Re: [E_Rapier] Re: Letter about gorgets...

    Message 1 of 51 , May 11, 2010
      On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Ross Weaver <ross.weaver@...> wrote:
      > The reason I'm more concerned about C&T is the nature of the blow and
      > physics.  In regular rapier the energy of the shot is dispersed over a
      > larger area, the blunt, creating less force than in C&T because the energy
      > from a percussive blow with the edge creates is more force involved
      > typically (remember on the side of the neck a C&T shot is only at most
      > likely to contact about 5 cm length of the blade, likely less).  Another
      > thing to note is I find the above calibration shots usually occur from those
      > sword held high falling down to opponent's head/sholder shots or something
      > smiliar.  As well in C&T a lot more of the shots come down from above
      > towards the shoulder/neck versus heavy rapier where most shots in that
      > region will be face/throat/chest.  So in C&T the probability of injury is
      > higher due to increased force, and far more shots will be landing in that
      > area.  Which means the risk in C&T is much higher.

      Having had bones broken and masked dented by the large area of the
      blunt, I have no desire to risk a hit like that in an area I now know
      could knock me unconscious or even kill me. Also, I believe that most
      hard hits tend to be as a result of the attacker miss judging the
      moment and/or position of impact. These chaos caused hard hits are
      even more common in melee, something we are not allowed to do with C&T
      (probably for the best).

      For these reasons I'll support a change, should the Society or Kingdom
      Marshals decide to do so.

      --g
      Message 51 of 51 , May 12, 2010
        On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:18 PM, M <menzinas@...> wrote:
        >> > I can't go around strangling members of my Barony! For any reason. Even educational ones.
        >> You don't have to strangle him to death, just a little demonstration.
        >
        > That is the 'Society for Consenting Adults' not 'Society for Creative Anacronism' don't get them confused.

        hmm... oh yeah, both cards are blue!

        > How about a mythbuster's approch? Put the gorget(s) on a dummy and wack the dummy with a sword?

        While lots of dummys are available, finding a way to simulate the neck
        underneath is harder.

        > ps wanna wrestle?

        Sure :-) Though my impression is that you're learning to fight,
        unlike judo which is very much a sport.