MiT Course

  • David Gotlieb
    Message 1 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
      Hi Everyone,

      Just curious if there are any other Marshals-in-Training that need to take the MiT course, or if there are plans already in the works to offer the course at some point.

      Doesn't seem to make sense to ask Albrecht for the course just for one person, so thought I'd send out a note first to see if there are any others out there so we can coordinate timing. I'm guessing that less time teaching the course and more time fencing makes Albrecht a much happier KRM.

      Thanks,

      Dafydd
      Message 2 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
        Got it in one. I don't know if I'll have a chance to run it at Trilliums as
        I have a pretty packed weekend and I won't be in shape for much of anything
        after my Prize on Saturday. If I can get 3-4 people together who want to
        take it at once that would be great.

        Message 3 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
          On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 11:41 AM, David Gotlieb <dafydd@...> wrote:
          > Doesn't seem to make sense to ask Albrecht for the course just for one person, so thought I'd send out a note first to see if there are any others out there so we can coordinate timing. I'm guessing that less time teaching the course and more time fencing makes Albrecht a much happier KRM.

          Actually, the way the rules are written, the course must be offered at
          every Crown Tournament.

          Message 4 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
            But nothing said it has to be offered there exclusively. I understand the
            rational for holding it there as there is usually no fencing (but there
            often is now), but if we want to generate a lot of Marshals holding it more
            frequently and at different venues helps. There have also been circumstances
            where I have not been able to attend Crown. It's something I'd like to
            change as I find holding it at Crown to be restrictive for both the person
            giving the course and the people wanting to attend. It's something that
            people may wish to discuss at Trilliums.

            > Doesn't seem to make sense to ask Albrecht for the course just for one
            person, so thought I'd send out a note first to see if there are any others
            out there so we can coordinate timing. I'm guessing that less time teaching
            the course and more time fencing makes Albrecht a much happier KRM.

            Actually, the way the rules are written, the course must be offered at
            every Crown Tournament.

          • Anna B
            Message 5 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
              Does that mean that there is a Moot scheduled for Trillium?  and if so, when?

              ________________________________

            • argh@cogeco.ca
              Message 6 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                Hi all, I have one MIT down Greyfells neck of the woods. Unfortunately he has trouble getting away on a Saturday for
                the time being, so it may be a little time before we can get him to an event for the course.

                Message 7 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                  I would like to try to get one in. How does this sound:

                  We have a suppertime moot on Friday night, before the torch light tourney
                  begins. People can come to my camp, bring your chair and your supper and we
                  can chat. I should be camped at the end of Artisans Row if we get the spot
                  we want. It can start 6ish and go until people have to leave for the
                  tourney. Would this work for people?

                  I'm currently working on a possible agenda and if there is anything people
                  would like to add, please let me know. I will post what I have this evening.

                  From: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com>
                  > Doesn't seem to make sense to ask Albrecht for the course just for one
                  person, so thought I'd send out a note first to see if there are any others
                  out there so we can coordinate timing. I'm guessing that less time teaching
                  the course and more time fencing makes Albrecht a much happier KRM.

                  Actually, the way the rules are written, the course must be offered at
                  every Crown Tournament.

                • Robert Bohler
                  Message 8 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                    That would be me...
                    I have 2 years in which to complete the MIT process, do I not? That being said, we'll get it done eventually

                    Ulrich of Greyfells

                  • nathanielcardiff@hotmail.com
                    Message 9 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                      Maybe this might come in as a strange idea, but in the last few years, the military's been making a lot of advances in the domain of distance learning packages.

                      Now, while I remember that the marshal's course involved a fair bit of discussion, which is a good way to hammer out "what ifs", I have to wonder if it would be feasible to turn part of the course into a distance learning package and to open up the possibility of the discussion with a number of experienced marshals instead of necessarily the KRM?

                      And if it comes down to it, a written test could also be a possibility.

                      I know, it sounds like a fair bit of work but I think it's feasible. What do you guys think?

                      Message 10 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                        Certainly feasible, but given the lack of progress in re-writing the
                        Marshal's Handbook (guilty here too), I don't think it's a practical
                        goal.

                        I'm sure the KRM could arrange some sort of alternative if necessary,
                        maybe do the course by phone.

                        Eyrny

                        Message 11 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                          Well, phone is expensive, considering long distance charges and the time involved.
                          What about doing the course via webcam, or as a correspondence course through email?

                          Ulrich

                          Message 12 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                            What about MSN ..?? Instant messaging ... You can also send files within
                            that system .. ..I think ??

                            Message 13 of 14 , Jun 28, 2010
                              Skype?

                              =)

                              > Well, phone is expensive, considering long distance charges and the time involved.
                              > What about doing the course via webcam, or as a correspondence course through email?
                              >
                              > Ulrich

                              Aaron Miedema
                              Lentus autem non celer sum.
                            • Robert Bohler