RE: [E_Rapier] MiT Course

    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
      Got it in one. I don't know if I'll have a chance to run it at Trilliums as
      I have a pretty packed weekend and I won't be in shape for much of anything
      after my Prize on Saturday. If I can get 3-4 people together who want to
      take it at once that would be great.

      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
        On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM, David Gotlieb <dafydd@...> wrote:
        > Doesn't seem to make sense to ask Albrecht for the course just for one person, so thought I'd send out a note first to see if there are any others out there so we can coordinate timing. I'm guessing that less time teaching the course and more time fencing makes Albrecht a much happier KRM.

        Actually, the way the rules are written, the course must be offered at
        every Crown Tournament.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
          But nothing said it has to be offered there exclusively. I understand the
          rational for holding it there as there is usually no fencing (but there
          often is now), but if we want to generate a lot of Marshals holding it more
          frequently and at different venues helps. There have also been circumstances
          where I have not been able to attend Crown. It's something I'd like to
          change as I find holding it at Crown to be restrictive for both the person
          giving the course and the people wanting to attend. It's something that
          people may wish to discuss at Trilliums.

          > Doesn't seem to make sense to ask Albrecht for the course just for one
          person, so thought I'd send out a note first to see if there are any others
          out there so we can coordinate timing. I'm guessing that less time teaching
          the course and more time fencing makes Albrecht a much happier KRM.

          Actually, the way the rules are written, the course must be offered at
          every Crown Tournament.

        • Anna B
          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
            Does that mean that there is a Moot scheduled for Trillium?  and if so, when?

            ________________________________

          • argh@cogeco.ca
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
              Hi all, I have one MIT down Greyfells neck of the woods. Unfortunately he has trouble getting away on a Saturday for
              the time being, so it may be a little time before we can get him to an event for the course.

              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                I would like to try to get one in. How does this sound:

                We have a suppertime moot on Friday night, before the torch light tourney
                begins. People can come to my camp, bring your chair and your supper and we
                can chat. I should be camped at the end of Artisans Row if we get the spot
                we want. It can start 6ish and go until people have to leave for the
                tourney. Would this work for people?

                I'm currently working on a possible agenda and if there is anything people
                would like to add, please let me know. I will post what I have this evening.

                From: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com>
                > Doesn't seem to make sense to ask Albrecht for the course just for one
                person, so thought I'd send out a note first to see if there are any others
                out there so we can coordinate timing. I'm guessing that less time teaching
                the course and more time fencing makes Albrecht a much happier KRM.

                Actually, the way the rules are written, the course must be offered at
                every Crown Tournament.

              • Robert Bohler
                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                  That would be me...
                  I have 2 years in which to complete the MIT process, do I not? That being said, we'll get it done eventually

                  Ulrich of Greyfells

                • nathanielcardiff@hotmail.com
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                    Maybe this might come in as a strange idea, but in the last few years, the military's been making a lot of advances in the domain of distance learning packages.

                    Now, while I remember that the marshal's course involved a fair bit of discussion, which is a good way to hammer out "what ifs", I have to wonder if it would be feasible to turn part of the course into a distance learning package and to open up the possibility of the discussion with a number of experienced marshals instead of necessarily the KRM?

                    And if it comes down to it, a written test could also be a possibility.

                    I know, it sounds like a fair bit of work but I think it's feasible. What do you guys think?

                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                      Certainly feasible, but given the lack of progress in re-writing the
                      Marshal's Handbook (guilty here too), I don't think it's a practical
                      goal.

                      I'm sure the KRM could arrange some sort of alternative if necessary,
                      maybe do the course by phone.

                      Eyrny

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                        Well, phone is expensive, considering long distance charges and the time involved.
                        What about doing the course via webcam, or as a correspondence course through email?

                        Ulrich

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                          What about MSN ..?? Instant messaging ... You can also send files within
                          that system .. ..I think ??

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                            Skype?

                            =)

                            > Well, phone is expensive, considering long distance charges and the time involved.
                            > What about doing the course via webcam, or as a correspondence course through email?
                            >
                            > Ulrich

                            Aaron Miedema
                            Lentus autem non celer sum.
                          • Robert Bohler