Re: Gorget Rules / Proposed implementation

    Message 1 of 2 , May 11 7:53 AM
      From THL Gerrard Carpentarius:

      I am a huge fan of playing safely: However in my most humble opinion as long
      as the throat
      ( windpipe / carotid arteries ) are fully protected in any position the
      fencer might engage in ( This would include a reasonable overlap coverage )
      then the Gorget is more than safe.
      The Spinal coverage is in itself already well into "more than adequate
      protection ".
      Considering that the odds of an adequate blunt force hitting just in the
      right manner at that spine dammaging spot is even more remote given that we
      must lay our blades on our opponents shoulders for a kill. Yet I also
      appreciate that no one wants to be a quadriplegic. To that end I am
      satisfied with this protection .

      I personally love padding behind my gorget.

      Message 2 of 2 , May 11 8:08 AM
        The concern voiced had to do with the definition of "throat" for
        required rigid protection coverage. Some people felt that this
        definition did not include the carotid arteries but rather just the
        windpipe. I suspect that the requirement for 95% rigid protection is a
        result of this difference of opinion so as to prevent any discussion
        over definitions.
        Given I wear I fully rigid gorget I suspect it is fairly easy to guess
        where I stand on the requirements for neck protection.

        --g