Fwd: Darkwood Longsword / Confused

    Message 1 of 3 , May 27 5:17 AM
      Hmmm I was under the impression that the blade blanks were cut then
      milled, as in using a milling machine wherein cutting fluid keeps the
      metal from over heating. Hmmmmm and hmmmmm !!

      Message 2 of 3 , May 27 7:12 AM
        It seems probable that whatever process Darkwood uses for shaping the
        blanks, they are doing something to prevent the temper from being
        altered.

        --g

        On Fri, May 27, 2011 at 8:17 AM, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@...> wrote:
        > Hmmm I was under the impression that the blade blanks were cut then
        > milled, as in using a milling machine wherein cutting fluid keeps the
        > metal from over heating. Hmmmmm and hmmmmm !!
        >
        >> From Gerrard: Darkwood is allowed to grind the blade, yet our rules
        >> say we cant ...???
        >>
        >>>Also, I was talking to Darkwood today, and they can easily alter the
        >>>stiffness of a blade by the grinding process, which means that if you wanted
        >>>a longsword blade that was a bit stiffer than mine (mine is the regular
        >>>stiffness), they can easily do that.  Any additional longsword blades that I
        >>>order for myself will be stiffer than my existing one.
        >>>
        >>>Hoskuld

      • Aaron Gormanshaw
        Message 3 of 3 , May 27 7:35 AM
          I am sure that Darkwood is doing it in the correct & proper manner. I am
          not the person who has set up their manufacturing process.

          The word they used was "grinding".