News from Wilhelm

  • Ross Weaver
    Message 1 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
      I've been thinking of writing this letter for a bit but it is hard.

      Most of you don't know, but I have been injured. It limits my ability
      to travel and fence.

      I have been encountering problems with Sciatic nerve since January,
      and I was unable to fence. It was looking healed by the end of
      February, and I was starting to fence again. At the start of March a
      virus attacked the sciatic nerve in my right leg. The virus is gone,
      but there may be permanent damage.

      My right foot is numb, the degree and size of numbness changes (which
      the professionals tell me is a good sign). The muscles in my right
      leg are not responding properly. I've lost a lot of muscle mass and
      movement in my legs (right one in particular)...

      The medical professionals are hoping the nerve will heal itself and
      the problem will just go away. They really don't know what is wrong
      other than the nerve is not working properly. I have an MRI scheduled
      for this summer, and boy do I hope it heals before that...

      I am fencing now, but I'm not up to normal abilities. I traveled from
      Ottawa to Hamilton last weekend and set my recovery back weeks due to
      too long in the car, etc. and made me realize that recovery is not
      guaranteed this time. So I'm not able to fence as well as I used to,
      and my travel is limited. My balance is off and sometimes I have
      problems walking right now, on a good day most people wont notice it,
      on a bad day I limp, wobble and have to lay down to rest a lot.

      I'm hoping I can make a decent showing at Coronation on the 24th, as I
      should be able to travel to Kingston. And cross my fingers my leg
      will be stable enough to allow me to fence some.

      I don't know if I will ever be good enough to play a prize fight in
      the EAoD again. I have the small hope I will be able to fight my
      provost prize at War to the Trilliums, but I'm pretty sure I would not
      be able to complete the prize before my leg gave out.

      ~Wilhelm von Pottruff
      Message 2 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
        That must be very frustrating! Does fencing from a chair help at all,
        or just a new frustration?

        On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Ross Weaver <ross.weaver@...> wrote:
        > I don't know if I will ever be good enough to play a prize fight in
        > the EAoD again.  I have the small hope I will be able to fight my
        > provost prize at War to the Trilliums, but I'm pretty sure I would not
        > be able to complete the prize before my leg gave out.

        Concentrate on getting better, the prize will still be there, waiting
        to be conquered.

        Do you have a good massage therapist? Hoskuld got a lot of benefit
        for his shoulder from a good one, it appears to have healed without
        the surgery that was anticipated at one point.

        Eyrny
      • Ross Weaver
        Message 3 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
          > That must be very frustrating! Does fencing from a chair help at all,
          > or just a new frustration?
          Had to try that before when my leg has having problems. It wasn't too
          bad, although turning to face an opponent was difficult.

          > Do you have a good massage therapist? Hoskuld got a lot of benefit
          > for his shoulder from a good one, it appears to have healed without
          > the surgery that was anticipated at one point.
          I've thought about that, it is one the few things I'm not trying
          really. Right not it is a bit of a shotgun approach to recovery, here
          try this see it if it helps...

          ~Wil
          Message 4 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
            Wilhelm,

            I'm sorry to hear about your injury.  You have Cainder and my wishes and prayers for a full recovery.

            Mateo

            Message 5 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
              If you're looking for more ideas for the shotgun approach, and if you haven't' thought of it yet - acupuncture worked for Cainder's tensis elbow and others I've talked to have found it helps with rehabilitation of muscles.

              However, you know your own body of course - we're just offering ideas because we care and hope our friend gets better.

              Mateo

              Message 6 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
                My sympathies.
                Few things are more frustrating than willing spirit meeting with weak flesh.
                I hope the shotgun catches something and you are soon on the road to recovery.

                Giovanni

                On Thu, Apr 8, 2010 at 11:04 AM, Ross Weaver <ross.weaver@...> wrote:
                > I've been thinking of writing this letter for a bit but it is hard.
                >
                > Most of you don't know, but I have been injured.  It limits my ability
                > to travel and fence.
                >
                > I have been encountering problems with Sciatic nerve since January,
                > and I was unable to fence.  It was looking healed by the end of
                > February, and I was starting to fence again.  At the start of March a
                > virus attacked the sciatic nerve in my right leg.  The virus is gone,
                > but there may be permanent damage.
                >
                > My right foot is numb, the degree and size of numbness changes (which
                > the professionals tell me is a good sign).  The muscles in my right
                > leg are not responding properly.  I've lost a lot of muscle mass and
                > movement in my legs (right one in particular)...
                >
                > The medical professionals are hoping the nerve will heal itself and
                > the problem will just go away.  They really don't know what is wrong
                > other than the nerve is not working properly.  I have an MRI scheduled
                > for this summer, and boy do I hope it heals before that...
                >
                > I am fencing now, but I'm not up to normal abilities.  I traveled from
                > Ottawa to Hamilton last weekend and set my recovery back weeks due to
                > too long in the car, etc. and made me realize that recovery is not
                > guaranteed this time.  So I'm not able to fence as well as I used to,
                > and my travel is limited.  My balance is off and sometimes I have
                > problems walking right now, on a good day most people wont notice it,
                > on a bad day I limp, wobble and have to lay down to rest a lot.
                >
                > I'm hoping I can make a decent showing at Coronation on the 24th, as I
                > should be able to travel to Kingston.  And cross my fingers my leg
                > will be stable enough to allow me to fence some.
                >
                > I don't know if I will ever be good enough to play a prize fight in
                > the EAoD again.  I have the small hope I will be able to fight my
                > provost prize at War to the Trilliums, but I'm pretty sure I would not
                > be able to complete the prize before my leg gave out.
                >
                > ~Wilhelm von Pottruff

              • L. Tremblay
                Message 7 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
                  Yes, there will be fencing at Coronation. As soon as I get more details
                  as to what our space will be like and how much time we'll have, I will
                  give you all more details on what the day's format will be.

                  Stay tuned,
                  Lars

                  __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 5011 (20100408) __________

                  http://www.eset.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Apr 8, 2010
                    Cool! I may actually be there.

                    Yes, there will be fencing at Coronation. As soon as I get more details
                    as to what our space will be like and how much time we'll have, I will
                    give you all more details on what the day's format will be.

                    Stay tuned,
                    Lars

                    database 5011 (20100408) __________

                    http://www.eset <http://www.eset.com> com

                  • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
                    Message 9 of 9 , Apr 10, 2010
                      Excellent! I will be in attendance, I'll make sure I have my gear. :)

                      Yoshi