Re: [E_Rapier] War of the Trilliums

    Message 1 of 26 , May 11, 2010
      So far I am aware of a fencing tourny and a triathelon for the
      Olympiad and the Galbraith tourney. I'd also like to hold another
      torchlight tourney.
      I have yet to be asked about anything else.
      --g

      On Tue, May 11, 2010 at 2:48 PM, Eve Harris & David Stamper
      <evedave1@...> wrote:
      > Excellent! I'll get back to you about timing. I just don't want to conflict
      > with any tourneys or other events being held, like the Prize fights.
      >

      > Albrecht
      >

      >  _____

    • Aaron Miedema
      Message 2 of 26 , May 17, 2012
        Hi all... I'll give you warning this is a longish email. But it is of
        interest to all intending to attend War of the Trilliums and participate in
        the Rapier activities. It is a work in progress, there are some
        Tournaments still to be added, and the schedule is still to be nailed out.
        But you may want to start prepping for this now.

        Do ask questions if you have them.

        I'm also open to suggestions and ideas to keep with the Viking theme.

        Rapier Schedule for War of the Trilliums: Pillage of the Damned.

        The theme of this year�s War of the trilliums is Viking. In order to keep
        with the theme, I have decided to dive in with both feet and try and make a
        series of Viking type contests. Some of these are fighting tournaments and
        some are non combat tcontests meant to encourage fencers to embrace the
        theme of the event.

        THE FJORD SAGAS

        The fame of Vikings were often known by the deeds of individuals, their
        appearance, their prowess, their wealth and acquisition, and their legacy
        in poetry. As a result, fencers are encouraged to participate in a series
        of combat and non-combat contests to prove their worthiness as true Vikings.

        WEEKEND-LONG TOURNEYS

        *Best Dressed Viking:* (1st place: 3 points, 2nd place: 2 points,
        3rdplace: 1 point, non-compliance: -1 point) Fencers in their armour
        are to
        dress in as Viking a manner as possible (of course, mask, gorget, and
        gloves will be excluded from the assessment). 1st place will go to the
        fencer who is consistently best dressed in Viking clothing in the
        List. 2ndplace will go to all other fencers who are dressed in full
        Viking manner.
        3rd place will go to all fencers who made some sort of homage to the Viking
        theme with their armour. Any fencer not participating in the Viking theme
        will lose one point.

        *Best Armed Viking:* (Rapier legal Viking sword: 1 point, Rapier legal
        Viking buckler/shield: 1 point, other rapier legal Viking weapon accessory:
        1 point, Use of non-Viking weapon or parry device: -1 point for each
        weapon) Fencers
        are encouraged to take advantage of the new blade rules and use a rapier
        legal Viking weapons, the Hanwei Practical Viking sword is an inexpensive
        choice. Fencers will need to use only these weapons in all fighting
        tournaments in order to be awarded the points. Conversely fencers using
        non-Viking weapons will be penalized for each non-Viking weapon they use
        over the course of the weekend. Fencers will be given the lowest possible
        score for the entirety of the Fjord Saga Tournament.

        FRIDAY TOURNAMENTS

        FRIDAY EVENING

        Grendel Tournament: (1st place: 3 points, 2nd place: 2 points, 3rd place:
        1 point, non-compliance: -1 point). This will be a torchlight
        tournament. With
        all the Vikings gathered at the mead hall for an Althing they are attacked
        by a seemingly invincible monster who is intent of rending our them limb
        from limb. The monster will be armed with two daggers representing its
        claws. The monster will only be able to be killed by one particular type
        of hit (thrust, tip cut, push/draw cut) on a single target location (head,
        torso, left arm, right arm, left leg, or right leg).

        First place will go to the combatant that kills the monster.

        Second place will go to and combatant incapacitated or killed by the
        monster.

        Third Place will go to any combatant that escapes the mead hall.

        Non-compliance is awarded to any active fencer still unwounded and in the
        mead hall when the monster is killed (with the exception of the combatant
        that kills the monster).

        SATURDAY TOURNAMENTS

        *Jeorl Tourney:* After the appearance of the monster it seems fitting to
        find a new Fjord to live in, there are two boats and crews need to be
        determined. This will be a Warlord Tournament to determine boat crews for
        the �The Wrong side of the Fjord� Tournament.

        *The Wrong side of the Fjord:* (all members of the winning team will gain
        1 point) This will be a Boat battle. One side of the Fjord looks more
        fertile than the other, the Vikings fight for its possession. The teams
        determined from Jeorl Tournament will each man a boat. The team that
        survives with an operable boat (i.e. three crew men) wins the tournament.

        *Land Grab Tournament:* (score counted by territory held by each
        combatant) Vikings were notable farmers and always in search of good land. In
        this case, the fertile lands in the upper fjord, away from the windswept
        headlands. There will be two lists each represent one side of the Fjord. Each
        list is subdivided into three lists in a line. Half of the fencers (the
        teams determined by the Jeorl Tourney) will be in cue for each of these
        lines of lists in reverse precedence of date of Rapier authorization. The
        action of tournament will be fought in phases. All combats in a phase will
        be resolved before moving on, fencers will then move up and down the lists
        and the combats for the next phase of the tournament will be determined and
        then resolved, and so on. In the first phase, the first two fencers will
        enter the first list and fight, the victor of the bout will move to the
        second list, the loser will move to the back of the line, both fencers will
        move to the back of the line in the case of a double hit. In the second
        phase the first list will be brought up to two combatants from the cue. From
        this point on any list with two or more fencers in it will need to be
        resolved by combat so that only one or no combatant remains alive. The
        victor of a combat will move to the next list up, or remain where they are
        if they are in the third list. The loser of a combat will move down one
        list or to the back of the line if they lose in the First list. At the end
        of the tournament (1 hour), the fencer�s in sole possession of a list will
        be awarded points. They will receive 1 point for the first list, 2 points
        for the second list, and 3 points for the third list. If there are two or
        more occupants in a list at the end of the tournament, the points are split
        between them, rounded down.

        *Thrall Uprising*: Over time the Vikings that have grown rich on their
        lands have also become complacent and the Thralls rise to gain freedom and
        booty. Those fencers which were in possession of a list in the *Land Grab
        Tourney* are the �landed� Vikings and will form one team. All other
        fencers form the Thrall hoards. The tournament will be repeated until the
        alloted time expires, each side will be awarded their best score. The
        melee will be fought until all members of one team have been killed or
        incapacitated, at which point the score is tallied.

        The Thralls will gain 2 points for killing a landed Viking, The Landed
        Vikings will gain one point for killing a thrall. Double points will be
        awarded for incapacitation, due to both arms being hit, or by
        immobilization (leg hit).

        SATURDAY EVENING

        *Best Saga:* (1st place: 3 points, 2nd place: 2 points, 3rd place: 1
        point, non-compliance: -1 point) Fencers will arrange for a presentation of
        a saga bragging of their achievements for the event. This will be a judged
        tourney. Fencers may�and are encouraged to�recruit the talents of a skald.
        First and second place will be given to the sagas judged best, all other
        entrants will receive 3rd place.

        --
        Aaron Miedema, B.F.A., B.A., M.A.
        Historian

        Message 3 of 26 , May 17, 2012
          Wow!

          Eyrny
        • David Gotlieb
          Message 4 of 26 , May 17, 2012
            Hi Aaron,

            This sounds really interesting and I applaud you for putting this much time and thought into the tournaments. I would encourage you to rethink the idea of penalizing fencers for the fact that they don't own viking-period equipment. I have no problem with extra points going towards people who put extra effort in (by making Viking fencing garb or even purchasing new equipment), but I don't think its fair to expect people to go out and buy hundreds of dollars of equipment in order to participate in a single event.

            Basically, your effort to get people to participate in the theme (which I fully applaud) ends up penalizing people who don't have the money to buy a viking sword, buckler etc.

            I would suggest giving bonus points for the extra effort, but don't take away points for those who don't have viking gear available to them.
            Lord Dafydd ap Alan (MKA David Gotlieb)
            Canton of Harrowgate Heath

            ________________________________

            Message 5 of 26 , May 17, 2012
              A valid concern David, having been one of those impovrished members for
              years, I am sensitive to the issue of economic marginalization.

              The intent of the weapon rule is to penalize those who attempt to maximize
              their weapon style to win rather than to fit the theme.

              As to the acquisition of additional weapons. The Hanwei Practical Viking
              can be acquired for under $100 if you know how to shop around, in fact I've
              already catalogued websites--I will share with anyone interested. (PLEASE
              POST ME BEFORE BUYING, I can give some helpful advice). Borrowing is also
              acceptable.... I know I have one that I won't be using. As to round
              viking-like bucklers, I have playwood I need to use for making boats, but,
              if there are left overs I will contemplate getting some mixing bowls and
              making extra sheilds for people to use.

              Although its that easy, two foot round piece of plywood, a piece of wood
              for a handle and a metal mixing bowl is all you need for a viking sheild,
              have that and your regular rapier, and there is no point deduction.

              Its not so economically in feasible as it at first may seem, you just have
              to think a little outside the box.

              As to what you are wearing, put something Viking on your armour and you get
              a point... it could even be mounting some silly horns on your mask. Just
              make a slight effort and its a point. If you don't bother, well then you
              will lose a point.
              Does that sound fair?
              <http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/item/9780988019218/Miedema-Aaron-Taylor-Bayonets-and-Blobsticks-The-Canadian-Experience-of-Close-Combat-1915-1918/1.html>

            • EVE HARRIS
              Message 6 of 26 , May 17, 2012

                I would concur with Dafydd. These events sound like a tonne of fun and it's pretty easy for me to do Norse stuff (my Lady is a very good Norse woman and makes spiffy Norse garb), but not everyone can. I think the tricky bit is the weapons. The Practical Viking sword runs around $100, and I'm not sure where it would fall in the flex test, but I suspect it might be C&T only. If this is otherwise, please let me know.  If we used a regular blade on a simple hilt, would that be appropriate? I guess sticking horns on my burgonet wouldn't help (for multiple reasons)? :)

                I have a fair amount of material on Norse arms and armour. If anyone has any questions about what works for norse and what doesn't, please feel free to get in touch with me.

                Albrecht

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 26 , May 17, 2012
                  Actually Albrecht, sticking horns on your burgonet would be sufficient to
                  get the point. I did observe that mask, gorget, and gloves were not
                  subjected to negative judgement.

                  As to the swords, I'm not opposed to setting conditions of 31" blade or
                  less, simple straight quillions. as the Requirement for a Viking type
                  sword. As to the Viking Practicals, they are boarderline. If you decide
                  to buy something... I'm pretty sure that Relicks and Kult of Athena both
                  will test to SCA standards and send you one that meets it... But you do
                  have to ask them to do that. No matter who you buy from make sure they
                  test it. And make sure you test it to Heavy Rapier Standards and not Cut
                  and Thrust. It would be very unhappy to get one you can't use. =(

                  Message 8 of 26 , May 17, 2012
                    If we could provide documentation of Norse swords longer than 31", would that be ok?

                    Albrecht

                    ________________________________

                    Message 9 of 26 , May 17, 2012
                      And what documentation do you have?

                      Message 10 of 26 , May 17, 2012
                        Guess its time to pull out the book on viking arms, armour and combat techniques I bought for Avelyn for Christmas. Knew it would be handy, didn't think it would be handy for rapier. :)

                        Message 11 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                          I've been doing some checking. The longest extant blade I've been able to
                          find so far is 88 cm (roughly 34 1/2 inches), but my search continues.

                          Albrecht

                          > If we could provide documentation of Norse swords longer than 31", would
                          > that be ok?
                          >
                          > Albrecht
                          >

                          > ________________________________

                          Combat

                          Message 12 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                            I see 34 1/2 inches... Can anyone do better on a norse blade length.
                            What is the source of this information Albrecht?

                            Message 13 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                              I've seen an online reference to 100 cm but still working to confirm with proper documentation. Unfortunately it was just an image of a series of swords with no proper scale.

                              Message 14 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                Well if you share URLs and such like, other people might have differing
                                prespectives to add to solving the question. No point in doing this all in
                                a vaccuum. One of the critical aspects of reseach is to share
                                your findings, that way other people can build on it. =)

                                Message 15 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                  Here's the URL. The ref to sword lengths is about 1/4 of the way down the page. Wouldn't even ciount this as a tertiary source given they don't document any of the statements. But its a start.

                                  http://www.hurstwic.org/history/articles/manufacturing/text/viking_sword.htm

                                  Lord Dafydd ap Alan (MKA David Gotlieb)
                                  Canton of Harrowgate Heath

                                  ________________________________
                                  Well if you share URLs and such like, other people might have differing
                                  prespectives to add to solving the question.  No point in doing this all in
                                  a vaccuum.  One of the critical aspects of reseach is to share
                                  your findings, that way other people can build on it.  =)

                                  On Fri, May 18, 2012 at 10:43 AM, David Gotlieb <dafydd@...> wrote:

                                  > **
                                  >

                                  > I've seen an online reference to 100 cm but still working to confirm with
                                  > proper documentation. Unfortunately it was just an image of a series of
                                  > swords with no proper scale.
                                  >

                                  > Lord Dafydd ap Alan (MKA David Gotlieb)
                                  > Canton of Harrowgate Heath

                                • Aaron Miedema
                                  Message 16 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                    If I were to hazard aq guess, I'd say it is likely the Petersen 1919
                                    source.... Found the original on line.... anyone no anyone with capacity
                                    with Norwegian?

                                    http://www.scribd.com/doc/43736258/Petersen-Jan-1919-De-Norske-Vikingesverd-En-Typologisk-Kronologisk-Studie-Over-Vikingetidens-Vaaben

                                    And there seems to be some English reference here.

                                    Message 17 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                      http://www.vikingsword.com/petersen/index.html
                                      Oops

                                      Message 18 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                        Here's details of a viking era sword found in a private collection that measures 103 cm total. Blade is 88 cm, so may be the one Albrecht is referring to.
                                        http://www.vikingsword.com/vmuseum/vmh1.html

                                        Finding lots of references to the fact that swords became longer and heavier as we get later into the viking period, so I think it depends on what age you are looking at.

                                        Didn't have a chance to root through my books at home last night, went to practice instead. :) Maybe over the weekend.

                                        Message 19 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                          That is the one. I was just looking it up again when I saw your post.

                                          Albrecht

                                          ________________________________

                                          Message 20 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                            OK. Did some more digging... Petersen states: "Recently *Universitetets
                                            Oldtidssamling* [University Museum of Antiquities in Oslo] has received the
                                            longest blade from the Viking Age at 90.7 cm..." The 100cm picture would
                                            likely be a sword that was shorter than that, as 10cm would be a little too
                                            short for a guard, grip, and pommel. Of course that is from 1919 so it
                                            possible there has been a different find, but until that is found, I'll go
                                            with Petersen as the authority. That makes 35.7" the longest lenghth,
                                            rounded up to 36".

                                            Message 21 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                              I have half a dozen books on Viking stuff, and they all talk about hilts and decorations, but there seems to be a scarcity of information on blade lengths. 31-33 inches seems to be the average, at least for earlier period blades.

                                              Albrecht

                                              Message 22 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                                Damn, my sword missed by an inch. Oh well.

                                                Albrecht

                                                Message 23 of 26 , May 18, 2012
                                                  Well, the theme was Viking.... no specification as to date.... so early
                                                  or late... I am not going to be THAT particular... The longest Viking
                                                  sword according to Petersen is 35.7" which I'm willing to round up to 36".
                                                  Now if people want to start examining the width of quillions, that would be
                                                  helpful too.