Re: [E_Rapier] News from Wilhelm

    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
      That must be very frustrating! Does fencing from a chair help at all,
      or just a new frustration?

      On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Ross Weaver <ross.weaver@...> wrote:
      > I don't know if I will ever be good enough to play a prize fight in
      > the EAoD again.  I have the small hope I will be able to fight my
      > provost prize at War to the Trilliums, but I'm pretty sure I would not
      > be able to complete the prize before my leg gave out.

      Concentrate on getting better, the prize will still be there, waiting
      to be conquered.

      Do you have a good massage therapist? Hoskuld got a lot of benefit
      for his shoulder from a good one, it appears to have healed without
      the surgery that was anticipated at one point.

      Eyrny
    • Ross Weaver
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
        > That must be very frustrating! Does fencing from a chair help at all,
        > or just a new frustration?
        Had to try that before when my leg has having problems. It wasn't too
        bad, although turning to face an opponent was difficult.

        > Do you have a good massage therapist? Hoskuld got a lot of benefit
        > for his shoulder from a good one, it appears to have healed without
        > the surgery that was anticipated at one point.
        I've thought about that, it is one the few things I'm not trying
        really. Right not it is a bit of a shotgun approach to recovery, here
        try this see it if it helps...

        ~Wil
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
          Wilhelm,

          I'm sorry to hear about your injury.  You have Cainder and my wishes and prayers for a full recovery.

          Mateo

          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
            If you're looking for more ideas for the shotgun approach, and if you haven't' thought of it yet - acupuncture worked for Cainder's tensis elbow and others I've talked to have found it helps with rehabilitation of muscles.

            However, you know your own body of course - we're just offering ideas because we care and hope our friend gets better.

            Mateo

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
              My sympathies.
              Few things are more frustrating than willing spirit meeting with weak flesh.
              I hope the shotgun catches something and you are soon on the road to recovery.

              Giovanni

              On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Ross Weaver <ross.weaver@...> wrote:
              > I've been thinking of writing this letter for a bit but it is hard.
              >
              > Most of you don't know, but I have been injured.  It limits my ability
              > to travel and fence.
              >
              > I have been encountering problems with Sciatic nerve since January,
              > and I was unable to fence.  It was looking healed by the end of
              > February, and I was starting to fence again.  At the start of March a
              > virus attacked the sciatic nerve in my right leg.  The virus is gone,
              > but there may be permanent damage.
              >
              > My right foot is numb, the degree and size of numbness changes (which
              > the professionals tell me is a good sign).  The muscles in my right
              > leg are not responding properly.  I've lost a lot of muscle mass and
              > movement in my legs (right one in particular)...
              >
              > The medical professionals are hoping the nerve will heal itself and
              > the problem will just go away.  They really don't know what is wrong
              > other than the nerve is not working properly.  I have an MRI scheduled
              > for this summer, and boy do I hope it heals before that...
              >
              > I am fencing now, but I'm not up to normal abilities.  I traveled from
              > Ottawa to Hamilton last weekend and set my recovery back weeks due to
              > too long in the car, etc. and made me realize that recovery is not
              > guaranteed this time.  So I'm not able to fence as well as I used to,
              > and my travel is limited.  My balance is off and sometimes I have
              > problems walking right now, on a good day most people wont notice it,
              > on a bad day I limp, wobble and have to lay down to rest a lot.
              >
              > I'm hoping I can make a decent showing at Coronation on the 24th, as I
              > should be able to travel to Kingston.  And cross my fingers my leg
              > will be stable enough to allow me to fence some.
              >
              > I don't know if I will ever be good enough to play a prize fight in
              > the EAoD again.  I have the small hope I will be able to fight my
              > provost prize at War to the Trilliums, but I'm pretty sure I would not
              > be able to complete the prize before my leg gave out.
              >
              > ~Wilhelm von Pottruff

            • L. Tremblay
              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
                Yes, there will be fencing at Coronation. As soon as I get more details
                as to what our space will be like and how much time we'll have, I will
                give you all more details on what the day's format will be.

                Stay tuned,
                Lars

                __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5011 (20100408) __________

                http://www.eset.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
                  Cool! I may actually be there.

                  Yes, there will be fencing at Coronation. As soon as I get more details
                  as to what our space will be like and how much time we'll have, I will
                  give you all more details on what the day's format will be.

                  Stay tuned,
                  Lars

                  database 5011 (20100408) __________

                  http://www.eset <http://www.eset.com> com

                • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 10, 2010
                    Excellent! I will be in attendance, I'll make sure I have my gear. :)

                    Yoshi