A&S schedule was Re: GERMAN LONG SWORD CLASS

  • patchett
    Message 1 of 9 , Oct 4, 2009
      Hi all from the autocrat,

      1) The EAOD has a dedicated list field for the day. There is no formal
      feast, so the only need to stop is during court. That leaves lots and
      lots of time.

      2) I cannot believe that you would need 3 hours to fight 40 fights. The
      Crown tourney that Edward won had 600 fights in just about 4 hours.
      Duke Aaron himself fought over 300 fights in 8 hours each of 3 days at
      Pennsic when he did his 1000 fights. To fight 40 fights in 3 hours
      means each fight is around 4 minutes each. That boogles my mind, but if
      you need that much time, it's available.

      Rylyn

      Ross Weaver wrote:
      > I'm concerned about the scheduling of the day. Having all 4
      > combatants fight the timed trial and their 40 bouts will easily take 3
      > hours at least. As well if you want the candidates to present/teach
      > their research even concurrently plan 1.5 hours. So the minimum
      > required time is 4.5 hours, which is easily 6 hours if we include the
      > usual interruptions and time to eat a lunch...
      >
      > ~Wilhelm

    • Ross Weaver
      Message 2 of 9 , Oct 4, 2009
        > 1) The EAOD has a dedicated list field for the day. There is no formal
        > feast, so the only need to stop is during court. That leaves lots and
        > lots of time.
        I assume that the dedicated rapier list the long sword is being
        taughtin is the same list as the EAOD has? Please correct me if I
        wrong. If it is the same list this means that the EAOD trials cannot
        begin until noon, which is a good time to start. I know I want at
        least 15-20 minutes to warm up, get ready to fight the other
        candidates, and I assume they would as well, so 12:30 is the earliest
        start time for the trials.

        I'm also assuming we have only space for one bout at a time. Rapier
        needs a larger list that armoured combat. If it is a small list I
        don't mind, I have the advantage then, because out of all the
        combatants, I'm the smallest.

        > 2) I cannot believe that you would need 3 hours to fight 40 fights. The
        > Crown tourney that Edward won had 600 fights in just about 4 hours.
        > Duke Aaron himself fought over 300 fights in 8 hours each of 3 days at
        > Pennsic when he did his 1000 fights. To fight 40 fights in 3 hours
        > means each fight is around 4 minutes each. That boogles my mind, but if
        > you need that much time, it's available.
        Assuming there is one list. There are 4 candidates that must fight 40
        bouts each. That is a minimum of 100 bouts for the entire counted
        trials, at 3 minutes a piece on average (lets assume weapon changes
        and equipment fixes fits into 3 min average). We are looking at 300
        minutes, 5 hours total, if there is one list and everything goes
        smoothly, for the counted bouts. Then 15 minutes a candidate to hold
        the field against all comers adds 1 hour. That is 6 hours of fighting
        and that is everything going well.

        Plus the candidates have been asked to teach/present their research
        projects. Even there if we all do it concurrently we need say 1.5
        hours for project time as well. I could do mine at the same time as
        the long sword class, but I need active space as well to teach Saviolo
        and it would be rude to our guest to have the candidates teaching
        against them. As the teaching has already taken place it doesn't have
        to happen again, that would be easiest way to shorten the process for
        everyone involved.

        Anyhow, just want to make sure everyone involved has thought about the
        amount of time this is all going to take.

        ~Herr Wilhelm
        Message 3 of 9 , Oct 4, 2009
          Unto the rapier populace of Ealdomere do I, Jocelyn Cranewell, Preceptor of the Academy send greetings.

          In resposne to the conscerns respecting list size, schedule and the classes, be assured there is more then one list space,the schedule for the day will be posted shortly, and the class being offered, from a most generous gentle, travelling from Florida, will not impact the timing of the Provost Prize fights.

          Candidates for the Provost prize, note you will be recieving further information respecting the day, prior to Thanksgiving. Should you have any specifice concerns or questions, you are encouraged to email me directly at tamlin01@....

          In service,
          Jocelyn Cranewall
          Preceptor of the Ealdormere Academy of Defense

          Message 4 of 9 , Oct 5, 2009
            On Sat, Oct 3, 2009 at 9:07 AM, Yvonne <tamlin_01@...> wrote:
            > GERMAN LONG SWORD CLASS FOR ARMORED & CUT +THRUST COMBATANTS @ A&S
            >
            > WHAT:
            >
            >  A German Long Sword Class for both armoured & Cut +Thrust combatants.  Techniques translate to great sword and cut + thrust.  Class is 90 mins long.  Participants must bring their own weapons and armour. Registration is limited to 16 combatants of either  Armoured and Cut + Thrust, opening on Oct 13th, first come, first serve.

            What are the equipment requirements?

            Giovanni
            Message 5 of 9 , Oct 5, 2009
              Your Excellency,

              Armor requirements are per the fields from which you decide to play. I am going to try to keep the registration tight so tht we do not get a C&T partenered with an armored combatant.

              If you are authorized C&T, that is the armour standard you must come prepared to ...same to Armored combat.

              I hope that is clear....Anyone else with questions?

              Jocelyn

              Message 6 of 9 , Oct 13, 2009
                To all,

                Apologies, I was to issue this information prior to Thanksgiving..I unfortunately gave into Turkey sickeness..THis informaton wil be out shorlty