Re: St. Val Day R.M. I.C. ??

  • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 22, 2011
      So..... at massacre it's going to be Hammer Time? :P

      I'll enjoy my usual amount of dying and slashing... mostly dying.... and probably drinking, but I'm just guessing here.

      Yoshi

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 25, 2011
        Hi All,

        Yes, I'll be running the tourney although since we have a whole
        weekend, I'm sure we can run more than one.

        The planned Tournament uses a format inspired by King/Champion (here
        called King/Challenger) rules used in the Belgian fencing guilds at
        least as early as 1600 AD. I'm stealing it from the tournaments run at
        the Longpoint 2011 WMA event I was at last weekend. It is an
        interesting variant on a bear pit.

        Fighters will be assigned “lots” (position in line) based on something
        I have yet to decide. It might be random, it might be related to
        precedence or it might be for the top players in a preliminary round.
        I've not decided.

        The fighter with the #1 lot is the first “king.” The #2 fighter is
        the first “challenger.” The winner of that bout remains/becomes the
        King for the next bout. The loser goes to the end of the line and
        loses one
        venny. This process continues with the bout-final king always
        remaining in the ring and the loser going to the end of the line. When
        a fighter has expended all of his vennies he is eliminated from the
        tournament.

        So, what's a venny? It's basically a life. Each fighter starts with
        two (2) vennies. Any fighter to remain King for four (4) consecutive
        bouts or longer receives an additional venny. Up to two (2) additional
        vennies total, per fighter, may be earned in this way. No fighter will
        have more than four (4) vennies (do the math).

        Winner of the Tournament. The winner of the final bout (between the
        last remaining Challenger and the King) is the winner of the
        tournament. The loser of the final bout is second place. The loser of
        the second-to-last bout is third place. So you can see that it is very
        adventageous to be in that last spot. If, for example, no one manages
        to get an extra Venny, the person is the last spot is guaranteed
        second place.

        Traditionally, the initial order was based on some sort of ranking.
        Given that we want people to be able to fence a lot, the order for
        this will probably be determined by some initial round robin type
        thing and perhaps your starting Vennys will be based on your abilities
        as a fencer so Gerrard and Eyrny would only get 1 Venny and a bad
        fencer such as myself should probably have 3 or more to keep things
        fair.

        --Giovanni

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 25, 2011
          sounds like fun!

          Jocelyn
          --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:

> [...]
          > as a fencer so Gerrard and Eyrny would only get 1 Venny and a bad
          > fencer such as myself should probably have 3 or more to keep things
          > fair.
          >
          > --Giovanni
          >
          > On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Kurushima Yoshiatsu
          > <locusthellion@...> wrote:
          > > So.....  at massacre it's going to be Hammer Time? :P
          > >
          > > I'll enjoy my usual amount of dying and slashing... mostly dying....  and probably drinking, but I'm just guessing here.
          > >
          > > Yoshi
          > >
          > > --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@> wrote:
          > >>
          > >> Dearest sweet young woman ...!
          > >> Hmmm and double hmmm. It appears as though Eryny and Giovanii have
          > >> taken the gauntlet so to speak ..
          > >> However I am puzzled... If your the M.I.C then why did they need Hammers ..??
          > >>
          > >> I am camping . Several of us M&M's and associated type folks will be

        • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
          Message 4 of 22 , Feb 1, 2011
            I'd like to thank the fencers that made it out to Coeur de Glace this past weekend. I think that Bastille du Lac has a good thing going, and I highly recomend that all of you give serious thought to going next year. I've already offered to be the RMiC for next year. The format was great, fun was had by all. :)

            Yoshi

            --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, David Biggs <davidabiggs@...> wrote:

            > What can anyone tell me about this event? I can find nothing about it online.
            > dab/aeron harper

          • David Biggs
            Message 5 of 22 , Feb 1, 2011
              Indeed! Good people and great fun! I'll be there next year.
              dab/aeron