Announcement from Calontir

  • Aaron Gormanshaw
    Message 1 of 14 , May 12 2:06 AM

      Message 2 of 14 , May 12 9:18 AM
        This is awesome news!

        Mateo

        > Copied and pasted from another list I am on:
        >
        > Good People of Calontir,
        > Much has happened with our project to explore the possibilities of
        > steel combat in Calontir since last year at this time. We have
        > diligently been working on refining the rules and requirements and
        > again we are anxious to show what we have come up with to the Kingdom
        > at large.
        > Please join us for a full week of activities on the Steel Combat Field
        > at Lilies War. We will have information, as well as loaner gear for
        > those who may be inclined to give it a try. You can find us near the
        > battlefield up on the Anvil of God.
        > We believe its important to note, this is not light or heavy rapier
        > combat as is known in the rest of the SCA. What we have crafted is a
        > system that more resembles SCA Cut and Thrust combat that is being
        > utilized in other Kingdoms as a system to explore period techniques
        > armed with steel weapons. If you have rapier gear at present, or have
        > friends who may be inclined to come to Lilies to play on our Steel
        > Combat field, all must have minimum Cut and Thrust armour and CT legal
        > weapons. No heavy rapier or light rapier only weapons and gear will
        > be allowed under any circumstance. In short, you are gonna get hit...
        > Rules and requirements for Calontir Steel Combat can be found here:
        > http://calontir- steel.webs. com/rules. htm

      • L. Tremblay
        Message 3 of 14 , May 12 9:32 AM
          I really, really like how they roll all the secondary authorisations
          into the primary authorisation. I wish we did that, to be honest (or at
          least had just a single extra "something in your offhand"
          authorisation). Integrating C&T completely into their game from the
          start is also very interesting. I wouldn't be opposed to that at all. I
          could see that being a holy war, though =)

          Lars

          __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5108 (20100512) __________

          http://www.eset.com
          Message 4 of 14 , May 12 9:59 AM
            Well, not so much integrating in from the start as saying there will
            never be rapier, just C&T.
            --g

            On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:32 PM, L. Tremblay <lrt512@...> wrote:
            > I really, really like how they roll all the secondary authorisations
            > into the primary authorisation. I wish we did that, to be honest (or at
            > least had just a single extra "something in your offhand"
            > authorisation). Integrating C&T completely into their game from the
            > start is also very interesting. I wouldn't be opposed to that at all. I
            > could see that being a holy war, though =)
            >
            > Lars
            >
            > Aaron Gormanshaw wrote:
            >>

            >> > Copied and pasted from another list I am on:
            >> >
            >> > Good People of Calontir,
            >> > Much has happened with our project to explore the possibilities of
            >> > steel combat in Calontir since last year at this time. We have
            >> > diligently been working on refining the rules and requirements and
            >> > again we are anxious to show what we have come up with to the Kingdom
            >> > at large.
            >> > Please join us for a full week of activities on the Steel Combat Field
            >> > at Lilies War. We will have information, as well as loaner gear for
            >> > those who may be inclined to give it a try. You can find us near the
            >> > battlefield up on the Anvil of God.
            >> > We believe its important to note, this is not light or heavy rapier
            >> > combat as is known in the rest of the SCA. What we have crafted is a
            >> > system that more resembles SCA Cut and Thrust combat that is being
            >> > utilized in other Kingdoms as a system to explore period techniques
            >> > armed with steel weapons. If you have rapier gear at present, or have
            >> > friends who may be inclined to come to Lilies to play on our Steel
            >> > Combat field, all must have minimum Cut and Thrust armour and CT legal
            >> > weapons. No heavy rapier or light rapier only weapons and gear will
            >> > be allowed under any circumstance. In short, you are gonna get hit...
            >> > Rules and requirements for Calontir Steel Combat can be found here:
            >> > http://calontir- steel.webs. com/rules. htm

            >> signature database 5107 (20100512) __________

            >> http://www.eset.com
            >

            > __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5108 (20100512) __________

            > http://www.eset.com

          • David Gotlieb
            Message 5 of 14 , May 12 10:04 AM
              I'm not so sure. I suspect my primary authorization would have been significantly delayed if I had to be able to show proficiency/safety in other forms at the same time.

              It probably would have added at least a few months to the time it took me to get my primary auth if I had to train on dagger, rigid parry etc at the same time. C&T would have been even more.

              I've found that while practices are great, I've really picked up my learning since my authorization, since I'm now able to fight all kinds of different people at events across the Kingdom. Anything that would delay being able to get that experience, I'm not sure would be a good thing.

              Dafydd

              Message 6 of 14 , May 12 10:25 AM
                On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 12:59 PM, John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:
                > Well, not so much integrating in from the start as saying there will
                > never be rapier, just C&T.

                They view themselves as authorizing in both, and so able to
                participate in tournaments in other kingdoms under non C&T rules, by
                adjusting their combat style.

                I hope it works.

                Message 7 of 14 , May 12 10:34 AM
                  That could be.ummmm.problematic. I'd like to see how they handle the switch
                  back and forth between styles. Remind me to put my C&T gear on when I'm
                  facing someone from Calontir, though they'd probably want me to anyways.

                  Message 8 of 14 , May 12 10:56 AM
                    Does Calontir's "Steel" Authorization allow them to play on the rapier field at Pennsic?

                    They were definately at Gulf Wars and thier calibration was equal to Atlantia's.

                    Jocelyn

                    Message 9 of 14 , May 12 11:04 AM
                      Calontir Fencers are allowed to hold OOK authorization cards.
                      I don't believe that their C&T program had officially been announced
                      prior to Gulf Wars.

                      --j

                      Message 10 of 14 , May 12 11:44 AM
                        Well that answers my questio, sort of, in a round about fashion..I ask because it was a Calontiri that took me out of the rose tourney and GW and I want another shot at him..grr..

                        Jocelyn

                        Message 11 of 14 , May 12 12:16 PM
                          On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 2:04 PM, John Enzinas <jenzinas@...> wrote:
                          > Calontir Fencers are allowed to hold OOK authorization cards.
                          > I don't believe that their C&T program had officially been announced
                          > prior to Gulf Wars.
                          >
                          > On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 1:56 PM, Yvonne <tamlin_01@...> wrote:
                          >> Does Calontir's "Steel" Authorization allow them to play on the rapier field at Pennsic?
                          >>
                          >> They were definately at Gulf Wars and thier calibration was equal to Atlantia's.

                          Gulf Wars was prior to the start of their program, so they were
                          fighting under other kingdom authorizations.

                          The authorization process described at
                          http://calontir-steel.webs.com/rules.htm, has them demonstrate thrusts
                          and slicing blows in step D, and then in step E add percussive blows.
                          This will let them have one authorization for all types of combat, not
                          needing a second card. So yes, they'll fight on the field at Pennsic,
                          and they could show up at an Ealdormere event and expect to fight too.

                          Message 12 of 14 , May 12 12:47 PM
                            On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:16 PM, Kathleen Gormanshaw
                            <kgormanshaw@...> wrote:
                            > The authorization process described at
                            > http://calontir-steel.webs.com/rules.htm, has them demonstrate thrusts
                            > and slicing blows in step D, and then in step E add percussive blows.
                            > This will let them have one authorization for all types of combat, not
                            > needing a second card.  So yes, they'll fight on the field at Pennsic,
                            > and they could show up at an Ealdormere event and expect to fight too.

                            That's interesting. by specifying that there will be no percussive
                            blows in melee it seems to imply that there will be melees. Since they
                            will be doing this from cut and thrust equipment standards they will
                            be using cut and thrust weapons. Given the stiffness of weapons
                            allowed for C&T, that's a little worrying.

                            --g
                          • David Whitford
                            Message 13 of 14 , May 12 1:05 PM
                              I think announced post GW at their coronation
                              Robert

                              Message 14 of 14 , May 12 2:10 PM
                                exactly my point! ..but in better developed thougth process

                                sigh Jocelyn