Re: [E_Rapier] Re: Fencing Armor

  • patchett
    Message 1 of 25 , Apr 11 7:08 AM
      c_bakema wrote:
      > on an other note, I'm not keen on buying a $200 sewing machine, and
      > my hand sewing is crummy. So a friend (non SCA) suggested on of those
      > little hand held stiching things. They only do one kind of stich or
      > something... Just wondering if that might work.

      I think that you will likely spend more time repairing the seams made
      with one of those hand held things.

      Hand stitching is just a matter of practice. 10 years ago I couldn't
      hand sew either, I did everything by machine. Now, well, I believe that
      I've been called crazy on more than one occasion, since I hand sew
      everything including Edward's fencing and fighting kit.

      If you're interested in getting some tip and tricks on how to make your
      hand sewing better, have one of the Trino people introduce me at the
      next event. I love getting people hooked on handsewing. :-)

      Rylyn
    • c_bakema
      Message 2 of 25 , Apr 11 7:09 AM
        My b/f sister has a sewing machine that she never uses ( I guess
        cause she doesn't know how to use it) I might be able to go to her
        place once in a while and use it. Maybe in exchange for watching
        their daughter (soon to be 3, and a handful).

        - Catan

        --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, Kathleen Gormanshaw

        Message 3 of 25 , Apr 11 7:21 AM
          c_bakema wrote:
          > My b/f sister has a sewing machine that she never uses ( I guess
          > cause she doesn't know how to use it) I might be able to go to her
          > place once in a while and use it. Maybe in exchange for watching
          > their daughter (soon to be 3, and a handful).
          >
          > - Catan

          Don't expect to sew while watching that handful! :-)

          Eyrny
          Mother of a 2 and 4 year old, and the 4 year old just finished her first
          sewing project :-)
        • c_bakema
          Message 4 of 25 , Apr 11 7:29 AM
            hehe, no I was thinking sewing and then watching her. Yay for the
            little one. It probably looks better then my hand sewing.

            And sure Rylyn I love meeting new people

            Message 5 of 25 , Apr 11 7:41 AM
              You don't have to spend $200 on a sewing machine...

              I've never paid more than $50 for one. And that was to have one
              professionally cleaned as I couldn't get the screws out to remove the bottom
              plate. Usually I do that sort of thing myself.

              You need to look into Keepers, Salvation Army and Goodwill on a regular
              basis. Especially this time of year, they're fairly easy to find second
              hand. Look for older models, they were made better. Often times, they'll
              just need a bit of cleaning or at most a new belt. If you're able to make
              it into London at all, check with ANY of the sewing machine repair places.
              (or any other city, of course) Often they will sell machines that have been
              brought in for repair and then left/forgotten. You can frequently get a fabu
              machine for a really fabu price that way.

              You know, I think you're more impatient for us to get moved and resettled
              than we are! LOL

              Hang in there,
              Cainder

              @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
              MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
              Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
              @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
              hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

              Message 6 of 25 , Apr 11 7:43 AM
                c_bakema wrote:
                > hehe, no I was thinking sewing and then watching her. Yay for the
                > little one. It probably looks better then my hand sewing.

                I haven't let her use the sewing machine by herself yet, having sewed my
                own finger once, I'm not ready for her to learn that trick. So the
                project she finished was hand sewn and I guarantee you can do better :-)
                Hers is going to fall apart before too long, and then she'll get to
                try again!

                Eyrny
              • c_bakema
                Message 7 of 25 , Apr 11 9:13 AM
                  I also have no where to keep a sewing machine (forgot to add that in
                  my first post)
                  Eeeps now I'm blushing, do I really seem that eager for you guys to
                  get done?
                  I'm starting to find that everthing I need/want is in london... A
                  place I can't easily get. It's a verrrry long walk. Thats right I
                  have no car (can't drive yet anyhow).
                  I think getting everything together is the hardest part.

                  - Catan
                  MKA Corri

                  --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, "Kelly Wyatt" <kgarlow@...> wrote:

                  > You don't have to spend $200 on a sewing machine...
                  >
                  > I've never paid more than $50 for one. And that was to have one
                  > professionally cleaned as I couldn't get the screws out to remove
                  the bottom
                  > plate. Usually I do that sort of thing myself.
                  >
                  > You need to look into Keepers, Salvation Army and Goodwill on a
                  regular
                  > basis. Especially this time of year, they're fairly easy to find
                  second
                  > hand. Look for older models, they were made better. Often times,
                  they'll
                  > just need a bit of cleaning or at most a new belt. If you're able
                  to make
                  > it into London at all, check with ANY of the sewing machine repair
                  places.
                  > (or any other city, of course) Often they will sell machines that
                  have been
                  > brought in for repair and then left/forgotten. You can frequently
                  get a fabu
                  > machine for a really fabu price that way.
                  >
                  > You know, I think you're more impatient for us to get moved and
                  resettled
                  > than we are! LOL
                  >
                  > Hang in there,
                  > Cainder
                  >
                  > @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                  > MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
                  > SCA -Bantiarna Cainder ingen hui Chatharnaig
                  > Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
                  > @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                  > Justus, Fortis, Patiens - Per chevron argent and sable, two sprigs
                  of witch
                  > hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.
                • Anna B
                  Message 8 of 25 , Apr 11 9:41 AM
                    Greetings Catan,

                    Welcome to the fencing family!

                    Several (friendly) words of warning:

                    Stay away from their Excellencies Rylyn and Erny. They are both evil, evil women, well versed in their particular brands of whily charms, and each one will invariably try (and most likely succeed) in getting you hooked into their particular brand of addiction (A&S for the one, fencing for the other) whether you're prepared to or not. Be especially wary if they walk up to you with a most disarming smile on their face, because you fill find yourself involved in some nepharoius scheme or other.. You'll soon learn to recognize that smile.. especially after taking the list once or twice against Erny.. if you have not already done so..

                    On the other hand, I can't think of any two Ladies more willing to assist you with any sort of nepharious scheme that you might want to cook up yourself..

                    And Cainder.. dear dear Caninder. She who is able to find $200.00 composite bows at a garage sale for $20... When she says that *she* has never spent more than $50 on a sewing machine keep in mind that it is *she* who has never spent more than $50 on a sewing machines, and the rest of us mortals are not nearly as fortunate in our bargain hunting.

                    Oh and although he has yet to (surprisingly) poke his head into this conversation, watch out for 'Crazy Uncle' Gerrard. You'll note him cackling in the corner, surrounded by eager little children, building another nasty little contraption. He too is a bad, bad man, in the most lovable way possible.

                    Cheers,
                    Rusalka

                    Message 9 of 25 , Apr 11 10:05 AM
                      I must say that I find my SCA life most strange.

                      I became involved in the SCA 3 or so years ago. I started with the
                      heavys strangely enough. I quickly became part of the group and have
                      many large men I still call friends.
                      Alas, my joy was short lived. Mundane life went sour and I lost
                      contact with those burly fighters.
                      After suffering in boredom for a year or so, I met a wonderful young
                      man (whom I'm still with) and we began seeing each other. It was to
                      my surprise he was a fencer, and thus I have friends with the
                      fencers. I didn't much enjoy fencing at the time (but i believe that
                      is because I'm uncomfortable in loaner gear) so I sat on the side and
                      made friends with those who prefer Arts and Science.
                      Then life again reared its ugly head, in the form of school for me
                      and full time work for him, and again life dwindled into to boredom.
                      Then a fate filled day a few weeks ago, had me and this young man
                      eating lunch in the mall. And who did we see sitting alone reading a
                      magazine with a picture of an archer on the cover (or maybe that was
                      the page he was looking at when we passed... no matter), David (His
                      SCA name escapes me).
                      We joined him for lunch and soon there after I began contacting those
                      I knew from before.
                      And here I am again.

                      I believe that is my SCA life in a nut shell, if any who know me have
                      bits to add. Feel free.

                      - Catan
                      MKA Corri

                      --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, Anna B <abaginski@...> wrote:

                      > Greetings Catan,
                      >
                      > Welcome to the fencing family!
                      >
                      > Several (friendly) words of warning:
                      >
                      > Stay away from their Excellencies Rylyn and Erny. They are both
                      evil, evil women, well versed in their particular brands of whily
                      charms, and each one will invariably try (and most likely succeed) in
                      getting you hooked into their particular brand of addiction (A&S for
                      the one, fencing for the other) whether you're prepared to or not.
                      Be especially wary if they walk up to you with a most disarming smile
                      on their face, because you fill find yourself involved in some
                      nepharoius scheme or other.. You'll soon learn to recognize that
                      smile.. especially after taking the list once or twice against Erny..
                      if you have not already done so..

                      > On the other hand, I can't think of any two Ladies more willing
                      to assist you with any sort of nepharious scheme that you might want
                      to cook up yourself..

                      > And Cainder.. dear dear Caninder. She who is able to find
                      $200.00 composite bows at a garage sale for $20... When she says
                      that *she* has never spent more than $50 on a sewing machine keep in
                      mind that it is *she* who has never spent more than $50 on a sewing
                      machines, and the rest of us mortals are not nearly as fortunate in
                      our bargain hunting.

                      > Oh and although he has yet to (surprisingly) poke his head into
                      this conversation, watch out for 'Crazy Uncle' Gerrard. You'll note
                      him cackling in the corner, surrounded by eager little children,
                      building another nasty little contraption. He too is a bad, bad man,
                      in the most lovable way possible.

                      > Cheers,
                      > Rusalka
                    • patchett
                      Message 10 of 25 , Apr 11 10:43 AM
                        I'm not sure if I should be flattered or insulted. :-)

                        Rylyn

                        Message 11 of 25 , Apr 11 10:48 AM
                          David...Hmmm....would that be "Gabriel" in the SCA? Mateo's rebellious son?
                          Run off one evening out of the blue to join the nefarious ship White Rose
                          in rebellion of his father's edicts that he must work harder at his fencing
                          skills and take on more responsibility on the Crimson Star as he grows into
                          maturity. Gone these many months only to recently wash up on the shores of
                          Trinovantia once again repentant and humbled, ready to rebuild what he left
                          behind. As so many have before him...

                          Everyone's got a story. What's yours? *grin*

                          Cainder
                          who loves a good story...

                          @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                          MKA - Kelly Wyatt kgarlow@...
                          Seeblatt Herald, Kingdom of Ealdormere
                          @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
                          hazel and a snowy owl counterchanged.

                          >From: "c_bakema" <c_bakema@...>
                          >To: E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com
                          >Subject: [E_Rapier] Re: Fencing Armor
                          >Date: Wed, 11 Apr 2007 17:05:19 -0000
                          >
                          >I must say that I find my SCA life most strange.
                          >
                          >snipped for brevity<

                          >Then a fate filled day a few weeks ago, had me and this young man
                          >eating lunch in the mall. And who did we see sitting alone reading a
                          >magazine with a picture of an archer on the cover (or maybe that was
                          >the page he was looking at when we passed... no matter), David (His
                          >SCA name escapes me).
                          >We joined him for lunch and soon there after I began contacting those
                          >I knew from before.
                          >And here I am again.
                          >
                          >I believe that is my SCA life in a nut shell, if any who know me have
                          >bits to add. Feel free.
                          >
                          > - Catan
                          >MKA Corri
                        • David Whitford
                          Message 12 of 25 , Apr 11 11:02 AM
                            ...yes
                            Robert
                            pesky southerner
                            --- patchett <patchett@...> wrote:

                            > I'm not sure if I should be flattered or insulted.
                            > :-)
                            >
                            > Rylyn
                            >
                            > Anna B wrote:
                            > > Greetings Catan,
                            > >
                            > > Welcome to the fencing family!
                            > >
                            > > Several (friendly) words of warning:
                            > >
                            > > Stay away from their Excellencies Rylyn and
                            > Erny. They are both evil, evil women, well versed
                            > in their particular brands of whily charms, and each
                            > one will invariably try (and most likely succeed) in
                            > getting you hooked into their particular brand of
                            > addiction (A&S for the one, fencing for the other)
                            > whether you're prepared to or not. Be especially
                            > wary if they walk up to you with a most disarming
                            > smile on their face, because you fill find yourself
                            > involved in some nepharoius scheme or other..
                            > You'll soon learn to recognize that smile..
                            > especially after taking the list once or twice
                            > against Erny.. if you have not already done so..
                            > >
                            > > On the other hand, I can't think of any two
                            > Ladies more willing to assist you with any sort of
                            > nepharious scheme that you might want to cook up
                            > yourself..

                            TV dinner still cooling?
                            http://tv.yahoo.com/
                          • c_bakema
                            Message 13 of 25 , Apr 13 7:08 AM
                              No not that David. The man I'm thinking of has a lovely wife named
                              Gina. Perhaps I've got his name wrong, it's been known to happen.
                              May I apply agin to be a member of the crew of Crimson Star. Unless
                              you've found a new cook. Perhaps I can tempt eveyone with fresh baked
                              bread and honey butter (as long as the bread turns out nice thats
                              what I'm hopping to bring on thurs).

                              - Catan

                              Message 14 of 25 , Apr 13 10:16 AM
                                Greetings Catan,

                                I believe you are asking after Lord Edmund de la Haye.
                                I'm jumping in at the end of this thread, so I
                                apologize for not being able to provide more
                                information other than he is doing well and is still a
                                valuble member of the crew of the Crimson Star. His
                                wife Gina still remains our Navigator.

                                As for your return to the Crimson Star, we have had no
                                Cook since you left and have been suffering under grog
                                and ship's biscuits. Moreso the grog... You would be
                                most welcome in your return. Please report to the
                                Quartermaster with your supplies. The Boatswain will
                                assist you, presently. No need for return to shore, I
                                assure you -- I will send others to fetch what you
                                need. Please follow the Boatswain...

                                :>

                                Welcome back to the Crimson Star,

                                Captain Mateo de Merida

                                http://mail.yahoo.com
                              • c_bakema
                                Message 15 of 25 , Apr 13 3:00 PM
                                  Thank you, Captain, for help with his name; and for allowing me to
                                  return after my absence.
                                  It's good to be returning; perhaps some one could send me a list of
                                  our crew so I might know who does what and not be confused again.
                                  Also if the crew has some dish they might like me to try making (as
                                  long as it's not to expensive, the food budget is small. and none to
                                  hard to make) I would be willing to give it a try.
                                  I will do my best to bring a small snack to practice, so our fighters
                                  may keep up their strength.

                                  - Catan

                                  --- In E_Rapier@yahoogroups.com, John Wyatt <jwyatt2@...> wrote:

                                  > Greetings Catan,
                                  >
                                  > I believe you are asking after Lord Edmund de la Haye.
                                  > I'm jumping in at the end of this thread, so I
                                  > apologize for not being able to provide more
                                  > information other than he is doing well and is still a
                                  > valuble member of the crew of the Crimson Star. His
                                  > wife Gina still remains our Navigator.
                                  >
                                  > As for your return to the Crimson Star, we have had no
                                  > Cook since you left and have been suffering under grog
                                  > and ship's biscuits. Moreso the grog... You would be
                                  > most welcome in your return. Please report to the
                                  > Quartermaster with your supplies. The Boatswain will
                                  > assist you, presently. No need for return to shore, I
                                  > assure you -- I will send others to fetch what you
                                  > need. Please follow the Boatswain...
                                  >
                                  > :>
                                  >
                                  > Welcome back to the Crimson Star,
                                  >
                                  > Captain Mateo de Merida
                                • David Fleuelling
                                  Message 16 of 25 , Apr 13 5:34 PM
                                    Me?? Rebellious?? I would never do such a thing.. But then again. I do have to bring pain to my own father sometimes when he doesn't listen.. Hrmm.. Oh well.. Oh, by the way Cainder, has anyone heard on whether or not the White Rose still sails the seas? It has been some time since I have heard from my dear captain, Muirgen. Any info would be great (although I suppose I could come out and poke my head around some more since I no longer work nights). Thanks!

                                    Gabriel de Merida
                                    aka Dave Fleuelling

                                    Message 17 of 25 , Apr 16 6:39 AM
                                      Greetings Gabriel,

                                      I'm afraid I haven't heard from Lady Captain Muirgien in a while. However
                                      due to the unrest in Septentria of late, many of the Trinovantia fleet seem
                                      to have made themselves scarce... There is a rumour that she's locked
                                      herself away with her cabin boy on some tropical island though I'm sure
                                      that's unfounded.

                                      I'm certain our Captain Mateo will have some news for us all shortly on the
                                      Septentrian front. He bravely attended the court of their Excellencies
                                      Septentria and I understand that recently the line of Septentria has been
                                      secured so that is a relief. The crew of the Star would be most pleased to
                                      see you out to practice this week. I'm endeavouring to make sure that the
                                      Captain is able to attend as I'm sure he would be pleased to exchange sword
                                      "tinks" with you.

                                      Work to prepare for our impending departure to the new castle is proceeding
                                      of a pace. We'll be very pleased to be settled into it at the end of the
                                      month though I'm sure that there will be more work required once we're
                                      there. We look forward to hosting some armour making nights this spring!

                                      Take care,
                                      Cainder