                    Hoskuld