Re: Tournoi du Couer de Glace?

  • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 16, 2011
      I can tell you that I am the RMiC... and that's as much as I know. lol I encourage everyone to go, it sounds like it's going to be a great event!

      Yoshi

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 16, 2011
        From Gerrard:
        Please check your fencing cards often ! Expiry dates have a way of
        sneaking up on you !!

        I shall be attending:

        Fri - Feb 11 -- Sun - Feb 13
        Saint Valentine's Day Massacre II
        Hosted by the Incipient Canton of Swan's Keep (Barrie, ON)

        Sat - Mar 05
        Winter War XIII
        Hosted by the Shire of Trinovantia Nova (St. Thomas, ON)

        Sat - Apr 16
        Spring Coronation
        Hosted by the Canton of Eoforwic (Ajax, ON)

        Sat - May 07
        Lady Mary
        Hosted by the Barony of Rising Waters (Smithville, Ont)

        Sat - May 14
        Youth In Charge
        Hosted by the Shire of Trinovantia Nova (London, ON)

        Fri - May 20 -- Mon - May 23
        Fruits of our Labours IV
        Hosted by the Canton of Bryniau Tywwnog (Ayr,)

        Others T.B.D.

        Or ...!!
        Get your fencing stuff tested. The card would be good for two years. so...
        Fencing armour drop tester tested // body armour and hood // Mask
        tested using mask tester.
        Fill out form Legibly.

        Then simply mail the form to me. Plus your card so it can be stamped !!

        Include a self addressed stamped envelope. So I can return your new
        card / revised card.

        If your card has expired you will have to do the above and
        re-authorize. Dems da rules...!

        Send to:

        Gerry Dowswell
        320 Bright St
        Sarnia On.
        N7T 4G2

        thltoymaker@...
      • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 17, 2011
          Glad to see you'll be at Massacre... it's an appropriate name for what might happen to you there. :P

          Yoshi

          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 17, 2011
            Best out of 10 ...??? Loser buys the winner a beer !!

            Ohh I hope they have James ready its my fave !! ;-)

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 18, 2011
              Greetings from Gerrard:
              One of our newest fencers ordered an Econo Guard chest protector E 10B.
              While she is very petite this guard did not fit her properly.
              To return it costs as much as ordering a new one.

              So are there any very petite female fencers seeking plastic chest
              protection ( New ) for $40 ?? ( Her cost )
              Thanks .... just trying to keep abreast of the situation. Keeping
              things fully in hand. hmmm inside voice right ..??
            • Ross Weaver
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 18, 2011
                I do not know of anyone that nees one. But I can share the tip the I
                collected years ago at Pennsic during a rapier armour discussion. A
                number of women felt that the typical chest protectors did not suit
                our game well. But a cheap heavily padded (the ones that are like 1/2
                inch thick of foam) work quite well as chest protection.

                ~Wilhelm

                --
                Sent from my mobile device
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 18, 2011

                  > So are there any very petite female fencers seeking plastic chest

                  You could look for a local fencing club with teenagers too.

                  Eyrny
                • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 19, 2011
                    I'll take that bet! LOL

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 20, 2011
                      Hello All,

                      Last chance to confirm or announce intent to do prize fights at Winter War!

                      I've no one listed and will be sending my add to the Tidings Monday.

                      Again, if you desire to do a prize fight at Winter War you must let me know no later then Monday.

                      Yours truly,
                      YVonne Rogers

                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 20, 2011
                        Just wondering whom the Rapier Marshal in Charge of St. Valentines
                        Massacre is ?
                        All I know is that the " Hammers " were asked to assist.

                        If no one wants it ,I'll take it.
                        Except I shall need a separate Marshall for the Kill Yoshi tourney
                        of which I get the first ten bouts !!
                        I have a few fresh Ideas I wouldn't mind trying.
                      • April Lognon
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 21, 2011
                          Actually I am the MIC for Fencing. I was told the 'Hammers' were running
                          the show and I was a just in case.

                          Whatever you want to do is fine by me. We can discuss a plan. I am open to
                          ideas, as you know.

                          Are you camping at the event? Would a phone conversation be easier? Let
                          me know and we can set a time for me to call you?

                          Cheers
                          Robyn/April

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 21, 2011
                            On the Hammer list, Giovanni stepped forward to be Marshal in Charge,
                            and it sounds like we'll have lots of back-up and help in case of poor
                            travelling conditions or other emergencies.

                            Eyrny

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 21, 2011
                              Dearest sweet young woman ...!
                              Hmmm and double hmmm. It appears as though Eryny and Giovanii have
                              taken the gauntlet so to speak ..
                              However I am puzzled... If your the M.I.C then why did they need Hammers ..??

                              I am camping . Several of us M&M's and associated type folks will be
                              attending. ( camping )

                              At 07:24 AM 1/21/2011, you wrote:
                              >Actually I am the MIC for Fencing. I was told the 'Hammers' were running
                              >the show and I was a just in case.
                              >
                              >Whatever you want to do is fine by me. We can discuss a plan. I am open to
                              >ideas, as you know.
                              >
                              > Are you camping at the event? Would a phone conversation be easier? Let
                              >me know and we can set a time for me to call you?
                              >
                              >Cheers
                              >Robyn/April
                            • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 22, 2011
                                So..... at massacre it's going to be Hammer Time? :P

                                I'll enjoy my usual amount of dying and slashing... mostly dying.... and probably drinking, but I'm just guessing here.

                                Yoshi

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 25, 2011
                                  Hi All,

                                  Yes, I'll be running the tourney although since we have a whole
                                  weekend, I'm sure we can run more than one.

                                  The planned Tournament uses a format inspired by King/Champion (here
                                  called King/Challenger) rules used in the Belgian fencing guilds at
                                  least as early as 1600 AD. I'm stealing it from the tournaments run at
                                  the Longpoint 2011 WMA event I was at last weekend. It is an
                                  interesting variant on a bear pit.

                                  Fighters will be assigned “lots” (position in line) based on something
                                  I have yet to decide. It might be random, it might be related to
                                  precedence or it might be for the top players in a preliminary round.
                                  I've not decided.

                                  The fighter with the #1 lot is the first “king.” The #2 fighter is
                                  the first “challenger.” The winner of that bout remains/becomes the
                                  King for the next bout. The loser goes to the end of the line and
                                  loses one
                                  venny. This process continues with the bout-final king always
                                  remaining in the ring and the loser going to the end of the line. When
                                  a fighter has expended all of his vennies he is eliminated from the
                                  tournament.

                                  So, what's a venny? It's basically a life. Each fighter starts with
                                  two (2) vennies. Any fighter to remain King for four (4) consecutive
                                  bouts or longer receives an additional venny. Up to two (2) additional
                                  vennies total, per fighter, may be earned in this way. No fighter will
                                  have more than four (4) vennies (do the math).

                                  Winner of the Tournament. The winner of the final bout (between the
                                  last remaining Challenger and the King) is the winner of the
                                  tournament. The loser of the final bout is second place. The loser of
                                  the second-to-last bout is third place. So you can see that it is very
                                  adventageous to be in that last spot. If, for example, no one manages
                                  to get an extra Venny, the person is the last spot is guaranteed
                                  second place.

                                  Traditionally, the initial order was based on some sort of ranking.
                                  Given that we want people to be able to fence a lot, the order for
                                  this will probably be determined by some initial round robin type
                                  thing and perhaps your starting Vennys will be based on your abilities
                                  as a fencer so Gerrard and Eyrny would only get 1 Venny and a bad
                                  fencer such as myself should probably have 3 or more to keep things
                                  fair.

                                  --Giovanni

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 25, 2011
                                    sounds like fun!

                                    Jocelyn
                                    --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                    > as a fencer so Gerrard and Eyrny would only get 1 Venny and a bad
                                    > fencer such as myself should probably have 3 or more to keep things
                                    > fair.
                                    >
                                    > --Giovanni
                                    >
                                    > On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                                    > <locusthellion@...> wrote:
                                    > > So.....  at massacre it's going to be Hammer Time? :P
                                    > >
                                    > > I'll enjoy my usual amount of dying and slashing... mostly dying....  and probably drinking, but I'm just guessing here.
                                    > >
                                    > > Yoshi
                                    > >
                                    > > --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@> wrote:
                                    > >>
                                    > >> Dearest sweet young woman ...!
                                    > >> Hmmm and double hmmm. It appears as though Eryny and Giovanii have
                                    > >> taken the gauntlet so to speak ..
                                    > >> However I am puzzled... If your the M.I.C then why did they need Hammers ..??
                                    > >>
                                    > >> I am camping . Several of us M&M's and associated type folks will be

                                  • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Feb 1, 2011
                                      I'd like to thank the fencers that made it out to Coeur de Glace this past weekend. I think that Bastille du Lac has a good thing going, and I highly recomend that all of you give serious thought to going next year. I've already offered to be the RMiC for next year. The format was great, fun was had by all. :)

                                      Yoshi

                                      --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, David Biggs <davidabiggs@...> wrote:

                                      > What can anyone tell me about this event? I can find nothing about it online.
                                      > dab/aeron harper

                                    • David Biggs
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Feb 1, 2011
                                        Indeed! Good people and great fun! I'll be there next year.
                                        dab/aeron