Re: [E_Rapier] News from Wilhelm

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
      My sympathies.
      Few things are more frustrating than willing spirit meeting with weak flesh.
      I hope the shotgun catches something and you are soon on the road to recovery.

      Giovanni

      On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Ross Weaver <ross.weaver@...> wrote:
      > I've been thinking of writing this letter for a bit but it is hard.
      >
      > Most of you don't know, but I have been injured.  It limits my ability
      > to travel and fence.
      >
      > I have been encountering problems with Sciatic nerve since January,
      > and I was unable to fence.  It was looking healed by the end of
      > February, and I was starting to fence again.  At the start of March a
      > virus attacked the sciatic nerve in my right leg.  The virus is gone,
      > but there may be permanent damage.
      >
      > My right foot is numb, the degree and size of numbness changes (which
      > the professionals tell me is a good sign).  The muscles in my right
      > leg are not responding properly.  I've lost a lot of muscle mass and
      > movement in my legs (right one in particular)...
      >
      > The medical professionals are hoping the nerve will heal itself and
      > the problem will just go away.  They really don't know what is wrong
      > other than the nerve is not working properly.  I have an MRI scheduled
      > for this summer, and boy do I hope it heals before that...
      >
      > I am fencing now, but I'm not up to normal abilities.  I traveled from
      > Ottawa to Hamilton last weekend and set my recovery back weeks due to
      > too long in the car, etc. and made me realize that recovery is not
      > guaranteed this time.  So I'm not able to fence as well as I used to,
      > and my travel is limited.  My balance is off and sometimes I have
      > problems walking right now, on a good day most people wont notice it,
      > on a bad day I limp, wobble and have to lay down to rest a lot.
      >
      > I'm hoping I can make a decent showing at Coronation on the 24th, as I
      > should be able to travel to Kingston.  And cross my fingers my leg
      > will be stable enough to allow me to fence some.
      >
      > I don't know if I will ever be good enough to play a prize fight in
      > the EAoD again.  I have the small hope I will be able to fight my
      > provost prize at War to the Trilliums, but I'm pretty sure I would not
      > be able to complete the prize before my leg gave out.
      >
      > ~Wilhelm von Pottruff

    • L. Tremblay
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
        Yes, there will be fencing at Coronation. As soon as I get more details
        as to what our space will be like and how much time we'll have, I will
        give you all more details on what the day's format will be.

        Stay tuned,
        Lars

        __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5011 (20100408) __________

        http://www.eset.com
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
          Cool! I may actually be there.

          Yes, there will be fencing at Coronation. As soon as I get more details
          as to what our space will be like and how much time we'll have, I will
          give you all more details on what the day's format will be.

          Stay tuned,
          Lars

          database 5011 (20100408) __________

          http://www.eset <http://www.eset.com> com

        • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 10, 2010
            Excellent! I will be in attendance, I'll make sure I have my gear. :)

            Yoshi