Re: [E_Rapier] Re: [RapierMarshals] Digest Number 643

    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 13, 2009
      On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 8:50 PM, <argh@...> wrote:
      > I will counter your Fabris-Capo Fero observations with ome of my own on this front.  An this goes back to what I was
      > saying about over interpreting in a translation.  Or in this case the sometime very ambiguous nature of the texts.

      IIRC, Leoni did a translation of the italian and then double checked
      it by doing a translation of a german version. While there is no
      guarantee that it is perfect, it does have the advantage of having
      multiple checks.

      --j
    • argh@cogeco.ca
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 13, 2009
        It wasn't the proof reading I was alluding to, it is more the mindset of the author when composing a translation. Is
        the intention to be definitive and clear in the interpretation, or to be scholastically correct? The two are often very
        difficult concepts to reconcile.

        To much clarity means that the translator has defined truth fro amibguites and not necessarily reflecting the agenda of
        the original work, rather their own interpretation of what the "truth" is. Of course good scholarly translations can be
        much more difficult to read because the emphasize the ambiguity and force the reader to ponder mean=ings at every turn.

        Of course, I prefer the latter, but there would also be alot of people who call me pedantic too.

        > On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 8:50 PM, <argh@...> wrote:
        > > I will counter your Fabris-Capo Fero observations with ome of my own on this front. An this goes back to what I was
        > > saying about over interpreting in a translation. Or in this case the sometime very ambiguous nature of the texts.
        >
        > IIRC, Leoni did a translation of the italian and then double checked
        > it by doing a translation of a german version. While there is no
        > guarantee that it is perfect, it does have the advantage of having
        > multiple checks.
        >
        > --j

        Aaron Miedema
        Lentus autem non celer sum.
      • argh@cogeco.ca
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 13, 2009
          On another note, what does this "IIRC" abreviation mean?

          > On Sat, Oct 10, 2009 at 8:50 PM, <argh@...> wrote:
          > > I will counter your Fabris-Capo Fero observations with ome of my own on this front. An this goes back to what I was
          > > saying about over interpreting in a translation. Or in this case the sometime very ambiguous nature of the texts.
          >
          > IIRC, Leoni did a translation of the italian and then double checked
          > it by doing a translation of a german version. While there is no
          > guarantee that it is perfect, it does have the advantage of having
          > multiple checks.
          >
          > --j

          Aaron Miedema
          Lentus autem non celer sum.
        • L. Tremblay
          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 13, 2009
            If I Recall Correctly, IIRC.

            __________ Information from ESET NOD32 Antivirus, version of virus signature database 4504 (20091013) __________

            http://www.eset.com
          • argh@cogeco.ca
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 13, 2009
              OK, that makes sence.

              > If I Recall Correctly, IIRC.
              >
              > argh@... wrote:
              > >

              > > On another note, what does this "IIRC" abreviation mean?

              > > own on this front. An this goes back to what I was
              > > the sometime very ambiguous nature of the texts.
              > > >
              > > > IIRC, Leoni did a translation of the italian and then double checked
              > > > it by doing a translation of a german version. While there is no
              > > > guarantee that it is perfect, it does have the advantage of having
              > > > multiple checks.
              > > >
              > > > --j
              > > >

              > > Aaron Miedema
              > > Lentus autem non celer sum.