Re: [E_Rapier] Re: Letter about gorgets...

  • Ross Weaver
    Message 1 of 51 , May 11, 2010
      On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 1:53 PM, Eve Harris & David Stamper <
      evedave1@...> wrote:

      > My personal preference (repeat, personal) is a solid gorget. It makes me
      >
      > feel more secure and I don't find it particularly uncomfortable. I've been
      > wearing one since we started the schlager experiment many moons ago so I
      > guess I'm used to it. Does it provide me with greater protection than a
      > gorget constructed using the proposed rule? Perhaps a little bit. I think
      > the solid gorget can distribute the force of a blow a bit more evenly than
      > brigantine type gorget. Would I be comfortable wearing a gorget under the
      > proposed rule? Yes, I would be, as long as it covered the appropriate
      > areas.

      Having worn both a solid gorget in the past that encircled my neck, and my
      current design of steal, overlapping, plates front and back on soft leather
      (some would call it brigantine) I can honestly say I feel safer and more
      protected with my current design. I've taken hard shots in the neck before
      and found that they end up dispersing the energy in 2 lines, one at the top
      and one at the bottom, pushing into the throat.

      My current design disperses the energy much better than the solid design so
      it is safer (and I found in order to cover the throat at all times, it also
      has to cover the arteries). Plus I find it far more comfortable than the
      rigid "dog collar".

      Now this all does apply to heavy rapier. C&T is a different matter,
      personally once I have my C&T kit back together it will involve more arm
      protection, collar bone protection and decent protection to the whole head
      and neck...

      ~Wilhelm

      Message 51 of 51 , May 12, 2010
        On Wed, May 12, 2010 at 3:18 PM, M <menzinas@...> wrote:
        >> > I can't go around strangling members of my Barony! For any reason. Even educational ones.
        >> You don't have to strangle him to death, just a little demonstration.
        >
        > That is the 'Society for Consenting Adults' not 'Society for Creative Anacronism' don't get them confused.

        hmm... oh yeah, both cards are blue!

        > How about a mythbuster's approch? Put the gorget(s) on a dummy and wack the dummy with a sword?

        While lots of dummys are available, finding a way to simulate the neck
        underneath is harder.

        > ps wanna wrestle?

        Sure :-) Though my impression is that you're learning to fight,
        unlike judo which is very much a sport.