Fencing at Fool

    Message 1 of 1 , May 17, 2010

      This weekend is the event known as Fruits of our Labours
      (http://www.treheima.ca/fool/), an event dedicated to learning new things.

      Mistress Odette has offered me the opportunity to run fencing at the event,
      and I decided I wanted to try a format I've been reading about for some
      time. Here is the entry from the class description page:

      The Fechtschule

      The fencing at FOOL will take place in the context of a 16th century German
      Fechtschule, the closest thing I have found to a period tournament that
      involved the use of rapiers. It was a competition between the two main
      fencing groups in the Holy Roman Empire, The Brotherhood of Saint Mark (the
      Marxbrudder) and the Federfechters (Free Fencers). Those who wish to
      participate will be divided into two groups representing the rival groups
      and each group will elect a Captain. The Captains will alternate picking
      fencers to fight a bout. When a Captain chooses a fencer, the opposing
      Captain can then choose a suitable opponent. Each bout will be fought for a
      gold coin, and at the end of the tournament, the side with the most coins
      will be declared the winner of the day. Accolades will also be given to the
      most honourable fencers and those who fenced in a demonstrably period style.
      Cut & Thrust is allowed and encouraged for those who are appropriately
      authorized and armoured.

      Here is the tentative schedule for the day:

      10 am List area open for inspections and authorizations
      11 am Fechtschule Procession through camp
      11:30 - 3:00 pm Fechtschule Tourney

      There may be time afterwards for pickups but I have to be done as my Lady
      Wife is teaching a class and I have to watch the kids.

      I won't be there on Sunday or Monday but you can speak to the event Steward
      and see if there will be space available for pick ups. Also, check the class
      schedule on the FOOL site as the field is in use for some classes.

      Yours is Service

      Albrecht, RMIC, FOOL