Tournoi du Couer de Glace?

  • David Biggs
    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 9, 2011
      What can anyone tell me about this event? I can find nothing about it online.
      dab/aeron harper

      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 10, 2011
        RE: [Ealdormere] Tournoi du Couer de Glace?

        The Incepient Shire of
        Bastille Du Lac Presents

        Tournoi du Couer deGlace

        Sponsored by the Canton of
        Petra Thule

        January 29, 2011

        The Shire of Bastille du Lac
        would like to invite all fighters and fencers to compete in the first tournament
        of the year!

        The day will begin with a
        procession of fighters and consorts. If
        you do not have a consort please do not worry, feel free to fight for your King,
        Queen, Prince, Princess, Baron, Baroness, Family, or Friends.
        The tournament will
        alternate between fencing and fighting.

        A shield tree will be in
        use to track the tournament
        This is a chance to highlight all forms of
        marshal prowess in Ealdormere. Bear pits will follow the main tournament time
        permitting.

        Please be advised that
        great weapons might be limited due to ceiling height.

        There will be prizes
        provided to the First, Second, and third place competitors for both the heavy
        fighters and the fencers.

        Weather and Marshal
        Permitting there will also be outdoor Archery available.

        There will be a feast for
        40 by Mistress Ragni Dzintara of Amberhall

        Ruta
        Mulberger

        Site Fees $10.00 plus KET
        $1.00
        Children half price

        Babes in arms free

        Non Member Surcharge $5.00

        Feast Fee: $15.00

        Please make cheques
        Payable to Petra Thule

        Site opens at 10am and
        closes at 11pm

        Event Stewart and Feast
        Reservations:

        Amelius Cladius Rattanicus

        Chris Bragg

        22 Old Cheese
        Factory Rd.

        Belleville ON.

        K8N 4Z7

        (613)217-8838

        Email bragg_chris@...

        Site Location: Belleville
        Fish and Game Club

        170 Elmwood Drive

        Belleville, Ontario

        K8N 4Z4

        Directions from the east
        and west

        Take 401 towards
        Belleville exit at Shannonville Rd. (Shannonville rd. Is located between
        Belleville and Napanee)

        Turn South for 1km to
        Airport Parkway

        Turn right (west) on
        Airport Parkway

        Follow Airport Parkway for
        5km to Elmwood Dr.

        Site is half way down
        Elmwood Drive on Left

        Signs will be posted

        --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, David Biggs <davidabiggs@...> wrote:

        > What can anyone tell me about this event? I can find nothing about it online.
        > dab/aeron harper

      • David Biggs
        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 10, 2011
          Thanks!
          Any idea when the tournaments will start?
          dab

        • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 16, 2011
            I can tell you that I am the RMiC... and that's as much as I know. lol I encourage everyone to go, it sounds like it's going to be a great event!

            Yoshi

            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 16, 2011
              From Gerrard:
              Please check your fencing cards often ! Expiry dates have a way of
              sneaking up on you !!

              I shall be attending:

              Fri - Feb 11 -- Sun - Feb 13
              Saint Valentine's Day Massacre II
              Hosted by the Incipient Canton of Swan's Keep (Barrie, ON)

              Sat - Mar 05
              Winter War XIII
              Hosted by the Shire of Trinovantia Nova (St. Thomas, ON)

              Sat - Apr 16
              Spring Coronation
              Hosted by the Canton of Eoforwic (Ajax, ON)

              Sat - May 07
              Lady Mary
              Hosted by the Barony of Rising Waters (Smithville, Ont)

              Sat - May 14
              Youth In Charge
              Hosted by the Shire of Trinovantia Nova (London, ON)

              Fri - May 20 -- Mon - May 23
              Fruits of our Labours IV
              Hosted by the Canton of Bryniau Tywwnog (Ayr,)

              Others T.B.D.

              Or ...!!
              Get your fencing stuff tested. The card would be good for two years. so...
              Fencing armour drop tester tested // body armour and hood // Mask
              tested using mask tester.
              Fill out form Legibly.

              Then simply mail the form to me. Plus your card so it can be stamped !!

              Include a self addressed stamped envelope. So I can return your new
              card / revised card.

              If your card has expired you will have to do the above and
              re-authorize. Dems da rules...!

              Send to:

              Gerry Dowswell
              320 Bright St
              Sarnia On.
              N7T 4G2

              thltoymaker@...
            • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 17, 2011
                Glad to see you'll be at Massacre... it's an appropriate name for what might happen to you there. :P

                Yoshi

                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 17, 2011
                  Best out of 10 ...??? Loser buys the winner a beer !!

                  Ohh I hope they have James ready its my fave !! ;-)

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 18, 2011
                    Greetings from Gerrard:
                    One of our newest fencers ordered an Econo Guard chest protector E 10B.
                    While she is very petite this guard did not fit her properly.
                    To return it costs as much as ordering a new one.

                    So are there any very petite female fencers seeking plastic chest
                    protection ( New ) for $40 ?? ( Her cost )
                    Thanks .... just trying to keep abreast of the situation. Keeping
                    things fully in hand. hmmm inside voice right ..??
                  • Ross Weaver
                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 18, 2011
                      I do not know of anyone that nees one. But I can share the tip the I
                      collected years ago at Pennsic during a rapier armour discussion. A
                      number of women felt that the typical chest protectors did not suit
                      our game well. But a cheap heavily padded (the ones that are like 1/2
                      inch thick of foam) work quite well as chest protection.

                      ~Wilhelm

                      --
                      Sent from my mobile device
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 18, 2011

                        > So are there any very petite female fencers seeking plastic chest

                        You could look for a local fencing club with teenagers too.

                        Eyrny
                      • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 19, 2011
                          I'll take that bet! LOL

                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 20, 2011
                            Hello All,

                            Last chance to confirm or announce intent to do prize fights at Winter War!

                            I've no one listed and will be sending my add to the Tidings Monday.

                            Again, if you desire to do a prize fight at Winter War you must let me know no later then Monday.

                            Yours truly,
                            YVonne Rogers

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 20, 2011
                              Just wondering whom the Rapier Marshal in Charge of St. Valentines
                              Massacre is ?
                              All I know is that the " Hammers " were asked to assist.

                              If no one wants it ,I'll take it.
                              Except I shall need a separate Marshall for the Kill Yoshi tourney
                              of which I get the first ten bouts !!
                              I have a few fresh Ideas I wouldn't mind trying.
                            • April Lognon
                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 21, 2011
                                Actually I am the MIC for Fencing. I was told the 'Hammers' were running
                                the show and I was a just in case.

                                Whatever you want to do is fine by me. We can discuss a plan. I am open to
                                ideas, as you know.

                                Are you camping at the event? Would a phone conversation be easier? Let
                                me know and we can set a time for me to call you?

                                Cheers
                                Robyn/April

                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 21, 2011
                                  On the Hammer list, Giovanni stepped forward to be Marshal in Charge,
                                  and it sounds like we'll have lots of back-up and help in case of poor
                                  travelling conditions or other emergencies.

                                  Eyrny

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 21, 2011
                                    Dearest sweet young woman ...!
                                    Hmmm and double hmmm. It appears as though Eryny and Giovanii have
                                    taken the gauntlet so to speak ..
                                    However I am puzzled... If your the M.I.C then why did they need Hammers ..??

                                    I am camping . Several of us M&M's and associated type folks will be
                                    attending. ( camping )

                                    At 07:24 AM 1/21/2011, you wrote:
                                    >Actually I am the MIC for Fencing. I was told the 'Hammers' were running
                                    >the show and I was a just in case.
                                    >
                                    >Whatever you want to do is fine by me. We can discuss a plan. I am open to
                                    >ideas, as you know.
                                    >
                                    > Are you camping at the event? Would a phone conversation be easier? Let
                                    >me know and we can set a time for me to call you?
                                    >
                                    >Cheers
                                    >Robyn/April
                                  • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 22, 2011
                                      So..... at massacre it's going to be Hammer Time? :P

                                      I'll enjoy my usual amount of dying and slashing... mostly dying.... and probably drinking, but I'm just guessing here.

                                      Yoshi

                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 25, 2011
                                        Hi All,

                                        Yes, I'll be running the tourney although since we have a whole
                                        weekend, I'm sure we can run more than one.

                                        The planned Tournament uses a format inspired by King/Champion (here
                                        called King/Challenger) rules used in the Belgian fencing guilds at
                                        least as early as 1600 AD. I'm stealing it from the tournaments run at
                                        the Longpoint 2011 WMA event I was at last weekend. It is an
                                        interesting variant on a bear pit.

                                        Fighters will be assigned “lots” (position in line) based on something
                                        I have yet to decide. It might be random, it might be related to
                                        precedence or it might be for the top players in a preliminary round.
                                        I've not decided.

                                        The fighter with the #1 lot is the first “king.” The #2 fighter is
                                        the first “challenger.” The winner of that bout remains/becomes the
                                        King for the next bout. The loser goes to the end of the line and
                                        loses one
                                        venny. This process continues with the bout-final king always
                                        remaining in the ring and the loser going to the end of the line. When
                                        a fighter has expended all of his vennies he is eliminated from the
                                        tournament.

                                        So, what's a venny? It's basically a life. Each fighter starts with
                                        two (2) vennies. Any fighter to remain King for four (4) consecutive
                                        bouts or longer receives an additional venny. Up to two (2) additional
                                        vennies total, per fighter, may be earned in this way. No fighter will
                                        have more than four (4) vennies (do the math).

                                        Winner of the Tournament. The winner of the final bout (between the
                                        last remaining Challenger and the King) is the winner of the
                                        tournament. The loser of the final bout is second place. The loser of
                                        the second-to-last bout is third place. So you can see that it is very
                                        adventageous to be in that last spot. If, for example, no one manages
                                        to get an extra Venny, the person is the last spot is guaranteed
                                        second place.

                                        Traditionally, the initial order was based on some sort of ranking.
                                        Given that we want people to be able to fence a lot, the order for
                                        this will probably be determined by some initial round robin type
                                        thing and perhaps your starting Vennys will be based on your abilities
                                        as a fencer so Gerrard and Eyrny would only get 1 Venny and a bad
                                        fencer such as myself should probably have 3 or more to keep things
                                        fair.

                                        --Giovanni

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 25, 2011
                                          sounds like fun!

                                          Jocelyn
                                          --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                          > as a fencer so Gerrard and Eyrny would only get 1 Venny and a bad
                                          > fencer such as myself should probably have 3 or more to keep things
                                          > fair.
                                          >
                                          > --Giovanni
                                          >
                                          > On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                                          > <locusthellion@...> wrote:
                                          > > So.....  at massacre it's going to be Hammer Time? :P
                                          > >
                                          > > I'll enjoy my usual amount of dying and slashing... mostly dying....  and probably drinking, but I'm just guessing here.
                                          > >
                                          > > Yoshi
                                          > >
                                          > > --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@> wrote:
                                          > >>
                                          > >> Dearest sweet young woman ...!
                                          > >> Hmmm and double hmmm. It appears as though Eryny and Giovanii have
                                          > >> taken the gauntlet so to speak ..
                                          > >> However I am puzzled... If your the M.I.C then why did they need Hammers ..??
                                          > >>
                                          > >> I am camping . Several of us M&M's and associated type folks will be

                                        • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                                          Message 20 of 22 , Feb 1, 2011
                                            I'd like to thank the fencers that made it out to Coeur de Glace this past weekend. I think that Bastille du Lac has a good thing going, and I highly recomend that all of you give serious thought to going next year. I've already offered to be the RMiC for next year. The format was great, fun was had by all. :)

                                            Yoshi

                                            --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, David Biggs <davidabiggs@...> wrote:

                                            > What can anyone tell me about this event? I can find nothing about it online.
                                            > dab/aeron harper

                                          • David Biggs
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 1, 2011
                                              Indeed! Good people and great fun! I'll be there next year.
                                              dab/aeron