Darkwood Longsword and other blades

  • L. Tremblay
    Message 1 of 6 , May 25, 2011
      Hey everyone, small update on blade types.

      I was asked about the Darkwood longsword blades (DA4LT). Here's the scoop:

      "Darkwood went a slightly different track with getting the blades
      approved, and got the sword blanks approved instead of an individual
      blade. So, the DA4 blades are listed under #7-straight in appendix 5.
      Made life a lot easier for Brian, since he can just knock out a
      variety of blades put together from a blank of the appropriate
      type/size, and go from there. No need to worry about individual model"
      numbers.

      I may have to get one myself.

      There's still no word on the Hanwei Tinker blades, or the Hanwei
      Practical Knightly/Norman/Viking blades. I'll let you know when I find out.

      Lars
      Message 2 of 6 , May 26, 2011
        Thank you very much Lars, for clarifying this. I was pretty sure it was ok
        but I just wanted to double check.

        As much as I think the Hanwei practical blades are neat I don't think I'd
        want to see them on the field. I've used them outside the SCA through
        Blackthorn Productions and they are very stiff. I've been hit by these at
        roughly half speed while wearing a mail hauberk over a gambeson and I felt
        it. I was surprised when the practical hand and a half passed but I guess it
        is a bit more flexible due to the length of the blade. Imagine the possible
        scenario of someone with a T03 from Zen Warrior coming up against someone
        with a Hanwei Practical sword. Both would be usable for C&T. I think the
        Hanwei could do a lot of damage to a blade like a T03, possibly even break
        it.

        Message 3 of 6 , May 26, 2011
          Albrecht,

          I am careful to match the Darkwood longsword blades only against each other,
          since the size & weight would do significant damage to a lighter blade -
          that's why I carry two of them.

          Also, I was talking to Darkwood today, and they can easily alter the
          stiffness of a blade by the grinding process, which means that if you wanted
          a longsword blade that was a bit stiffer than mine (mine is the regular
          stiffness), they can easily do that. Any additional longsword blades that I
          order for myself will be stiffer than my existing one.

          Hoskuld

          Message 4 of 6 , May 26, 2011
            And I appreciate that. We'd have to do something similar if the Hanwei
            Practical blades were approved. It may come to the point where we have to
            have dual-purpose blades used only against other dual-purpose blades and C&T
            only vs. C&T only.

            Message 5 of 6 , May 26, 2011
              From Gerrard: Darkwood is allowed to grind the blade, yet our rules
              say we cant ...???

              >Also, I was talking to Darkwood today, and they can easily alter the
              >stiffness of a blade by the grinding process, which means that if you wanted
              >a longsword blade that was a bit stiffer than mine (mine is the regular
              >stiffness), they can easily do that. Any additional longsword blades that I
              >order for myself will be stiffer than my existing one.
              >
              >Hoskuld
            • Aaron Gormanshaw
              Message 6 of 6 , May 27, 2011
                Darkwood MAKES the blades - they are cut out & ground to shape...