Impending Fencing Megapractice

    Message 1 of 12 , Apr 5, 2010

      This is another reminder that the Canton of Der Welfengau will be holding a
      large fencing practice on Sunday, April 11th in Peter Clark Hall, University
      Centre (UC), University of Guelph. The room is booked from 10 am until 5 pm.
      To get to Peter Clark Hall go to the UC, and take the stairs or elevator
      down one level. It is the very large hall on that level.

      Here is a very tentative schedule for the day:

      10:00 am - 11:00 am Inspections, warm ups and some drill work
      11:00 am - 12:30 pm Open Practice/Authorizations
      12:30 pm - 2:00 pm Lunch/Marshal's Course/Open Practice
      2:00 pm - 3:00 pm Class on Cut & Thrust/Open Practice
      3:00 pm - 5:00 pm Fechtschule Tourney Experiment/Open Practice

      I've tried to give lots of time for people to just fence if they want to. As
      I've mentioned a couple of times before, if anyone is interested in teaching
      something, there is plenty of time to fit in a class or two. I'm planning on
      running some basic Italian footwork drills at the beginning of the day as I
      do this at all the practices I run. If anyone has useful drills to run, the
      floor is yours and I hope people participate. It is a practice after all.

      As noted, I will be running the Marshal's Course over lunch, so those who
      are interested, please brush up on your rules knowledge.

      The Fechtschule Tourney Experiment is intended to work out the kinks in a
      tournament I'm going to be running at FOOL this year. In this tourney, which
      is based on a 16th c. German example, there is no individual victor, but one
      team will triumph over the other. Those fencers wishing to participate will
      be split up into two groups, one representing the fencers of the Brotherhood
      of St. Mark (the Marxbrudder) and one representing the Free Fencers
      (Federfechters). Each team will elect a Captain, and it will be the
      Captain's responsibility to select who will fence who. Each side will
      alternate picking a fencer. Once a fencer is picked, the opposing Captain
      will select the opponent for that combatant, matched weapons preferred. The
      winner of the match will be given a token and the side with the most wins
      after everyone has fenced once will be victorious. This tourney incorporates
      elements of the Fechtschule and elements from the Rapier Champions Tourney
      held at Pennsic.

      Also, as I have mentioned, I'm willing to book table(s) at the Shakespeare's
      Arms for supper after practice but I'd like to know who is interested in
      advance so I can book space. So far I haven't heard anything so I haven't
      booked. Please let me know off list if you'd like to sup there and I can
      make arrangements. Here is a link to the pub's web site:

      http://www.shakespearearms.ca/

      In terms of parking, the best lot is probably P31, near the bus loop that
      goes in front of the UC. Unfortunately, because of the bus loop, you cannot
      drop your stuff at the door and then park, unless you want to risk a ticket
      for driving in the bus loop. Here is a link to the parking map:

      http://www.parking.uoguelph.ca/images/Parking_Map_2008-09.pdf

      Armoured combatants are welcome to attend as long as they provide their own
      Marshals. There should be more than enough space for all but the fencing
      takes precedent.

      I'm calling this a megapractice because I'm hoping that it will be something
      more than your usual week night/weekend canton or shire practices. The ones
      who can make this practice truly mega are you, the fencers of Ealdormere, so
      I hope to see as many of you there as possible. If you have any questions,
      please contact me off list.

      Yours in service;

      Albrecht
      KRM, Ealdormere
      Message 2 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
        From Gerrard; There will be a total of 5 ( M&M's) attending and would like
        to have 5 spots reserved for evening meal.

        At Fool I will be teaching a class soo I hope to do some fencing however ..
        ??

      • Kurushima Yoshiatsu
        Message 3 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
          I will be in attendance, though I'm unsure if anyone else from Ben Dunfirth will be attending. I will post the message once again in our Yahoo Group.

          Yoshi

          Message 4 of 12 , Apr 6, 2010
            Thank you!

            --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroup <mailto:E_Rapier%40yahoogroups.com> s.com,
            "thltoymaker" <thltoymaker@...> wrote:

            > From Gerrard; There will be a total of 5 ( M&M's) attending and would like
            > to have 5 spots reserved for evening meal.
            >
            > At Fool I will be teaching a class soo I hope to do some fencing however
            ..
            > ??

          • T Booth
            Message 5 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
              Looks like Trinovantia is going to be bringing up at least 8 fencers. See you all Sunday.

              Tadc
              Trinovantia Nova Group Rapier Marshel
              AKA
              Tyler Booth

              Reclaim your name @... or @.... Get your new email address now! Go to http://ca.promos.yahoo.com/jacko/
              Message 6 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
                That is awesome. Is anyone interested in the pub afterwards? I was hoping to
                call and make reservations today.

                Looks like Trinovantia is going to be bringing up at least 8 fencers. See
                you all Sunday.

                Tadc
                Trinovantia Nova Group Rapier Marshel
                AKA
                Tyler Booth

                Reclaim your name @... or @.... Get your new email address
                now! Go to http://ca.promos <http://ca.promos.yahoo.com/jacko/>
                yahoo.com/jacko/

                Message 7 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
                  I'll need to be heading home after the practice so I'll have to take a raincheck.

                  Mateo

                  Reclaim your name @... or @rocketmail. com. Get your new email address

                  Message 8 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
                    On Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 8:49 AM, Eve Harris & David Stamper
                    <evedave1@...> wrote:
                    > That is awesome. Is anyone interested in the pub afterwards? I was hoping to
                    > call and make reservations today.

                    I won't know if that will work with the kids or not, until we reach
                    the end of the day. Sorry :-(

                    Message 9 of 12 , Apr 7, 2010
                      Currently I've reserved space for 10 people at 6 pm. I don't think it will
                      be a problem if we have a few extra bodies but I don't want there to be a
                      sudden rush at the end. Again, if you want to go to the pub afterwards,
                      please let me know soon, or at least by the morning of the practice.

                      Thank you!

                      Message 10 of 12 , Apr 11, 2010
                        Thanks Albrecht & Isaac, that was fun!

                        Eyrny
                      • Kathryn Halliday
                        Message 11 of 12 , Apr 11, 2010
                          Fully Agreed! I was definitely tired going home! and got unrusty!

                          ~ Kathryn Halliday

                          To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                          From: kgormanshaw@...
                          Date: Sun, 11 Apr 2010 18:23:52 -0400