EAOD PRIZE FIGHTS

    Message 1 of 22 , Jan 1, 2011
      Good Gentles,

      Just a reminder to those who wish to do prize fights, you must have the intent to do so published in the Kingdom Tidings.

      For example, if you wish to fight a prize at Winter War in March, you must have the intent to do so published in either the Feb or Mar '11 Tidings.

      Please email me you name (SCA and Mundane) and the event on which you'd like to do your prize fight.

      Yours truly,
      Jocleyn/Yvonne
    • David Biggs
      Message 2 of 22 , Jan 9, 2011
        What can anyone tell me about this event? I can find nothing about it online.
        dab/aeron harper

        Message 3 of 22 , Jan 10, 2011
          RE: [Ealdormere] Tournoi du Couer de Glace?

          The Incepient Shire of
          Bastille Du Lac Presents

          Tournoi du Couer deGlace

          Sponsored by the Canton of
          Petra Thule

          January 29, 2011

          The Shire of Bastille du Lac
          would like to invite all fighters and fencers to compete in the first tournament
          of the year!

          The day will begin with a
          procession of fighters and consorts. If
          you do not have a consort please do not worry, feel free to fight for your King,
          Queen, Prince, Princess, Baron, Baroness, Family, or Friends.
          The tournament will
          alternate between fencing and fighting.

          A shield tree will be in
          use to track the tournament
          This is a chance to highlight all forms of
          marshal prowess in Ealdormere. Bear pits will follow the main tournament time
          permitting.

          Please be advised that
          great weapons might be limited due to ceiling height.

          There will be prizes
          provided to the First, Second, and third place competitors for both the heavy
          fighters and the fencers.

          Weather and Marshal
          Permitting there will also be outdoor Archery available.

          There will be a feast for
          40 by Mistress Ragni Dzintara of Amberhall

          Ruta
          Mulberger

          Site Fees $10.00 plus KET
          $1.00
          Children half price

          Babes in arms free

          Non Member Surcharge $5.00

          Feast Fee: $15.00

          Please make cheques
          Payable to Petra Thule

          Site opens at 10am and
          closes at 11pm

          Event Stewart and Feast
          Reservations:

          Amelius Cladius Rattanicus

          Chris Bragg

          22 Old Cheese
          Factory Rd.

          Belleville ON.

          K8N 4Z7

          (613)217-8838

          Email bragg_chris@...

          Site Location: Belleville
          Fish and Game Club

          170 Elmwood Drive

          Belleville, Ontario

          K8N 4Z4

          Directions from the east
          and west

          Take 401 towards
          Belleville exit at Shannonville Rd. (Shannonville rd. Is located between
          Belleville and Napanee)

          Turn South for 1km to
          Airport Parkway

          Turn right (west) on
          Airport Parkway

          Follow Airport Parkway for
          5km to Elmwood Dr.

          Site is half way down
          Elmwood Drive on Left

          Signs will be posted

          --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, David Biggs <davidabiggs@...> wrote:

          > What can anyone tell me about this event? I can find nothing about it online.
          > dab/aeron harper

        • David Biggs
          Message 4 of 22 , Jan 10, 2011
            Thanks!
            Any idea when the tournaments will start?
            dab

          • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
            Message 5 of 22 , Jan 16, 2011
              I can tell you that I am the RMiC... and that's as much as I know. lol I encourage everyone to go, it sounds like it's going to be a great event!

              Yoshi

              Message 6 of 22 , Jan 16, 2011
                From Gerrard:
                Please check your fencing cards often ! Expiry dates have a way of
                sneaking up on you !!

                I shall be attending:

                Fri - Feb 11 -- Sun - Feb 13
                Saint Valentine's Day Massacre II
                Hosted by the Incipient Canton of Swan's Keep (Barrie, ON)

                Sat - Mar 05
                Winter War XIII
                Hosted by the Shire of Trinovantia Nova (St. Thomas, ON)

                Sat - Apr 16
                Spring Coronation
                Hosted by the Canton of Eoforwic (Ajax, ON)

                Sat - May 07
                Lady Mary
                Hosted by the Barony of Rising Waters (Smithville, Ont)

                Sat - May 14
                Youth In Charge
                Hosted by the Shire of Trinovantia Nova (London, ON)

                Fri - May 20 -- Mon - May 23
                Fruits of our Labours IV
                Hosted by the Canton of Bryniau Tywwnog (Ayr,)

                Others T.B.D.

                Or ...!!
                Get your fencing stuff tested. The card would be good for two years. so...
                Fencing armour drop tester tested // body armour and hood // Mask
                tested using mask tester.
                Fill out form Legibly.

                Then simply mail the form to me. Plus your card so it can be stamped !!

                Include a self addressed stamped envelope. So I can return your new
                card / revised card.

                If your card has expired you will have to do the above and
                re-authorize. Dems da rules...!

                Send to:

                Gerry Dowswell
                320 Bright St
                Sarnia On.
                N7T 4G2

                thltoymaker@...
              • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                Message 7 of 22 , Jan 17, 2011
                  Glad to see you'll be at Massacre... it's an appropriate name for what might happen to you there. :P

                  Yoshi

                  Message 8 of 22 , Jan 17, 2011
                    Best out of 10 ...??? Loser buys the winner a beer !!

                    Ohh I hope they have James ready its my fave !! ;-)

                    Message 9 of 22 , Jan 18, 2011
                      Greetings from Gerrard:
                      One of our newest fencers ordered an Econo Guard chest protector E 10B.
                      While she is very petite this guard did not fit her properly.
                      To return it costs as much as ordering a new one.

                      So are there any very petite female fencers seeking plastic chest
                      protection ( New ) for $40 ?? ( Her cost )
                      Thanks .... just trying to keep abreast of the situation. Keeping
                      things fully in hand. hmmm inside voice right ..??
                    • Ross Weaver
                      Message 10 of 22 , Jan 18, 2011
                        I do not know of anyone that nees one. But I can share the tip the I
                        collected years ago at Pennsic during a rapier armour discussion. A
                        number of women felt that the typical chest protectors did not suit
                        our game well. But a cheap heavily padded (the ones that are like 1/2
                        inch thick of foam) work quite well as chest protection.

                        ~Wilhelm

                        --
                        Sent from my mobile device
                        Message 11 of 22 , Jan 18, 2011

                          > So are there any very petite female fencers seeking plastic chest

                          You could look for a local fencing club with teenagers too.

                          Eyrny
                        • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                          Message 12 of 22 , Jan 19, 2011
                            I'll take that bet! LOL

                            Message 13 of 22 , Jan 20, 2011
                              Hello All,

                              Last chance to confirm or announce intent to do prize fights at Winter War!

                              I've no one listed and will be sending my add to the Tidings Monday.

                              Again, if you desire to do a prize fight at Winter War you must let me know no later then Monday.

                              Yours truly,
                              YVonne Rogers

                              Message 14 of 22 , Jan 20, 2011
                                Just wondering whom the Rapier Marshal in Charge of St. Valentines
                                Massacre is ?
                                All I know is that the " Hammers " were asked to assist.

                                If no one wants it ,I'll take it.
                                Except I shall need a separate Marshall for the Kill Yoshi tourney
                                of which I get the first ten bouts !!
                                I have a few fresh Ideas I wouldn't mind trying.
                              • April Lognon
                                Message 15 of 22 , Jan 21, 2011
                                  Actually I am the MIC for Fencing. I was told the 'Hammers' were running
                                  the show and I was a just in case.

                                  Whatever you want to do is fine by me. We can discuss a plan. I am open to
                                  ideas, as you know.

                                  Are you camping at the event? Would a phone conversation be easier? Let
                                  me know and we can set a time for me to call you?

                                  Cheers
                                  Robyn/April

                                  Message 16 of 22 , Jan 21, 2011
                                    On the Hammer list, Giovanni stepped forward to be Marshal in Charge,
                                    and it sounds like we'll have lots of back-up and help in case of poor
                                    travelling conditions or other emergencies.

                                    Eyrny

                                    Message 17 of 22 , Jan 21, 2011
                                      Dearest sweet young woman ...!
                                      Hmmm and double hmmm. It appears as though Eryny and Giovanii have
                                      taken the gauntlet so to speak ..
                                      However I am puzzled... If your the M.I.C then why did they need Hammers ..??

                                      I am camping . Several of us M&M's and associated type folks will be
                                      attending. ( camping )

                                      At 07:24 AM 1/21/2011, you wrote:
                                      >Actually I am the MIC for Fencing. I was told the 'Hammers' were running
                                      >the show and I was a just in case.
                                      >
                                      >Whatever you want to do is fine by me. We can discuss a plan. I am open to
                                      >ideas, as you know.
                                      >
                                      > Are you camping at the event? Would a phone conversation be easier? Let
                                      >me know and we can set a time for me to call you?
                                      >
                                      >Cheers
                                      >Robyn/April
                                    • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                                      Message 18 of 22 , Jan 22, 2011
                                        So..... at massacre it's going to be Hammer Time? :P

                                        I'll enjoy my usual amount of dying and slashing... mostly dying.... and probably drinking, but I'm just guessing here.

                                        Yoshi

                                        Message 19 of 22 , Jan 25, 2011
                                          Hi All,

                                          Yes, I'll be running the tourney although since we have a whole
                                          weekend, I'm sure we can run more than one.

                                          The planned Tournament uses a format inspired by King/Champion (here
                                          called King/Challenger) rules used in the Belgian fencing guilds at
                                          least as early as 1600 AD. I'm stealing it from the tournaments run at
                                          the Longpoint 2011 WMA event I was at last weekend. It is an
                                          interesting variant on a bear pit.

                                          Fighters will be assigned “lots” (position in line) based on something
                                          I have yet to decide. It might be random, it might be related to
                                          precedence or it might be for the top players in a preliminary round.
                                          I've not decided.

                                          The fighter with the #1 lot is the first “king.” The #2 fighter is
                                          the first “challenger.” The winner of that bout remains/becomes the
                                          King for the next bout. The loser goes to the end of the line and
                                          loses one
                                          venny. This process continues with the bout-final king always
                                          remaining in the ring and the loser going to the end of the line. When
                                          a fighter has expended all of his vennies he is eliminated from the
                                          tournament.

                                          So, what's a venny? It's basically a life. Each fighter starts with
                                          two (2) vennies. Any fighter to remain King for four (4) consecutive
                                          bouts or longer receives an additional venny. Up to two (2) additional
                                          vennies total, per fighter, may be earned in this way. No fighter will
                                          have more than four (4) vennies (do the math).

                                          Winner of the Tournament. The winner of the final bout (between the
                                          last remaining Challenger and the King) is the winner of the
                                          tournament. The loser of the final bout is second place. The loser of
                                          the second-to-last bout is third place. So you can see that it is very
                                          adventageous to be in that last spot. If, for example, no one manages
                                          to get an extra Venny, the person is the last spot is guaranteed
                                          second place.

                                          Traditionally, the initial order was based on some sort of ranking.
                                          Given that we want people to be able to fence a lot, the order for
                                          this will probably be determined by some initial round robin type
                                          thing and perhaps your starting Vennys will be based on your abilities
                                          as a fencer so Gerrard and Eyrny would only get 1 Venny and a bad
                                          fencer such as myself should probably have 3 or more to keep things
                                          fair.

                                          --Giovanni

                                          Message 20 of 22 , Jan 25, 2011
                                            sounds like fun!

                                            Jocelyn
                                            --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:

> [...]
                                            > as a fencer so Gerrard and Eyrny would only get 1 Venny and a bad
                                            > fencer such as myself should probably have 3 or more to keep things
                                            > fair.
                                            >
                                            > --Giovanni
                                            >
                                            > On Sat, Jan 22, 2011 at 8:18 AM, Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                                            > <locusthellion@...> wrote:
                                            > > So.....  at massacre it's going to be Hammer Time? :P
                                            > >
                                            > > I'll enjoy my usual amount of dying and slashing... mostly dying....  and probably drinking, but I'm just guessing here.
                                            > >
                                            > > Yoshi
                                            > >
                                            > > --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, thltoymaker <thltoymaker@> wrote:
                                            > >>
                                            > >> Dearest sweet young woman ...!
                                            > >> Hmmm and double hmmm. It appears as though Eryny and Giovanii have
                                            > >> taken the gauntlet so to speak ..
                                            > >> However I am puzzled... If your the M.I.C then why did they need Hammers ..??
                                            > >>
                                            > >> I am camping . Several of us M&M's and associated type folks will be

                                          • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                                            Message 21 of 22 , Feb 1, 2011
                                              I'd like to thank the fencers that made it out to Coeur de Glace this past weekend. I think that Bastille du Lac has a good thing going, and I highly recomend that all of you give serious thought to going next year. I've already offered to be the RMiC for next year. The format was great, fun was had by all. :)

                                              Yoshi

                                              --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, David Biggs <davidabiggs@...> wrote:

                                              > What can anyone tell me about this event? I can find nothing about it online.
                                              > dab/aeron harper

                                            • David Biggs
                                              Message 22 of 22 , Feb 1, 2011
                                                Indeed! Good people and great fun! I'll be there next year.
                                                dab/aeron